Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hurray! I finished my Klingon D7. I've posted initial pics on my site:

http://home.earthlink.net/~sgc6000/sf.htm

As you can see, I've done this with the same philosophy as my Enterprise; namely, updating the look to better fit in with the modern shows. This ship is grungy and battle worn, and I created some additional markings to give it more pizazz. I call it the "FooFoo K'boom" (thanks Trek Ace for giving me the idea!:thumbsup: ). Eventually, I'll put more pics up.

- Cappy D

·
Registered
475 Posts
Gotta say thats the best job I have seen on a D-7 yet!

Great work!

Do you need my address so you can send it to me? ;)

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dr. Brad said:
I like i. A lot. Great idea. Really great idea. And nice job on the shuttlebay, too. How'd you do the panelling on the "wings."

Brad.
I printed the pattern, which I had made on my computer, onto full sheet clear label stock. I scored around the pattern, being careful not to cut all the way through the label stock. Then I sprayed on the color, lifted off the cut panels, and affixed them to the model (which had been sprayed with the base coats already).

- Cappy D

·
Registered
391 Posts
I agree with Dr.Brad, great detail work on such a small model Cappy D.

What kind of template did you use for the wing paneling?

Could you post your design for the rest of us to use?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I created the template in Corel Draw. There were a few panels I had to trim "on the fly" to get them to fit properly. I need to make some minor adjustments to the template , but once they're done, I'd be glad to e-mail JPEG files to anyone who wants them.

I'm glad everyone likes the D7! I hope PL comes out with a 1/1000 K'tinga some day. If not, I'll have to modify the D7 kit.

- Cappy D

·
Registered
44 Posts
Very, very nice! I too really like the paneling detail you added, and the purple hook through the Starfleet pennant is an interesting touch as well.

Mark Snyder
Seoul, Korea

·
Registered
343 Posts
Great job! But what got my attention was that beautiful TOS Enterprise, excellent job on those aztec decals! I might try something like that one day.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I look at that kit and I think: "Star Trek:phase II" I would love to see it along side with a Phase II E. I really like seeing someone's artistic license coming through on ships we've all seen. Really, really nice kit.

Dave

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
tardis1916 said:
By the way, where in Arlington do you live? I live near Upton Hills pool.
I'm not far from you at all. I live near Yorktown High School, just off of George Mason Drive.

- Cappy D

·
Registered
632 Posts
I personally like BOTH your ENTERPRISE and D7. I was almost inspired to do the same with my 22" USS Constellation.....but gave up as reproducing your aztec pattern would have taken me to the 23rd century with Microsoft "PAINT".

I actually gave it a day or two before giving up on that idea. Your graphic talent is obvious. Very creative. Can't wait to see what you do on the Refit.....Bob

·
Starship Class
11,820 Posts
Terrific job! Incredible -- seems a perfect blending of ST:TOS and ST:TMP Klingon styles.

·
Registered
343 Posts
In reading your description about the decals, you mention them getting smudged on the first try. I've been told that it's been a good idea to spary the decals with a very thin clear overcoat before putting them on the model. This is supposed to protect them from smudging. I've never done my own decals like that before so I haven't had a chance to try it. I'd love to try it on my AMT 1/537 TOS Enterprise. :)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts