Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed that if someone mentions a HW or posts a pic of one on this board,you guys don't get nasty or start name calling.
On the HW boards,the members get vicious and downright nasty if you even mention anything about JL at all.
I read a post there that said something to the extent that JL only has about 30 castings and only half were any good.
I just wondered about the mentality of some collectors and the direct correlation to the brand they collect.
I am a diecast collector,I buy all brands if I like it.
JL is great for detail and accuracy of real cars.
HW lacks seriously in the realism department but still make some nice pieces that take me back to when I was a kid.
I just think it's a shame that so many HW collectors hate JL and even they don't know why.
Like I said,you guys have a certain class lacking on other sites.
Thanks for the read.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,947 Posts
Speaking for the board (can I do that?), thank you for the complement. I too have found this to be an outstanding group of collectors. I like your term of "class". That seems to describe this place pretty darn well.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,816 Posts
Thanks for the post! I like what I like. Thats fine. If you like what you like... thats fine too. Its all about making yourself happy with what your doing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,917 Posts
How dare you mention HW here!!!!







Today I went on a mini hunt, bought 2 jada, 2 one badd ride, a HW, and a malibu. No JL.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,072 Posts
The feud between JL and HW has been ongoing for nigh on to 38 years. Back in the late 60's early 70's, JL's made by Topper were considered inferior because they didn't look like "real" cars and the wheels looked kind of cheap compared to HW. Well, the tables have definitely turned and there may be a few ( :cool: ) HW snobs that just won't admit defeat. To each their own... :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,536 Posts
I collect everything across the board if it's something that I like. I really don't think you can compare one brand to another. Each brand has it's own appeal and look. To me, that's what makes this hobby fun. There's really no point in bashing another brand of diecast. It's really quite simple.....Buy what you like & have fun :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,345 Posts
McRooster said:
I just think it's a shame that so many HW collectors hate JL and even they don't know why.
Sums it up for many HWs only guys. I could understand somewhat when most HWs were a buck or less and most other off brands were $2 and up that the price deterred many from broadening their horizons a bit. But now, HWs has so many lines that there isn't enough separation to go by cost alone.

Still I think the most vocal anti-JL guys are the HWs Mainline die hards, still stuck in the past thinking that the only cars that are good and worth collecting are the ones that cost a buck.

Some will realize it someday, some just never will.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,765 Posts
I don't think it's really a Hotwheels thing. Some people are just angry, miserable jerks that can't tolerate anything they aren't personally interested in. Go to a train show and listen to some old "O" scale guys rip into anything that is "O-27", they get downight nasty. Or some Jeep guys talking about a tricked out Civic. It's sad how upset guys can get over something so relatively unimportant. Makes you wonder how they'd react to something that really mattered.
 

·
2011 VW NB Final Edition
Joined
·
2,031 Posts
McRooster said:
I see you know all to well what I'm talking about. :thumbsup:
We remember the golden rule....They are just toys.....

(or was that " whoever has the gold, makes the rules"?):)

It's all good.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
972 Posts
While I much prefer the realism and the lack of goofy cartoon and character type cars that JL has, I do have a few HW's in my collection. The 64 Impala, 65 Bonneville, 69 Firebird,69 Charger, 68 Nova, and 70 Chevelle to name a few, are decent castings and I have bought many. I also collect jada, GL and Fresh Cherries as well as some Maisto cars. It just depends on the casting itself. If it is a fairly accurate representation of a real car, I am likely to buy it no matter who produces it. If it is a tampo'd to death representation of a real car, then it gets taken apart to be redone as stock.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
91 Posts
CTWLSMIKE said:
Sums it up for many HWs only guys. I could understand somewhat when most HWs were a buck or less and most other off brands were $2 and up that the price deterred many from broadening their horizons a bit. But now, HWs has so many lines that there isn't enough separation to go by cost alone.

Still I think the most vocal anti-JL guys are the HWs Mainline die hards, still stuck in the past thinking that the only cars that are good and worth collecting are the ones that cost a buck.

Some will realize it someday, some just never will.
Hot Wheels has quite a few very nice cars, and still under a buck. I have been collecting them since the late 60's up and until now. It is a matter of simply liking the product (and price).

And right now "eBay" is chok rife with Johnny Lightning collectors (many who frequent this board as a matter of fact) looking to make a buck and who also believe their cars are the best and worth every penny (and price increase after price increase) - and won't flinch paying bigger bucks to fill their JL collections and lastly who wouldn't think twice about getting as much as they can for what they paid.

Perhaps they are the folks who are "stuck".

Odd even still why some brand loyal folks believe theirs is this more noble "true collectorism" crap and will always point to the other guy on another board (whose brands they hate) as the greedy rat.

I get a kick out of this mindset every time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
283 Posts
Most HW guys are decent, but you get some that are downright zipperheads. If you saw the idiots sprinting to the HW section this week like I did, you'd understand.

JL is a more refined and mature collecting hobby IMO. But, I know alot of good HW guys that like and have some JL's in their collections.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Zom said:
I wonder how many of those dies hard Hot Wheels collectors check the pegs for the WHITES?

:thumbsup:
Not too many.
Like they say they'd rather look for a "RARE TH" than a car w/stupid white wheels.

That's the kind of mentality SOME of the die hard HW ONLY collectors have.

You would think that the proof would be in the numbers but I guess 25,000-50,000 T-HUNTS is considered "RARE".
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,816 Posts
McRooster said:
Not too many.
Like they say they'd rather look for a "RARE TH" than a car w/stupid white wheels.

That's the kind of mentality SOME of the die hard HW ONLY collectors have.

You would think that the proof would be in the numbers but I guess 25,000-50,000 T-HUNTS is considered "RARE".
I bet one wouldnt put down a green machine though being an off brand.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
King Kuda said:
Most HW guys are decent, but you get some that are downright zipperheads. If you saw the idiots sprinting to the HW section this week like I did, you'd understand.

JL is a more refined and mature collecting hobby IMO. But, I know alot of good HW guys that like and have some JL's in their collections.
I would have to agree with the above statement. I am a recent convert but still collect some Hotwheels. Been doing it since the 60's so it's a hard habit to break. Most of the Lightning collectors I have met seem to know quite a bit about real cars and love opening and displaying and even MODIFYING their cars. Mattel can still make a nice hotrod or muscle car if they want to. If only they didn't put those goofy wheels on everything.
 
1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Top