Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! My father, known as Owl on here, passed away two years ago and I inherited his collection of Johnny Lightnings.

He had a ton! I remember waking up early with him as a kid to drive to all the toy stores to check for white Lightnings and such.

I’m not sure what I’m going to do with them all yet, but the first step is cataloging what there is. I’m hoping that I might be able to find some help identifying anything that I’m unsure of.

I also have some of his handmade display cases. At some point I may want to sell some of his cars and cases. Where would be the best place to list them? eBay?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I’ve gone through one box and there were 136 cars in it, and I have 10 boxes to go through! ?

There’s also Muscle Machines. I’m so lost.

·
Administrator
26,984 Posts
I remember when you let us know he had passed. Hope things have settled down for you and going thru his collection only has postive memories for you.

After your fifth post you can link photos of what you have questions about or upload them by using the go advance > manage attachments buttons below.

To determine curent prices your best information source is the ebay sold listings.

No matter how you ask - the answers are usually the same - so we have set up a collection of threads on the subject you can review and formulate a plan from. Here is the link

https://www.hobbytalk.com/bbs1/17-diecast-car-collecting/585977-so-i-want-sell-my-inherited-collection-thread-thread-collection.html

We also have a place where you can list items and auction links as well

https://www.hobbytalk.com/bbs1/340-diecast-car-auctions-buy-sell-swap-trade-listings/

Good luck with the process and let us know about those questions. :cheers2:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! I’d love to keep them all, but with 9 kids, we really don’t have enough room for over 1,000 cars. I will be keeping some, but most I will be selling.

Thanks for the info, guys!

·
Administrator
26,984 Posts
Let us know if you have other questions. Your Dad had some awesome pieces he showed us over the years. :cheers2:

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
LittleOwl, thanks for joining here and posting. I remember your father and enjoyed interacting with him here. He was a valuable member of this community.

If you are going to sell them (and I hope you decide to keep some for yourself) your two best options are a local diecast show (the bigger the better in terms of finding potential buyers) or on eBay. Selling a collection is a lot of work.

Also don't forget that even cars that you thing are not very collectable would make great gifts to children who don't have much.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts