Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Trek Ace said:
Them's foofoo Klingons.
I like that... "foofoo"... I think you just named the ship! I'll see if I can use the klingon runes on the kit decal sheet to spell out the name on the hull! :thumbsup:

When I first saw the PL instructions saying to paint some sections of the ship violet, it raised my eyebrows, as I always remembered the Klingon ship from the show being blue-grey. But after doing some research on the net, it looks like the original model was painted with some violet. So I decided, "what the hey", and am getting creative with it. Also, in one of the movies, isn't klingon blood violet? That means violet must be an extremely feral, menacing color for them! So, taking this logic further, pink must be the ultimate in klingon machismo! LOL.

- Cappy D

·
Registered
741 Posts
I like the 1701 with the pseudo-movie panelling. It makes it connect to the NX-01 and still looks like it could be from the old show, if they had a real budget.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Great job on the D7 and the Enterprise. What masking technique did you use? The masks on the Enterprise look like they would have taken forever to do.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ModlrMike said:
Great job on the D7 and the Enterprise. What masking technique did you use? The masks on the Enterprise look like they would have taken forever to do.
The patterns on Enterprise aren't masks; they're home-made decals. I wrote up a little article on how I built the Enterprise, there is a link below the picture that will take you to it. Since the D7 has larger panels, I painted those, using low-tac laminating sheet for masking material (available at Staples). I'm in the process of cutting the 2nd layer of paneling. Since this layer will be slightly raised, I'm cutting the patterns from craft tape, which I will paint and then attach to the model.

-Cappy D

·
Registered
721 Posts
Really awesome work. The TOS 1701 looks spiffy
in her new paint, and the direction you are heading
in with the D-7 looks nice. :D Great detail on the
shuttle hanger!

Edge

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've posted a new pic of the D7.

http://home.earthlink.net/~sgc6000/personal.htm

As you can see, I started placing the 2nd pattern "warts" (as I like to call them) on the ship. Originally, I was going to use craft tape, but it did not work well with the intricate pattern. I decided to try full sheet clear label stock, which works much better. I just printed the pattern from my computer onto the label sheet, scored around the pattern outline, then airbrushed a coat of acrylic RLM 76 Light Grey.

- Cappy D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts