Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 4 stroke push mower. It has a primer bulb and if I prime it several times it will fire up, then fail after 2-3 seconds. However, I can get it started that way and if I push the primer bulb repeatedly after it is started, it will stay running. I have cleaned the carb, the bowl. I have checked the fuel line and changed the gasoline. Any ideas before I sling it in the woods? :)

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
joe;
We need a little more info, right now you are asking "how long is a rope". If you will post the engine manufacturer and any numbers you can find, usually stamped in the metal shroud just above the spark plug. Someone will get you going. Have a good one. Geo

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
specs and numbers

It is a Lawn Boy self-propelled walk behind. I see this:

Tecumseh Power Co.
Fuel: Regular Unleaded
Oil: SAE 30
Model: LV195EA
Spec: 362044D
Dom: 05342KA0188
Engine Family: 6TPXS 1951BC
Disp: 195 CC

·
Registered
98 Posts
you still have an issue with your carb obviously. when you say you cleaned carb what did you do to it? it sounds like you need to completely tear it down and rebuild it. its got some obstruction somewhere in a jet or orifice. strip it, dip it, spray it, blow compressed air through it, rebuild it. should fix your problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I took it apart. Cleaned the o-ring, cleaned the bowl, ran a wire through the jets, visually checked the gas line for any obstruction, made sure the float could go up and down easily and threw out the old gas. Specifically, what else should I do? I am asking because I don't know of anything else, I have limited experience with this.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Your problem is most likely the "tiny" hole near the top of the bowl nut, on some it is almost invisible.
Clamp off the fuel line, remove the carb bowl, release the clamp to see if you have good fuel flow to the carb, raise the float to see that it shuts off the flow with minimal pressure, clean the junk from the bowl, clean the bowl nut, 2 holes close to the bottom and a tiny one about midway up(I usually use the wire from a twist tie), spray all holes, cracks and crevases with brake parts cleaner, reassemble and you should be good to go. If this didn't work it will be probably be necessary to rebuild the carb. If I missed something one of the real mechanics will post to help further. Refer to the photo below for reference only as there are several different ones. Have a good one . Geo
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z120/geogrubb/tec_bowl_nut.jpg

·
Registered
214 Posts
Just a shot,if it still doesn't run after you check the holes in the bowl nut,check your float if it is a brass float.Put it up to your ear see if your can hear gas in the float,if so replace the float.

Jerry

1 - 12 of 12 Posts