Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, for the third time.. I've gotten BACK into the hobby. Started out with an original XL-1 Stampede back in 2005-2006, kept that up until 2 years ago. Ended up with a VXL system and countless upgrades, but I got bored with it and sold it. I've also owned a Rustler XL-5, Revo 2.5R and an E-maxx (which I loved). This is the third time getting into the hobby, and this time around I'm trying my hand at racing, which I'm hoping will keep me attached. I picked this up (http://www.ebay.com/itm/180928837571?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649) the other day. I really didn't want to buy used, but this one was a platinum, which I wanted for the Big Bores, sway bars and other things; my hobby shop was out of stock in the platinums and didn't know when they could even order them, AND this one has other upgrades which are nice.

I've already purchased a matching TQi transmitter for it, and a JConcepts Raptor SVT body which I just finished painting... Now I'm waiting on the truck to get here.

Any necessary upgrades I should consider? It already has RPM front A-arms and bearing carriers, Big Bores, Sway Bar Kit, and a brand new VXL system along with Pro-line Bowtie SCs. My plan is just to replace things as they break, but should I get anything right out of the shoot? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Acutally the 4600 might be too much for the Slash 4x4, since it's alot lighter then the SCTE's.

Most that run the Slash 4x4 are running the following motors:
Castle 4pole 3800
Novak 4.5 or 5.5 (550 can)
Tekin 4.5 or 5.5 (550 can)

As for Spares, I would get the following:
Spur Gears & Bearings

Otherise have fun and along the way of driving see what breaks and needs to be on hand.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I would highly recommend an aluminum bulkhead upgrade. I just did a low-COG conversion using the ChuckworksRC Slice4X kit. The plastic bulkhead absorbs the heat from the motor and shaft bearing and makes it flex under power. I ruined a spur gear on 1st run. I upgraded to a King Headz aluminum bulkhead and problem solved. It also has a larger bearing than stock.
Build up articles and prelininary shootout on this one and the Shining Star Chassis (SSC) and RCE chassis conversions at

http://www.rcsoup.com/2012/07/traxxas-slash-4x4-lcg-chassis-shootout/

If you run where ambient temps are 75+ fan is recommended for ESC and motor if possible.

Most importantly, have fun :)

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Stock Slash 4X4 chassis tub/components are very tough. Typical Traxxas gear.

The low COG kits are also tough as well.
Run your truck and get used to it and have some fun with it. If you decide to go racing with it, a low COG kit will make the truck more competitive against the Losi SCTE, SC10 4X4, Ofna's, etc.

My fellow RC Soup-mates are headed to the track tomorrow (CRC Raceway-Rome, NY) to shake down their RCE a SSC conversions w/ upgraded shocks, A Arms and power systems. Wish I was going, but I'm skunked until next weekend.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts