Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. I've been away from 1/10 racing for bout 18 years now. I'm looking to get back into it with the Traxxas Slash class that runs at my local track.

I can't remember how chargers work. How long does it take to charge a car these days? wasn't it like half an hour or so?
and what sort of connectors do the Slashes use? pics?

·
Registered
7,168 Posts
Last question first. The Traxxas uses a Traxxas connector. It is a good connector and much better than the old style Tamiya style. It carries a much higher voltage and doesn't create heat. They are also easy to solder on to a battery if it doesn't have the right type.

The charger question is related to what type of battery will be used. Many tracks are allowing Lipo batteries now. Even in our stock Slash classes we allow them because you only need one battery for a day of racing and they last for 1,000 cycles and don't lose power unlike NICAD or NIMH which drop off in power from day one. You can use the same Lipo over and over again the same day.

Even if you don't plan on using a Lipo I would get a charger that can do them and be prepared for the future. Everyone will have a favorite but I like my Ice chargers. They do multiple types of batteries, have variable charge rates, peak methods for NICAD or NIMH or Lipo.

Charge time depends on the type of battery, capacity, and how discharged the battery is when you start. A 5000 MAH battery that has been discharged heavily might take an hour to charge as an example. Hope this helps. Post any other questions.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks nutz
I guess at my track, they run stock 3800 batteries (are they stock? God it's been along time). The Lipo sounds pretty good. Is it like a 6 cell pack? It sounds like things have changed alot over the past 2 decades... I recall when I left that alot more frequencies were going to be offered, but it seems that most tracks still run heats and mains of 10 cars

·
Registered
7,168 Posts
Everything is much better now.

The Lipo battery is far superior to NIMH and NICAD because of the reasons I mentioned. They are more expensive but you don't need to keep buying battery after battery when they fail. Lipos come in 1 cell (3.7volt), 2 cell (7.4volt), and so on through 6 cell. They are rated by MAH as you are familiar with but they also have a C rating and to make it simple that is how they deliver the power. You can get them for minis and full size as well. My local track does not have a Lipo limit for Slash. I run a 5000 MAH 2 Cell with a C rating of 30C. I can actually run two heats (4 minutes) without even charging again. Chargers have advanced to keep up with the batteries.

Motors are moving very to brushless and they go from mild to extreme. ESCs are now like minature computers and have many adjustments built into them.

Radios now operate on 2.4GHZ and there are no channels any longer on them. The radio is bound to the receiver and they are on their own band with no conflict with any other radio. With a 2.4 or Spektrum (one of the most popular brands) you can walk up to the track, turn on radio, turn on vehicle and practice or race with no danger of frequency issues.

Heats and mains are usually limited by the scoring systems not the number of radios and vehicles.

You will enjoy the "new world" as it is easier for the drivers and I think more fun. I have been in RC for more than 30 years and it is better now than ever. Glad you are back.

·
Registered
463 Posts
traxxas now offers a 2.4 GHZ system. I beleive u can get the new slash with the 2.4GHZ as a combo....that is the only way to go....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts