Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Posted this over on the HWC message board too. Just my opinion, but I'm about fed up with not being able to find anything....I've got a feeling I'm not the only one that feels this way either:mad:

I'm probably gonna get bashed for this but I don't rightfully care. I'm man enough to say it and I'm man enough to take it.....

How in the heck do you find 30 or 40 supers in a year? You must know the stock schedule of every store you visit, probably on a daily basis twice a day.

I don't sell on ebay and I don't sell at the flea market..I am a collector thru & thru...I only collect what I like. I have some cars that I've had all of my 45 years.

That just makes it that much harder on the REAL collectors out there that are searching for a piece for their true collection...when you "find" 30 or 40 cars out of a run of 12-15 a year, you are just a hoarding scalper, plain and simple. Just my two cents !!

·
Registered
9,900 Posts
Or when you see someone getting about 30 chase cars in one sitting, in my opinion, it's pretty ridiculous. I think most of those people probably collect to just make money, but still, if they want to make collecting miserable for everyone else, whatever. Some can make the argument about " you can't just find anything by going once a week shopping" or " you have to be real hardcore about going at certain times" but I've tried this to no avail. Some also defend the fact that there's no scalpers and it's just the unlucky people finding nothing and their own excuses. As a matter of fact, the only chases I've found were those M2 chases from a certain store, in about all my collecting years. I've found about maybe 5 total from 10 years collecting, from all brands. it's not like I just don't go hunting, but I know that there are tons of those people with knowledge and the capability to just grab all the chases all the time.

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Just the reason I stopped putting importance on the chase cars. Don't get me wrong. I am VERY happy when I do find them, but get just as excited when new regulars show up. We do get a lot of stock here, unlike other areas, so it's not a case of poor stocking. To put it in perspective, the most coveted of all the Hot Wheels, the Super Chase, has a plastic base in most cases, which is so wrong on so many levels.There are so many Nostalgia and Garage/Boulevard cars that are so much nicer. The regular TH's hold hardly any trade or monetary value, with the only distinction being the green stripe.I learned early on that unless I wanted to stalk the stores and make myself a fixture there, the chase cars are too hard to get with other collectors, scalpers and stock people around. Collecting is a big part of my enjoyment, but not the only thing that is important in my life.I couldn't imagine not getting a diecast car every now and then and really enjoy walking in and readily finding and getting a beauty like the COPO Camaro . 67' GTX or 70' Blazer. When it's a chore or source of frustration, I will quit. Until then, bring on the mainlines that I like and if I find a TH here and there, so be it.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Guess I'm not the only one then. To the point that I'm almost fed up and don't even want to bother looking anymore (what for...not gonna find anything anyway). All the "look what I found" posts at that "other place" just adds further insult. "Oooh very nice...too bad I'll never see it". Even the reasonably desirable mainlines around here get grabbed up in quantity...never mind Treasure Hunts or Supers. Just too many people around here scavenging around too few venues (stores) for me to waste my time anymore.

·
Registered
14,324 Posts
When people see chase cars, they never just take one, they grab up every one they see. They often rationalize this with a first come first served mentality, or the claim that they give the others away to friends before "scalpers" get them. That may be valid reasoning but it's still hoarding, and the end result is the same - no more chase cars for anyone who isn't your friend. Some have no interest in them at all and use them primarily as trade bait, which could be viewed as scalping. Present someone with a box of treasure, and they will always formulate a reason why the whole thing should go to them. It's definitely a hot topic, and the culture of scarcity around chase cars makes some people crazy.

I can honestly say I've found chase cars before that I didn't buy. I buy ones I like and would buy anyway. You won't catch me flaunting half dozen examples of the same chase case car that I made off with in the night. I just find it kind of juvenile.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Posted this over on the HWC message board too. Just my opinion, but I'm about fed up with not being able to find anything....I've got a feeling I'm not the only one that feels this way either:mad:

I'm probably gonna get bashed for this but I don't rightfully care.
I can almost assure you that you'll get a bashing and/or be labeled a whiner on that "other site".
I've even been 'invited' to leave the hobby a few times over there because I voiced some unpopular opinions. That's why I hang here with the more mature crowd these days.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
I can almost assure you that you'll get a bashing and/or be labeled a whiner on that "other site".
I've even been 'invited' to leave the hobby a few times over there because I voiced some unpopular opinions. That's why I hang here with the more mature crowd these days.:thumbsup:
And I'll bet I could name the characters that would do it over there.

(and ditto for the maturity thing here ) :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,768 Posts
I've been collecting for over eight years now and I've never found more than maybe 15 or so Treasure Hunts in a year, counting $upers and regulars.
There are a few people around my area that door warm and have the ability to go to our 24 hour Wal-Mart at 11:00 at night to open cases (I can't because I have a job and can't door warm or I'm usually asleep by 10:30) or know a stocker that holds certain ones for them.
Right place right time has been how I managed to come across them.
I was on the way home from a doctor's appointment in the afternoon a few weeks ago when I found a $uper Treasure Hunt that I would never have found had I gone into town on the weekend like I usually do.
I've left Hunts on the pegs if it is one I already have.
And a side note for Sutton525: I've been a member of the RLC for 5 years now and I've posted exactly 0 posts for the reason you mentioned.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've been a member of the RLC for 5 years now and I've posted exactly 0 posts for the reason you mentioned.
I've been a member of that site since 2003...I have 9 posts in a little over 9 years, and 2 of those have been today....:hat:

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
everyone applauds mattel making "secret" supper hunts.

the good and the bad. yes you can luck into them now as some are overlooked. i found one in a store where the hot wheels cars had been completely looked threw. they were in the floor and all sideways on the pegs. but, second cad sticking out was a secret super bee..

but, mattel by making them hidden. has made them a valuble commodity. so, it's profitable to go hunt them, and resell them again. in large quantities.

as long as people will pay these prices, people are going to buy and scalp.

used to make me mad. now, it's just part of collecting. you can't change it. no need to get upset about it.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
It isn't always the scalper's fault that YOU can't find anything. There are other collectors that just buy what they like and then there are these people called "PARENTS" with these little things called "CHILDREN" that they like to buy "TOYS" for. I know it might be hard for a "TRUE COLLECTOR" to see, but sometimes the kids do pick out some of the best vehicles to *gasp* PLAY with - These are toys after all! I have even had a parent pay $5 for a single car for their kid to open up and play with because the kid liked that car.

I am a reseller. I don't have time like some to visit wally world every night, but I also don't pass it up if I see it in the stores. I haven't found one treasure hunt in the wild this year, I actually buy most of the hunts I sell from other dealers.

Am I some big bad evil thing that should be banished to hell?? Go ahead and think what you want. I have customers that are HAPPY to pay a little extra and not have to hunt for the items they want.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
It isn't always the scalper's fault that YOU can't find anything. There are other collectors that just buy what they like and then there are these people called "PARENTS" with these little things called "CHILDREN" that they like to buy "TOYS" for.
Coulda fooled me...I rarely see that here. Kids aren't interested in cars and the adults buying them certainly don't look like the parent type. Almost always an adult male type I see digging through the cars. Even the Kmart days are almost always adults hoarding stuff.

Not saying it's not different elsewhere, but that's been my observations locally.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It isn't always the scalper's fault that YOU can't find anything. There are other collectors that just buy what they like and then there are these people called "PARENTS" with these little things called "CHILDREN" that they like to buy "TOYS" for. I know it might be hard for a "TRUE COLLECTOR" to see, but sometimes the kids do pick out some of the best vehicles to *gasp* PLAY with - These are toys after all! I have even had a parent pay $5 for a single car for their kid to open up and play with because the kid liked that car.

I am a reseller. I don't have time like some to visit wally world every night, but I also don't pass it up if I see it in the stores. I haven't found one treasure hunt in the wild this year, I actually buy most of the hunts I sell from other dealers.

Am I some big bad evil thing that should be banished to hell?? Go ahead and think what you want. I have customers that are HAPPY to pay a little extra and not have to hunt for the items they want.
I would not blame it on children or other collectors...anybody that's openly admitting that they find 40+ chases a year 1) is not a collector 2) is a greedy loathsome disgrace to this hobby...

Just because you're first to the buffet don't mean you gotta eat the whole &*$% thing !!

·
Registered
6,164 Posts
if you are pissed just because you can not find THs ,super duper secret agent man hunts than you really need to think about why you are collecting.there is so many great cars out there but to be upset because you can not find the same mainline cars that mattel puts alittle brighter paint and rubber wheels than you kinda need to stop collecting.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
I am guilty of taking every chase car I find because I dont find many. BUT, I myself, just like everyone of you posting about scalpers, hoarders, etc. would pick up EVERY chase car if you found more than one at a time. You may not sell them on the auction sight or at the flea market but you would pick them up and you would justify it by saying I will be sharing with friends or trading for something else you want for your collection but you would not leave them behind. Sure there are going to be some that say that they have, but if they were left it was because they already had multiples of something they could not easily get rid of.

Fact of the matter is, it is the nature of the beast. If you havent picked up multiples its because you have not found multiples.

Just my 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
First of all, I have never had the opportunity to find more than 2 of any chase version of any car at any one time....and that was at Kmart days....

I have only found 3 chase pieces in probably the last year and a half. Why is it wrong for me to get fed up with not being able to find 2 or 3 cars that I'd like to collect.......but it's not wrong for somebody to have 10 or 12 each of Kitts, THs, Supers, FatBoys, and numerous other cars??? Why??

Point is that the collectors that really want to collect can't find what they are after without supporting the vulchers that are out there ruining this hobby.....Now, if you think THAT is wrong, then maybe you are the one that needs to stop "collecting"......

·
Registered
4,758 Posts

I'm probably gonna get bashed for this but I don't rightfully care. I'm man enough to say it and I'm man enough to take it.....

How in the heck do you find 30 or 40 supers in a year? You must know the stock schedule of every store you visit, probably on a daily basis twice a day.

I don't sell on ebay and I don't sell at the flea market..I am a collector thru & thru...I only collect what I like. I have some cars that I've had all of my 45 years.

That just makes it that much harder on the REAL collectors out there that are searching for a piece for their true collection...when you "find" 30 or 40 cars out of a run of 12-15 a year, you are just a hoarding scalper, plain and simple. Just my two cents !!

THANK YOU...... I collected all emergency die-cast a few years ago and got out of it. I started collecting again last year and I don't sell any of my collection. I like you collect what I like and enjoy doing things like giving cars to kids in the complex, and sending cars to others. You know I know a guy who once told me if you love something like fighting fires, collecting stuff, etc. do it as long as you enjoy what you do.....but when you don't enjoy it anymore it is time to stop. I enjoyed fighting fires, actually I loved it and I did it as a Volunteer. It is the same way with my collection as long as it is fun I will continue to do it. But when I start thinking what can I sell this for it will be time to stop.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I am guilty of taking every chase car I find because I dont find many. BUT, I myself, just like everyone of you posting about scalpers, hoarders, etc. would pick up EVERY chase car if you found more than one at a time.

Fact of the matter is, it is the nature of the beast. If you havent picked up multiples its because you have not found multiples.
I beg to differ, sir!

I have left many chase cars behind:

-If you can call "regular" THs chases; I've left dozens if not hundreds
-Didn't care for the silly LG "signature" chases; left 'em ALL
-Wasn't impressed with the Cars chases (even sillier than the LG chases); didn't buy the first one
-Being a cardboard collector I've left a number of "supers" as well when they were on ratty cards
-Shall I continue ???:tongue:

·
Premium Member
13,377 Posts
Here's a true story.

A few years ago I was at my local WAL*MART, and the pegs were pretty full, along with a BOD. I saw a collector that I know in the diecast aisle and we talked about what we found in the past couple of weeks. I didn't find any THs. Well, several minutes later two of the local diecast mafia appeared in the diecast aisle. My collector friend had two THs that he pulled from his coat pocket. He handed me one, and I asked him where he got it (from the pegs or BOD). He whispered he brought them into the store and found them at TRU (about a mile away).

Well, you should have seen the look on the faces of two diecast mafia jerks. It was very funny. After they left the diecast aisle I gave the TH back to my friend. He said he would pay for them again, even if he didn't find them at WAL*MART.

We talk about this from time to time when we see each other at a toy show.

·
Banned
4,640 Posts
The nature of the beast is someone will always get what you want..don't worry about what the other guys are getting, you'll be much better off..and yes, i buy every chase i find, i have had some amazing trades using them as bait.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts