Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a GE5000AS. Wife was running it and engine stopped. Has electric and manual start. Electric now just clicks and pull doesn't budge. Prior to this it started easily, either method.. Has/had oil. What now?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I hope I'm wrong, but I'm not seeing a good outcome here.

I think it's either siezed or something, somewhere, has jammed it up.

I think that's why no one else has posted.

-Larry

·
Registered
81 Posts
TechLarry said:
I hope I'm wrong, but I'm not seeing a good outcome here.

I think it's either siezed or something, somewhere, has jammed it up.

I think that's why no one else has posted.

-Larry
I'm going to say the same thing....especially if you can't turn the engine with the pull starter. Take out the spark plug and see if it's damaged. Also, after taking out the spark plug if you see it's undamaged, then with the spark plug out of the engine, see if the engine will turn with the pull starter....keep us informed.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Well, I know you can get a Craftsman 6300 Watt Generator with the B&S Intek for $1000.

If indeed your engine is siezed, I would think repairs would be pretty expensive.

This would be a lot easier hands on in this case :)

It might be worth it to at least pay an evaluation fee to a shop, possibly negotiating the cost towards a new generator if needed.

What I don't want to happen here is you buy a new generator, and then find out it was just something silly wrong with yours, like a jammed starter rope, stick in the fan housing, etc...

-Larry

tunefore said:
Took plug out, no difference. Can it be fixed and is it cheaper to fix or replace?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Took it to shop. Wouldn't electric start. Cord wouldn't budge. They attempted to jump it and the thing unseized and started right up. Running fine now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts