Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a Conny going for a dip.

I had this old 18inch AMT 1701 - and based on a dream I once had about a conny crashing in the sea, I came up with this diorama.

Its the first time I've tried modeling waves and rough seas - I've done a ton of flat calm seas - its not perfect and not quite what I had in mind!

I figured, that after a fall through the atmosphere, the saucer would snap off due to air and water resistance pulling away at the primary and secondary hulls in opposite directions.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
It may not be exactly what you had in mind......But I'd say they came out pretty darn good.

Realistic oceans and waves have been a bit of a passion and a quest of mine and I'd say at least photographicly they look great.

Please share the 'how'd ya do that'.

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
Whoa! That's gonna leave a mark! :eek:

Great job, so far. Is there going to be any sort of explosion along the "neck" area?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Just a thought..I bet everyone on board went the other direction, like on the show, when she hit. Of course only red shirts will be hurt or even kill'd.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think they'd be res splats after that!

Thanks for the compliments guys, I did model in a ripped neck section rather than explosion but I pulled it off when I re-positioned the saucer and couldn't be bothered to glue it all back on - this was just for really and I didn't want to commit too much time to it.

The sea was simply made from plastic sheet, sticky tape and woodland scenic water effects.

i wanted a slight transparencey and depth, so I glued 2 bottle lids to the base, then roughly layed strips of plastic sheet over them - glueing them in place. I then got some clear sticky tape and bunched it back on itself to make sticky balls/bunches and stuck them to the plastic sheet wherever I wanted waves. Then I took strips of sticky tape and stuck it down in strips over the mounds - perhaps pinching the top of the mound to make a crest of a wave. I then plastered on the water effects stuff to add to wave crests and to give it surface detail. Foam was made with PU glue - it foams up as it dries.

I've had some good results with that method - I'll do it step by step with pictures if anyones interested?

Mike

·
Starship Class
11,944 Posts
That one model kit has probably suffered more abuse, intentional and unintentional, than any other kit ever manufactured!

:jest:

Seriously, cool dio! Can't wait to see it painted up and decaled. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
PerfesserCoffee said:
That one model kit has probably suffered more abuse, intentional and unintentional, than any other kit ever manufactured!
So you have never seen the original version of The Doomsday Machine? :jest:

The episode is still my favorite one of all time! :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts