Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I am in Maui, Hawaii, and I have been doing a lot of researching on slot car sets. My wife says I am going through mid-life crisis, the only crisis I have is deciding on what set to start with. I am leaning towards a Carrera set that I can make into a 4 lane one. I have been reading a lot of threads here and you are are all giving me lots of ideas. I used to have aurora HO sets when I was a kid. My dad was way into model railroading and he made us a switchable 12/16 volt power supply, which of course was always on 16!! Anyways, I look forward to hearing from anyone with some ideas or comments.
Aloha, Mauiguy

·
Registered
327 Posts
Well ... I'll give you my 2-cents . . .

You might wish to download Carrera's Track Planner from http://us.carrera-toys.com/115.0.html.

Used this before buying my setup. That way, got pretty much what I wanted from the beginning.

Went with 4/15 high banks with 3/30 for 4 lanes along with straights, whatever.

Like Carrera because of wide 82-high banks [4/15], and width of track.

You might want to think about power supplies and controllers after you’ve messed with the set for a bit. Weak link in sets is power supplies, to a lesser degree controllers. You probably already know this.

You probably already know this too, in PMDC motors amps are “drawn,” whilst volts are the “push.” So should you decide on a better power supply, decide if you’re ever going to run cars with motors that need more amps. That will dicate the amperage amount you'll need to pony up for.

Expense in power supplies is in the amps, not the volts.

Then there are the controllers, especially if one decides to run cars with nastier motors . . .

Hope this helps a little . . .

Cheers,
Jas

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, thanks for the ideas and comments. I have been doing nothing but reading just about everything i can find on the net about slot cars, even googling the video section and seeing lots of great layouts. So many decisions to make!!!!

·
Registered
327 Posts
Track Planner!

Track Planner!

I'm serious, download it, visualize kind of layout you want and build it with the track planner.

Will really help you conceptualize actual layout you want.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts