Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week I purchased an AMT Excelsior kit off eBay. I know these kits are becoming increasingly hard to find because R2 has not been able to find the molds to re-release this ship.

when I opened the box, I realized that I had forgotten how much work I'll need to put into this kit to make it accurate. The raised lines all need to be sanded down. I also know that the bottom of the saucer is inaccurate. Also, the pieces that make up the neck drive me nuts! Because the neck has ribs, there's no way to make it not look like there's a giant seam running down the middle of it.

I know there were accurizing kits that were made available some time ago, but from what I can tell they are no longer being made. Still, I'd sure love to pick up a one-piece neck and a corrected saucer if they are still out there. Does anyone have any insight as to how well these build up? I'm not looking to light the kit, simply build it to sit next to my 1:1000 Refit when she's finished.

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
I built this kit straight from the box originally and did a "refit" to make it more accurate some years ago.
Getting the neck right was a bear as I recall. For the saucer rim I filled in the "steps" with putty and sanded smooth. I didn't bother with accurizing the underside of the saucer. Both forward and rear photorp launchers were replaced with resin parts from Don's Light and Magic. I added a flattened rim to the secondary hull with styrene strip just underneath where the deck attaches and where the blue stripe runs. The underslung cutout was rather plain so I added the shuttle/cargo bay housing to the inside using styrene tubing and sheet I also bought aftermarket decals for the hull paneling and windows.

Here's a link to my abum with pics if you're interested:

http://s146.photobucket.com/albums/r259/Trekriffic/Excelsior/

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Last week I purchased an AMT Excelsior kit off eBay. I know these kits are becoming increasingly hard to find because R2 has not been able to find the molds to re-release this ship.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

My understanding is the molds are lost, rather they have been modified to produce the Enterprise B. So, therefore, the "Excelsior" molds no longer exsist.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

hal9001-

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I've heard both stories, that the molds were either changed completely or lost. Which begs the question: would it be cost prohibitive for Round 2 to have new molds made for the engineering hull of the Excelsior? I can't imagine that having a single mold made is THAT expensive, but then again I'm not a hobby insider. :)

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Jamie said in R2s blog just last week they are working on some new ST kits to be released later this year, so who knows we may get a more accurate Exceslior model???
Starseeker a few years ago had some drawings of the Excelsior that has very accurate panel lines when you compare them to pics of the filming model, and that includes window placments for the secondary hull.
When I printed them out I had to reduce the size by 60% for them to be the same scale as the AMT kit. And don't worry Starseeker I'm just using the drawings for panel line and window placement on the 3 kits I've got.

·
Registered
571 Posts
You could always pick up the R2 Ent-B for parts; it has a corrected lower saucer, upper secondary hull (the flat piece) and neck.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I remembered that Round 2 had corrected the bottom saucer piece, but my understanding was that the neck was the exact same 3-piece version as the old AMT. I'd prefer a single piece neck. Also, I've seen that Round 2 re-engineered the bottom single piece of the secondary hull into two halves, so now there's a big seam that goes down the center of the whole ship.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
The 3 piece of the secondary hull was made that way by RC2 and not Round 2. And the only piece of the neck R2 redid was the back piece, it is now curved like it should have been done the first time around.

·
Registered
571 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
I know there were accurizing kits that were made available some time ago, but from what I can tell they are no longer being made. Still, I'd sure love to pick up a one-piece neck and a corrected saucer if they are still out there.
Yes, the StarShip Modeler kit/saucer kit is currently out of stock, but that doesn't mean it's out of production. Usually, when something is gone for good, they remove it from thier site.
http://starshipmodeler.biz/shop/index.cfm/product/1525_38/excelsiorenterprise-b-replacement-necksaucerbridge.cfm

Also, Federation Models is still selling PNT's Excelsior NX Conversion kit. It includes the neck and a complete saucer, as well as a few other parts. I saw this kit at Wonderfest last year, and it's very nice.
http://www.federationmodels.com/model_kits/pntm/default.htm#NX 2000 Excelsior Conversion

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
I built this kit straight from the box originally and did a "refit" to make it more accurate some years ago.
Getting the neck right was a bear as I recall. For the saucer rim I filled in the "steps" with putty and sanded smooth. I didn't bother with accurizing the underside of the saucer. Both forward and rear photorp launchers were replaced with resin parts from Don's Light and Magic. I added a flattened rim to the secondary hull with styrene strip just underneath where the deck attaches and where the blue stripe runs. The underslung cutout was rather plain so I added the shuttle/cargo bay housing to the inside using styrene tubing and sheet I also bought aftermarket decals for the hull paneling and windows.

Here's a link to my abum with pics if you're interested:

http://s146.photobucket.com/albums/r259/Trekriffic/Excelsior/
That is a beautiful build. I really love this ship. Right from the very first scene I saw it in. Right up until the transwarp farted out.

But I still love the design.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts