Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why hasn't any of today's producers of model kits begun to produce kits of the huge amount of vintage cartoon characters?
They could be produced in line-ups by production companies (Warner Brothers, Disney, Hanna-Barbara, etc.), separately, or even Famous Cartoon pairs like Tweety & Sylvester, Quick Draw McGraw & Babalooie, Bugs Bunny & Elmer Fudd, Rocky & Bullwinkle, Foghorn Leghorn & The Chicken Hawk, and on and on.
I think they would make for some really neat kits.
What do you think?

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Yes, they would make for some neat kits, but just one of the concerns which kit producers have is how many of the kits would sell. The consensus seems to be that even for extremely popular characters/figures, the amount of kit sales required to put the project into profit is rarely reached.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Well you have to figure the largest part of the model building market nowadays is guys like us: Age 40+.

I can't speak for anyone else, but often I have to tell myself (and the occasional snickering in-law) I'm an adult hobbiest, not a grown man that plays with toys.

To start bringing home kits of WB cartoon characters might be pushing that boundry a little much.

Again - only my opinion. But opinions are like asprins. Everyone takes one from time to time

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Aw, come on, who in our age group wouldn't want a Marvin the Martian kit? :rolleyes: With the recent landing of Curiosity they would sell kabillions of'em!

hal9001-

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
A model kit company told me a problem is that royalties have to be paid in full upfront before they even make the kit.

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
They do make or have made a lot of them... Wacky Racers, Banana Splits, etc. There really isn't a ton of widespread interest in them I don't think. I had a Little Hot Stuff kit and I know the company that did him had some others.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Dark Carnival produced a lot of Bugs &... kits, sculpted by Moto.
Always liked seeing what he would come up w/ next and all of them
were really good.

Buc

·
Registered
895 Posts
Theme parks such as Six Flags (Warner Bros), Universal, Disneyland, etc already have solid plastic or porcelain (ceramic) figures of their characters. Some of these are "toys" and some are collector pieces. I've seen many of the "toy" pieces that look pretty darn good! Disney has an impressive line of porcelain figures/dioramas. Price depends on size and quality. I would think this would meet the needs of most people wanting figures of cartoon characters. I dont believe their would be much of a market for styrene kits.

I'm not suggesting ALL cartoon characters are available but many are.

·
Premium Member
1,749 Posts
Yep, there has been releases of cartoons in the garage resin kits plus Aurora did The Banana Splits. I have that one plus a resin Atom Ant and Quisp cereal. Did Atom Ant. And I've seen others too!

·
Registered
397 Posts
Since we're talking about kits of "vintage" characters, the main problem would be market. There would be too little demand for styrene model kits of The Jetsons, Atom Ant, Josie and the Pussy Cats, Sigmund the Sea Monster, Rocky & Bullwinkle, etc., etc.

Sure, we would all luv this stuff. But there's not enough of us around who all luv those characters AND also luv model building. The market is too niche, and the cost for lic., development and then production (tooling, factories, shipping, etc.) would stifle any and all profits.

So, basically there would be no ROI for most companies wanting to do them.

Regards,

geoff

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
Well still... no one said a cartoon model had to just represent one standing figure from the show with no accessory or vehicle. If anything, without the vehicle you would have an even more less popular kit (I know that is not worded right).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts