Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Kohler K341. This part is intriguing to me. Engine cranks great, piston moves up and down, valves open and close, however, my points open and close when they want and the "powered" side of the PTO with the keyway turns when it wants while the rest of the engine is rotating.
I havent dug into this machine yet to really understand this. But would it be possible to break a cam and the crank? Reason why im asking is because the points run off the cam, and the PTO runs off the crank. They both turn when they feel like it.
The other weird part is that there is no compression. None, zilch. But the piston and valve appear to be in time with each other when I crank the engine. Possibly spun the crank gear for timing?
(I had the head off and watched them)

The guy that owns it said he was mowing and it acted like it ran out of gas, puffed some smoke and without a sound the engine quit. The above is what I noticed when I did a quick look at it. Other then that, the internals from what I had apart looks great.

Just being curious if anyone ever came across something like this.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi,

I've heard of a car engine with a broken crankshaft, but that is a rare occurrence.

What happens if you turn the motor by hand?
(Might be best to remove spark lead and spark plug.)
First, turn the flywheel side and hold the PTO end.
Does the PTO end turn with the flywheel side or not?
Observe if the piston moves up and down.

Then turn the PTO side and hold the flywheel end.
Does the Flywheel turn with the PTO?
Observe if the piston moves up and down.

Out of interest, what is the condition of the oil?

Kind Regards
AlBunzel

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
DUH, I pulled engine today, I feel like an idiot. The reason I couldnt put 2 and 2 together is because I couldnt watch in the points hole and the pto at the same time. I pulled the engine out and all it is, is a stupid flywheel key. Doesnt matter, I need to pull it anyways to replace the key, so no wasted work. Even with the head laying on the cylinder, it was enough compression to stop the crank and allow the flywheel to spin. Which explains everything I had observed. I forgot how heavy these are.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts