Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just saw the thread about keeping and storing diecast picture cards and it got me to thinking how everybody keeps track of the cars??? I use my PC and have a folder for each make (Ford, Chevy, etc.) with a description, release info and two jpeg images attatched to each entry. (3 for WL's) I have somewhere around 800 entries and 2000 pics in the "JL Catalogue". :)

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
I'm not that organized. I just made up an Excel spreadsheet that lists - series, model, color, premium (if there is one), the item number and whether is it is loose or still in the blister pack. So I know what I have, and how many of each model, but unfortunately, it does not tell me where to find one if I need it. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
I made spreadsheets with make, model, color, and release, but then I fell behind and lost track. I did an audit and got caught back up, now I've fallen behind again. Just lazy!!! I like the idea with the pictures SkipperC :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
7,464 Posts
Keep Track? What's that, I look at my displays, if it's there, I have it, if it's not, I don't.

·
Registered
7,693 Posts
I've been keeping track of my diecast on Access databases for years. Before I started collecting JL I was amassing a large collection of Racing Champions, Revell, Matchbox and RCCA stock cars. I had to keep track of what I had because back then there was so much coming out. I have gotten more detailed with what I track: Make, Model, color/description, year, item#, cast#, series/release. Having pics sounds like a great idea! That would work for JL and GL cars, thanks to Wyatt! :thumbsup: Even if I did have a digital camera, I certainly wouldn't take a pic of each car! :freak:

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
I have a database that I use to catalogue my collection. I also use my website for quicker reference. That's what the numbers on the bottom right hand side of the pages are for. For example, 072 cars are located in case number 072. It's very convenient.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
DadsCoronet said:
I've been keeping track of my diecast on Access databases for years. Before I started collecting JL I was amassing a large collection of Racing Champions, Revell, Matchbox and RCCA stock cars. I had to keep track of what I had because back then there was so much coming out. I have gotten more detailed with what I track: Make, Model, color/description, year, item#, cast#, series/release. Having pics sounds like a great idea! That would work for JL and GL cars, thanks to Wyatt! :thumbsup: Even if I did have a digital camera, I certainly wouldn't take a pic of each car! :freak:

YOU DO HAVE a Digi, I just need to find the power cord and its enroute. :wave:

·
Registered
7,693 Posts
BOOGIEVANMAN said:
YOU DO HAVE a Digi, I just need to find the power cord and its enroute. :wave:
WHOA!! Watch out! That puppy is gonna get a lot of use! I've got some ideas for JL shots (NOT jello shots....although.... :drunk: ). LMK if I can help out with the shipping, B. :wave:

·
Registered
704 Posts
I've tried and given up a couple of times (it's time I could spend BUYING toys) but just started looking at programs on the net again today because I guess for insurance reasons it would be nice to document things. There seems to be a lot of programs out there, right now I'm looking at one from http://www.collectiblesolutions.com/ for $25 that seems to be flexible enough without requiring me to be too much of a geek to configure/use it. I'm playing with the demo copy now...

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I use an excel spreadsheet, but i've slowly been converting to a Microsoft Access database.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
GeraldE61 said:
Keep Track? What's that, I look at my displays, if it's there, I have it, if it's not, I don't.
:thumbsup: :lol:

Wish I was that organized. :lol:

Most of mine that are still carded are now in plastic bins (as of last month), under the workbench, in the basement. I have to open the bin to see what's in it as I haven't gotten around to labeling them yet. Pretty pathetic, but if I spend any more time on these things, I'll be doing it outside after the locks have been changed. :lol:

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
69camaro said:
I usa a excel spreadsheet with item description, date purchased, price paid and where purchased.
You keep track of the price!?!? Oh my gosh, that's the last thing I want to be reminded about!

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Here are some pic's of what I call my JL Bible. It's on it's third printing and this should be the last but ever changing edition. :) In the first picture it's Open at page one. God stole the handle and the train won't stop going --
No way to slow down.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
Excel spreadsheet with series name, series # (I use the item # above barcode), series vehicle (in order of date of manufacture, i.e. oldest first), color codes for reference such as "WL", MOMC, loose, etc. All in all it's pretty detailed. I tend to be alittle anal retentive sometimes. Everything except my JL spreadsheet is on my home PC. The JL spreadsheet is on my PC at work. It's getting kind of big with close to 3,000 JLs listed. Don't want to eat up all of my home PC space :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts