Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some may know this and some may not, but I thought I'd pass this lil note on.
Just how do you care for your 1/24 and larger diecast?
I started collecting with Nascar back in the 80's and tried aot of things, ie: Pledge, Windex, ect Most things work well, but I found a lil "Endust" sprayed on a rag(perferby soft like an old T shirt ect) works great for dusting,then if your like myself and like your cars displayed with a showroom shine One of the best for diecast I found is "Kit" car wax. When Racing Champions came out, their paint wasn't as good as it is today,but the Kit wax really shined them up nice. Now I'm cutting down my Nascar collection and collecting my 3 favorite cars of all time, Ford' Thunderbolt,and Mustang, and The Lamborgini.
Let me tell you with a cat that sheds,its not always easy keeping my cars clean and dust free. (hell when you don't have the space for a glass cabnet)
But between the Endust and Kit wax, my cars still have that showroom shine as the day they were first bought.
Hope this helps .
God Speed
The GreyOne

·
Registered
45 Posts
I keep all of my 1:18 diecast collection in various Wood and glass display cases or individual lucite display cases. For those in the big cases, I periodically have to care for them as you have indicated to keep them clean and shiny.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
I keep mine behind plexiglass, so the cleaning is kept to a minimum. Ones that come out for closer examination from time to time get an occasional buffing.

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
I try to stay away from anything larger than 1/43 because they simply take up too much space. The few larger car I do have are in display boxes/cases.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
i actually use Zaino show car polish. it is expensive but i have plenty left over from when i had my trans am. before i applied the zaino, i used Mothers 3M scratch and swirl remover. it is a mild rubbing compound that can be found at any walmart in a little black bottle. about 1/2 of my 1:18 diecast didn't shine too good from the factory. the mothers compound made the paint look like glass. also, it did not remove or scuff any of the tampos either,even the very small and or thin ones. after a coat or two of Zaino, the paint has a mirror shine. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can't say I've heard of the Zaino, but I may have to try that Mothers on my scoot, damn trouble with a black bike shows ever lil mark. ;(
Thanks for the scoop.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
GreyWolf61 said:
Can't say I've heard of the Zaino, but I may have to try that Mothers on my scoot, damn trouble with a black bike shows ever lil mark. ;(
Thanks for the scoop.
http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc
zaino is basically the worlds greatest show car polish. it is very popular on the car forums. there are only a few other products that shine as good but do not last nowhere as long as zaino.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Pewter02WS6 said:
http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc
zaino is basically the worlds greatest show car polish. it is very popular on the car forums. there are only a few other products that shine as good but do not last nowhere as long as zaino.
Very true... I only use Zaino products on my Black Mustang (I mean... the 1:1), and the car shines like crazy. With a mirror like finish.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
I use plain Meguiars Gold Class on all my 1:18 scale cars that are out of their boxes. Since I'm at school, I cover them all with a towel to keep the dust off(as well as wood dust..)

·
Registered
10,947 Posts
GreyWolf61 said:
Let me tell you with a cat that sheds,its not always easy keeping my cars clean and dust free. (hell when you don't have the space for a glass cabnet)

That's OK, I don't think the cat would like staying in the glass cabinet!

Thanks for starting this thread Grey, I have picked up some very useful info for both my scale and 1:1 cars! And if I have not offered my welcome, then welcome to the boards! Glad your here. :wave:

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Why Thank you 'stang"! Thats really nice of you to say,and your most welcome to. I have picked up some good idea's and notes myself. I haven't found that "Mothers" product yet, but gf picked up some "Mequires" in a black tube and low and behold it took "ALOT" of the fine scratches from My Bike. Now maybe one day when I can afford it it will just get repained. ;)
Glad I can help.
God Speed!!
GreyWolf
aka Nick

1 - 12 of 12 Posts