Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Originally Posted by Dave Metzner

Has anybody out there REALLY looked at how the landing gear of Jupiter 2 was supposed to actually work??? and then tried to decide how to reduce it to styrene parts?...

(I see at least FOUR hinges along with a telescoping cylinder with a sliding anchor in the top of the gear well and lat but not least a sliding gear door to cover the landing gear foot)

Each landing gear leg as it is is now consists 7 parts.. and those seven parts produce a reasonably robust landing gear leg. AND the landing gear when installed in the model do support the weight of the completed model quite nicely!
In order to make it work anything like the prototype would work and IF you can find the space for the opperating components under the floor of the interior that design will require at a MINIMUM 15 to 18 parts and once you got those parts together you'd have a very fragile and unstable and likely out of scale gear leg that is not likely to support the weight of the finished model
OH Yeah I almost forgot -by the way if you screw up and get a little glue where it's not supposed to be the whole damned thing wont work anyway!
That new design with all thos new part we're going to add effectively more than doubles the tooling cost for those components and it still doesn't address the issue of the sliding door to cover the foot of the retracted gear leg - so add a couple more parts to your tooling costs for that feature..
Now the selling price of the finished kit goes up and the buildability of the finished product goes down..Not my idea of success!

I know that some out there think that they hav better iideas. I have actually done this for a while, and I do think about some of this stuff before I decide not to do it!

I do hope that you all are getting something good out of this because I am not.
I don't intend to go thru this again anytime soon so I hope you'll understand if this kind of information is not fortcomming on our next big project.
============================================

WHY did I start this thread? The landing gear seems to be a sticking point for some. Also, since I built a working gear system for my 2 foot Lunar Models J2, and have designed a system for my 4 foot hull, I thought I might share my experience.

The gear must do the following:
1. raise and lower itself with all legs and those footpad doors all working simultaneously.
2.footpads may pivot, but NOT swivel.
3. support the model without slipping or gear slowly collapsing.
4. footpad doors must drop into place and match the hull contour.

My solution for the 4 foot model is to power the legs and footpad doors with a jackshaft system and steel cables to pull the gear down and the pad doors out of the way. When no power is applied, the gear won't move. The whole system doesn't take lots of space and is fairly light weight.

The 18" model will be built with a small jackshaft system very much like the 4 footers'.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
That's neat but it doesn't operate as the prototype of the full sized ship would operate -It DOES NOT fit int the landing gear wells of the model
In order for it to work as you have illustrated it there can be no interior as provided in the moebius model kit.
So you seem to miss my point entirely which is that operating landing gear are not practical as a feature of the model kit that Moebius will be producing.
Now if you don't mind , I'll be closing this thread.

Dave

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.