Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Elder Statesman
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cannot believe the death of Kirk Douglass got so little attention. Here was an actor whose career spanned decades, and was a more than an icon, he was post war Hollywood.
To John Kricfalusi, the creator of Ren and Stimpy, he was men of men, paying tribute to him in two of his shorts.
Frank Gorshin, I always believed, he mixed his Riddler with Kirk Douglass and Richard Widmark.
I miss movie stars, bigger than life on screen, tonight’s Academy Awards, may be the night 1917 wins the Best Picture Oscar, that film is praised for its camera work, which is Roger Deakins, amazing. But it reminded me of Kirk Douglass’ Stanley Kubrick directed 1957 film Paths of Glory, with its close trenches, and anti-war message.
Kirk Douglass helped end the Hollywood blacklist, with ruined people and caused some to commit suicide, by hiring Daulton Trumbo.
He gets a lot of points for surviving a helicopter crash, a stroke, and living to 103, wow! John Kricfalusi, was right!
Let’s not forget his pairing with his equal, Burt Lancaster, both became producer, actors which ushered in the modern age of filmmaking. Whose last movie together was Tough Guys (1986), a movie that waisted the pairing, but the sight of the then 70-year-old actor lifting free weights inspired me to grow old gracefully.

I am Spartacus- Kirk Douglass, Rest in Peace[

·
Registered
545 Posts
I was shocked when I heard that he passed away. I grew up watching some of his movies, most notably, Spartacus and Disney's 20,000 Lagues Under The Sea. More recently I watched Ace In The Hole and A Letter To Three Wives (which was one of his earliest movies). I haven't gotten around to watching The Strange Love Of Martha Ivers and now I want to pick up 4 more Kirk Douglas movies, Paths To Glory being one of them. He lived a long life, 103 years old and had an incredible career that spanned decades, one of Hollywood's greatest. RIP. I'm now worried about Olivia de Havilland who is also 103, turning 104 this year.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts