Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If a Klingon ship is among the 1/350th scale releases that come after the refit,
which would you like to see?

K'Tinga
D-7, smooth exactly as seen in TOS
D-7, with etched plating lines as seen in the DS9 episode "Trials and Tribbulations"
"Smooth" K'Tinga with add-on "plating" in order to build it either as a D-7 or a K'Tinga?

·
Starship Class
12,112 Posts
Chuck_P.R. said:
"Smooth" K'Tinga with add-on "plating" in order to build it either as a D-7 or a K'Tinga?
The D7 and K'tinga are proportioned differently so this is not a reasonable option.

A D7 with decals for the plating would be nice for the T&T option.

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
If forced to choose, I'd go for the K'tinga.

Qapla'

SSB

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
PerfesserCoffee said:
The D7 and K'tinga are proportioned differently so this is not a reasonable option.

A D7 with decals for the plating would be nice for the T&T option.
There is a slight difference, I agree.

But then again there is a slight difference between the original 33" Enterprise used for the original pilot and the production Enterprise, not just in the bridge dome and the nacelles but some other major hulls sections too - the most noticable being the "lip" on the underside of the saucer.

But no one seems to mind those differences in the TOS E 1/1000th(neither do I, for the record).

Guess one could always do a TON of sanding and make it a "smoothie!!!!"

Given the fact that we are being given a Refit first a K'Tinga as an adversary might make sense until we see a TOS E 1/350th.

If whoever is now in control of any future release decisions puts off contracting for a TOS E 1/350th past the next group they hire Thomas to do(assuming that John P's statement is accurate) they are insane! They are insane to not have it among the current contracted group of subjects as it is! Especially considering how easily John P could whip one up, seeing how much research info he went through for the 1/1000th!

Once again, PL marketing people got cute with perhaps even with their last gasp of what little control they had left!

Sad indeed... :cry:

·
Starship Class
12,112 Posts
Chuck_P.R. said:
There is a slight difference, I agree.

But then again there is a slight difference between the original 33" Enterprise used for the original pilot and the production Enterprise, not just in the bridge dome and the nacelles but some other major hulls sections too - the most noticable being the "lip" on the underside of the saucer.

But no one seems to mind those differences in the TOS E 1/1000th(neither do I, for the record) . . .
There's a thread of folks who have stated they preferred the 1/350th 1701 to be based on the 11 foot model and not the 33" model. Thomas himself considered basing the 10" PL 1701 on the 33" model but did not.

The 11 footer WAS used in the first pilot. The 33" was used on some 'whoosh' shots and distant shots but the first shot of the camera tracking towards the bridge of the 1701 is indeed the 11-footer. Therefore, there is an 11-footer 1st pilot version (though it differs slightly from the 33" first pilot version by lacking detail on the rear of the nacelles which is the only 33" feature I've found on the PL first pilot version that wasn't on the 11-footer 1st pilot version).

As for the D7 vs. K'tinga, I think you'll find the differences too much to incorporate logically into a single kit when it'd be far easier to have two separate model kits.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Taking a D-7 and making it a K'tinga is like taking the original 1701 and turning it into a refit. The shapes are generally the same, but that's it.

I'd choose the K'tinga. A decent 1/350 BOP with landing pads would be cool too.

Dave

·
I make movies
2,575 Posts
Well I'd love to have a BIG D-7, but I love the K'Tinga too. And since we're already getting a 1/350 refit, a 1/350 K'Tinga would be the best compliment.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I'm going to ask a naive question here.
Seems to me that the major difference between the TOS D-7 and the K'Tinga is the surface detail. The general shapes seem to be the same. True? Be gentle with me...

·
Registered
173 Posts
KUROK said:
I'm going to ask a naive question here.
Seems to me that the major difference between the TOS D-7 and the K'Tinga is the surface detail. The general shapes seem to be the same. True? Be gentle with me...
General shapes are the same...emphasis on general. look at the contour of the of the foward "command section" (not the bridge, I mean the bulbous part of the entire foward structure). It isn't the same in both versions. And we all know that in the world of Star Trek modeling, "generally" is doo doo and "exact or accurate" rules. It can be done...but again, it's like taking a Constitution TOS era and including parts to build a refit. The shapes are generally the same but not close enough.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I want a 1/350 TMP K'tinga with:

1) ST:TMP - Smooth Dome/Bridge. (Pre-TMP Filming/Publicity Still)

2) ST:TMP - Enhanced Detailed "Hero" Dome/Bridge. (As filmed in close-ups)

3) ST:VI - Q'onos One Additions. Bridge, Impulse, etc. (I doubt the photo-etched decoration parts would be included due to price, which is fine)

To me... 1 and 2 take priority.

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
PerfesserCoffee said:
>SNIPPERS<
As for the D7 vs. K'tinga, I think you'll find the differences too much to incorporate logically into a single kit when it'd be far easier to have two separate model kits.
Exactly. The very basic shape of the hull is the same. However, the actual angles/dimensions are different enough that they're defnitely different ship designs - not too dissimilar to those of the TOS Enterprise and the Refit IMNSHO. Proportionally, the nacelles on the K'T'Inga are larger than those of the D-7, shape of the command pod is different, command deck/bridge area (the most obvious), shuttle bay area, underside of the secondary hull, connecting boom, etc... Just wouldn't work to make it a "two-fer" for the D-7 or K'T'Inga w/o major suspension of belief from the hoards of Anal Retentive Star Trek modelers out there. ;)

- - - - - -

Jeffrey Griffin
Griffworks Shipyards

Star Trek Scale Modeling WebRing

1 - 16 of 16 Posts