Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
10,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was at a K Mart store in Mass. today, and there were no GLs on the pegs. I found a woman working in toys and asked if there were any new ones in. She took the peg label to a computer and entered the SKU, then said "not only do we not have any in back, but we're not going to be getting anymore at all. Looks lile the code says they're being discontinued".

Anyone else heard that from their local K Mart????

·
Premium Member
15,494 Posts
I stopped at a K-MART today and there weren't any Greenlights on the pegs, but the sticker was still there with the SKU and price for Greenlight diecast cars. You're lucky Rich, I rarely get anyone to help me.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Maybe each release has a seperate SKU # - We can only hope, but than again our store manager says if they can't keep the product and pegs full the space will be utilized for something else. :(

Mike

·
Registered
12,344 Posts
Kmart isn't local enough for me to keep tabs, but in the few trips I made there this year, they did get them and they did sell because they had gotten more in. As for what they've had lately, couldn't tell ya.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
I'm not sure of the deal, but I'm feeling pretty frustrated here in the Midwest. Lower Michigan, south and east (Indiana, Ohio, NY, etc.) have been getting series 2 for at least a month. Upper Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, etc. have not received a SINGLE series 2. All the stores have done their re-sets and have tags for series 2, but none have gotten them. I have gotten employees in SEVERAL stores to scan them. They have NO auto ship coming and CANNOT order/re-order them. After a SMALL smattering of series 1, this is REALLY dis-heartening. I've resorted to BEGGING to get help obtaining one each of the Green Machine Olds 442's, without ANY luck. People that have extras, want other Green Machines (I'm not blaming them--I would too!), but that doesn't help us out who never get the chance :-(

(All done whining now!) LOL!!

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
edseldave said:
joejames is correct . I have not seen any new Greenlights at WIS K-Marts ...

Thats why I ordered mine online ...
& now have put some extras on<a href="http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-1751-2978-71/1?AID=5463217&PID=1606754&mpre=http%3A//www.ebay.com"> eBay!</a> , after listing them here got no response ..
I ordered my Greenlights Online as well. I just have this little matter of the 2 Green Machine 442's! They're the ONLY 2 I need/want, but it may as well be the WHOLE set...............

·
Registered
191 Posts
I love their themes, but I cannot agree that their detail is all that great on all of their cars (the new Camaros being the exception). Their detail, in my view, is mediocre to decent for a collectible line. I find the undercarriage to crude and raw, the wheels too thick and not nearly realistic enough, and the fit and finish marginally decent at best.

Here are some lines that I think better:

1) All Hot Wheels CoolCollectibles/100%HW/KaliKustoms/Legend series, seem to be obsolete now...
2) The amazing 1/64 American Muscle by Ertl's that came out in 2000, sadly discontinued.
3) 1/64 CM's out of Japan
4) 1/64 Kyoshos out of Japan (only defect here is NO opening panels)
5) 1/64 road race Corvette by GMP:
http://www.gmpdiecast.com/products/default.cfm?category=1%3A64%20Scale%20Corvettes#13621
6) 1/64 Tamiyas from Japan, where the JGTC series were resold in the US through Muscle Machines.
7) The 1/64 Chevy Hot Rod series sold by Muscle Machines (MM is out of it now, but they had some good stuff if you like detailed diecasts with opening panels/engine details)
8) Last nbut not least, the beautiful new "shelby Collectibles" line with all opening panels.

Any thoughts?

Take care,
Robert

·
FnF: Fords n Ferraris
7,828 Posts
sheldon said:
Any thoughts?

Take care,
Robert
Hey Robert, welcome to HT.
I love the 100% HW's and Kalifornia Kustoms but the latest KK were twice as much as a GL for quality I would argue is at best equal. Comparing my HW 70 Boss 429 to the GL 69 Boss 429 I give the nod to the HW for undercarriage and tire size as you stated. The GL has far better detail otherwise. It has the horse in the front grill, a realistic gas cap, an engine painted ford blue with a noticeable ram air cleaner rubber molding. The GL has white lettering on the tires and the Boss 429 and Mustang lettering on the trunk is more realistic.

I also love Ertls. Problems I noted on ERtls were the opposite of GL with the tires, they were way too skinny. Ertl also had a problem when it came to items that were chrome. I think they would have been better off using a silver paint because grills in particular look kind of weird with the plating chrome finish they used( its like too thick).

The Japanese dircast cars are awesome. I wish they were more readily available.

I think the MM/Tamiya JGTC are among the best diecast I have. I wish they were still being sold here.

The Shelby cars are great. My only gripe would be the colors especially with the second series. Bonus points for opening doors and low cost.

I think JL especially the Gold Series cars stand up well to the rest of the pack listed.

You can also add Biante which has the best undercarriage (exhaust pipes that actually look like they are hanging) and very good stock looking rims. Problem with them is they don't have opening hoods and cost a fortune.

I think GL detail is very good and when done right really stands out. Unfortunately I think detail quality finish in the latest set was not as good as in previous sets.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I love the 100% HW's and Kalifornia Kustoms but the latest KK were twice as much as a GL for quality I would argue is at best equal.

Comparing my HW 70 Boss 429 to the GL 69 Boss 429 I give the nod to the HW for undercarriage and tire size as you stated. The GL has far better detail otherwise. It has the horse in the front grill, a realistic gas cap, an engine painted ford blue with a noticeable ram air cleaner rubber molding. The GL has white lettering on the tires and the Boss 429 and Mustang lettering on the trunk is more realistic.

I also love Ertls. Problems I noted on ERtls were the opposite of GL with the tires, they were way too skinny. Ertl also had a problem when it came to items that were chrome. I think they would have been better off using a silver paint because grills in particular look kind of weird with the plating chrome finish they used( its like too thick).

I think the MM/Tamiya JGTC are among the best diecast I have. I wish they were still being sold here.

The Shelby cars are great. My only gripe would be the colors especially with the second series. Bonus points for opening doors and low cost.

I think JL especially the Gold Series cars stand up well to the rest of the pack listed.

You can also add Biante which has the best undercarriage (exhaust pipes that actually look like they are hanging) and very good stock looking rims. Problem with them is they don't have opening hoods and cost a fortune.

I think GL detail is very good and when done right really stands out. Unfortunately I think detail quality finish in the latest set was not as good as in previous sets.[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
191 Posts
sheldon said:
I love the 100% HW's and Kalifornia Kustoms but the latest KK were twice as much as a GL for quality I would argue is at best equal.

Comparing my HW 70 Boss 429 to the GL 69 Boss 429 I give the nod to the HW for undercarriage and tire size as you stated. The GL has far better detail otherwise. It has the horse in the front grill, a realistic gas cap, an engine painted ford blue with a noticeable ram air cleaner rubber molding. The GL has white lettering on the tires and the Boss 429 and Mustang lettering on the trunk is more realistic.

I think GL detail is very good and when done right really stands out. Unfortunately I think detail quality finish in the latest set was not as good as in previous sets.
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
191 Posts
[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the response,

1) I agree that the GL's have excellent detail in the legends/silkscreens, but NOT in the castings, nor the wheels. Note that the wheels are way too oversized on ALL of their castings.

2) The Ertl's skinny wheels are very realistic, it's just that in 1/64, they appear to thin but put it up against a real car and you will see that indeed they are pretty close to scale. I was stunned that Ertl offered such great detail for the price, but I wish they had gone a bit further with opening doors... I was even more disappointed that they stoppe djust when there were some really cool models in the pipeline.

3) The JL Gold Series, though nicer than any previous JLs, still suffers from crude castings. The legend/silkscreen detail is nice, but the casting.. the casting... yikes!

I never understood why JL never did a really high quality casting for the true collector, albeit in reduced number, like HW did witht he Legends line and some of the KK/CC/100% line.

4) The very best diecast in terms of detail was indeed the 1/64 GMP Corvette, but unfortunately they only did a single casting.

5) MM did a pretty nice job with the Chevy Hot Rod cars, too bad they were discontinued.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
My local K hasnt recieved any but the next closest K had the S&C series ones on the pegs for a while.
Looks like some K's will get them and other will not. But they are out there.

The Other off topic that was brought up here, quality. These cars are beautiful.
We still have to remember GL is very new to 1/64 market. They will keep getting better just as JL did. But I think Gl First releases were awsome. I had to get them and there wasnt even any mopars in that set.

There are so many 1/64 cars on the market now, Quality has become personal Prefrence and opinion. I think they look great! Keep up the Good work GL!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.