Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Administrator
35,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Based in Korea, King Star, aka Kingstar, made less than (12) castings in their history with (10) known currently. Many have different paint and theme variations having been issued. They are based on Amerian, Japanese, and Germany made full sized vehicles and are considered to be a fairly good likeness of them. Some of the castings are free wheeling. While others have friction pull back motors and have opening doors. They used 'speed' type wheels and have plastic bases. The commercial type vehicles are all based on the Izuzu cab truck with various different payloads used.

Their own first blister card design was clearly inspired by the 1980 Hot Wheels blister card with the words 'Collect Them All" found inside the red 'flame' swirl. Their picture box package design was inspired by Matchbox's Superfast line. The blister card design was later changed to a yellow horizontal bar wth 'King Star Minicar' now found inside the bar field.

In 1976, Diamond Toymakers issued the Mercedes Benz Fire Chief and Medic cars in their "Danger: Explosives" brand of blister carded series.

Meijer Inc, based in Grand Rapids, Michigan, marketed the "Kingstar Mini Car" castings at their chain of department stores.

Known Castings

201 -BMW M1
204 - BMW M1 silver

KS-103 - Fiat Abarth 2000 Coupe

Fire Engine

206a - Ford Econoline Van E150

Izuzu COE Truck

205 - Mercedes-Benz 450SLC - Ambulance, Fire Chief, Green, Police and Red

Nissan Fairlady Z/T
Nissan 280Z

204 - Pontiac Firebird Trans AM

201 - Porsche 930 Turbo

Souced refernces -

Kingstar | hobbyDB
Encyclopedia of Small-Scale Diecast Motor Vehicle Manufacturers - Sahakangas, Foster & Weber (2006)

·
Administrator
35,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
They were also sold at National Grocery Stores in St. Louis, MO in the early '80's as that is where I found most of mine. :)
If you back track through the hyperlinked references you will eventually see Bradshaw Industries as a distributer of diecasts to "select" grocery stores. None are named, but perhaps National was one of the 'select' grocery stores. :cheers2:

·
Administrator
35,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you follow the link to hobby db they also show some castings in red and silver. And a few in a more shiny (spectraflamish) colors. I only saw a green, yellow and blue Firebird though.

Would love to see pictures of the ones you have when you have time! 🤙

·
Administrator
35,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cool! See you already posted them. Are the card backs blank or do they have any information on them?

·
Administrator
35,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know it is hard to accomplish sometimes but if you can show the base of one of them - through the blister - we might be able to make some connections to the production source/factory.

·
Administrator
35,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I kind of remember another reference to dm and the mispelled diamond toyma-r- kers as well. IIRC correctly they were also a distributor and not a manufacturer.

Adding link to Diamond Toymakers

·
Administrator
35,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Cant say that I have ever seen that base design or details ever before. The use of Pontiacs or Trans AM as one word is also unique to me. 🤙

1 - 13 of 13 Posts