Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you guys ever do any custom car/diorama contests or challenges here? Kinda want to get into something like that for fun.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
not that i have seen but i have not been here long, most of those contests are held in person for a reason, even if you take 100 pictures of one dio there is no way to see the true work without seeing it in person. so best way to get into that is go to local diecast/modeling shows. just customize cars and make dioramas for your own enjoyment and to show to others on here as its all fun anyways and the fun is building it not putting it in a contest always cool to win with something you have made but as i said best to go to shows for that.

·
Registered
8,588 Posts
we use to have quite a few here and also racing our customs.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Opie I get what you're saying. I'm unaware of any modeling shows in my area (I've never looked). What made me ask was that I hang around another board (Figure Realm) and they do custom contests/challenges there. I think it's cool the way they set up the challenges by setting a theme or specific set of rules and you get to see what people come up with, and gives everyone in that community a chance to participate in a fun challenge since the chances of them all going to a local show are are non-existant. I could care less about winning anything I just like to see creative people do their thing.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I could care less about winning anything I just like to see creative people do their thing.
That is why I am always checking this thread - there are a lot of amazing talented customizers on here. I remember seeing some contests, but the problem with contests is that everyone has a life outside of the hobby and sometimes that life gets in the way of things.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
We have done them in the past. For some reason this year went by without it happening. It was called the Kenny Kaos Kustom Contest if I remember correctly. It was tons of fun and it can be done on the internet.

If you search Kenny Kaos on this custom forum I beleive you can probably find the old posts.

Here is a link to the last one I entered. I think the last one that was done was the HW Torino.

http://www.hobbytalk.com/bbs1/showthread.php?t=291505&highlight=cutom+contest

·
Registered
6,817 Posts
That's very cool. Who cares about winning a contest? Just post what you got and it will be appreciated! I have learned a lot from post and and think anyone who takes the effort to post "alterations" to a mainline is worthwhile. :p
Opie I get what you're saying. I'm unaware of any modeling shows in my area (I've never looked). What made me ask was that I hang around another board (Figure Realm) and they do custom contests/challenges there. I think it's cool the way they set up the challenges by setting a theme or specific set of rules and you get to see what people come up with, and gives everyone in that community a chance to participate in a fun challenge since the chances of them all going to a local show are are non-existant. I could care less about winning anything I just like to see creative people do their thing.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes! 96gsfan That's what I'm talkin' about! I love to see stuff like this, so many different ideas stemmed off of one casting. Majorly cool:dude:. I would love to participate if it happens again.

·
Registered
8,588 Posts
all you need to do is contact dipstick by email.
tell him you want to run a contest. and explain what your ideas are for it.
let him contact you back giving you the ok.
then post it here.
when done set up a poll and give voters a week to vote for winner.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do you think that would be kosher? I am really new here and I wouldn't want to look like a jerk purposing an idea like that without establishing myself here as an active member.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
I not only do custom cars and pics, I do videos. I have a couple YouTube videos in which I drag race some of my custom muscle cars. I pair 'em off - GM, Ford, Mopar, AMC and even some trucks. It's a lot of work but it's also a lot of fun! Many HTers here have seen my videos and pics.
Granted, they may not be Warner Bros. quality but I think enjoyable.

·
Registered
8,588 Posts
Do you think that would be kosher? I am really new here and I wouldn't want to look like a jerk purposing an idea like that without establishing myself here as an active member.
personaly if you were having the guys mail you the cars for judgement and a promise of prizes....i would say no...

but being a contest and only pictures and no prizes - just bragging rights.and the board voting on winner.
i dont think dip would say no. but thats his call....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts