Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious, do any of the K-mart only color variations retain any extra value? Do collectors try to have special color cars in their collections? I've bought a handful of every K-mart color exclusive for the past eight years, and I have run out of space to continue this silly habit?

·
Registered
14,323 Posts
If I were to take a gander... I'd say it's a silly habit! :lol: :thumbsup:

Unless you find someone who's really itching for the Kmart colors.

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
Hey Al Markin in my humble opinion, It's going to depend on the person like Full Flaps said. It depends if they collect the car or not. I got a few of both of the cougars they did in the last K-Day event, because that's what I like to collect.
I try to collect all variations of the 67-69 Mercury cougar that I can even the errors(Have a few of those also).

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
I tried to sell two KDays worth of exclusive colors and didn't ask much more than they cost me. No sale

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
I'm curious, do any of the K-mart only color variations retain any extra value? Do collectors try to have special color cars in their collections? I've bought a handful of every K-mart color exclusive for the past eight years, and I have run out of space to continue this silly habit?
Its just to generate business for Kmart, to get you to walk in the door and hopefully buy something else besides a special color HW

·
Registered
8,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess we all change our collecting habits? I'll put the K-mart color cars in deep storage? I'll continue collecting 1/64th scale "pink-colored" cars for my wifes secret little die-cast collection.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Many end up as dust collectors even long after the event. Actually it was different when they first started doing exclusives as the (cough) "locals" would buy up all they can, but nowadays even they don't care all that much.

·
Registered
570 Posts
seems like the walmart ones are holding better.

i have so many of the first kmart colors its silly! like 15-20 blue tooned z28s.
i dont even go to the events anymore.skipped the last 3 or 4 of them.
the only ones i know that do have aliitle extra value are the cancelled event ones.with the silver 70 firebird.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
K-Day is about going out and meeting other collectors.
It's about community and fellowship. The cars are just
the reason for us to gather.

There are about 1,300 KMart stores. If each one gets
eight inners, there are usually two of each exclusively
decorated model, which means at least 16 per store.
1,300 X 16 = 20,800 produced of each special K-Day car.
And don't forget, many stores get 3, 4, 12 master cases
which have 4 or 8 inners per case ( I forgot).

The K-Day cars are not limited enough to generate any
secondary value. I just spend about 20 minutes perusing
eBay and I didn't see hardly any of the K-Day cars selling.
You may be a couple bucks here and there but for the
most part, as 1970AMX pretty much stated, it isn't worth
the time to try to sell them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts