Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently building a Sketchup model of the spacecraft that appeared in Beneath the Planet of the Apes. As many of you will know, the spaceship from the first Apes movie was re-used in this sequel, with the addition of a wrecked rear section, which included the landing gear from the full-size mock up of Lost in Space's Jupiter 2. Although the fairly low-res full-size J2 blueprints I've found online have been a great help, I've noticed that the angle of the step section of the landing gear appears a little steeper in the drawings than it does in the Lost in Space stills and screenshots I've been looking at. Does anyone know anything more about the exact dimensions and the proportions of the full-size landing gear as it was actually built?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks, Buc. Those are all really great images. I love Sci-Fi Airshow, and the Skyhook model will almost certainly be making a dent in my wallet before too long. The model I'm working on is intended to show the ship before it crashed, which will ultimately involve adding to what was actually seen in Beneath. To begin with, though, I want to replicate the parts which were re-used from the Jupiter 2 as accurately as I can. The studio blueprints are a great starting point, but there seem to have been some adjustments made when the prop was constructed. In the attached image, I've overlaid the landing gear profile from the Moebius J2 kit (in red) over the studio blueprints (which I've outlined in blue). In a previous Hobbyist discussion, it was noted that the Moebius landing gear was based on the full-size mock-up rather than the hero miniature, and reference to stills shows that this detail in the kit conforms very closely to what was built for the soundstage. However, it's quite clear in the attached image that the studio plans themselves portray the landing gear at a different angle and with very different proportions. By aligning the base and the sixth step in the kit and studio drawings, I've tried to match the scales, but I was wondering if anyone has any more information about the full-size gear which would take out some of the guesswork. Perhaps there are later, more detailed studio blueprints of the landing gear on its own, for instance.

Landing Gear Profile Comparison.jpg

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello Red ape,
I have no idea about the landing gear so from the angle I am no help but I have built a large version of the Icarus ship here are a few pics they may help if not no worrys,
regards Barrie ( the old guy )
Really great work, Barrie, and it's huge - about 39" in length, if I'm reading the tape measure correctly. I like the detail you've put at the rear. You might be interested to see a card and paper model I made a few years back; you can gauge the scale from the centimetre divisions on the cutting mat.

Paper Icarus  (1).jpg Paper Icarus  (2).jpg Paper Icarus  (3).jpg

·
Registered
44 Posts
That looks a brilliant job, it looks so much smoother than my own model and .yes mine was huge which is what my customer wanted, then he wanted the same thing again but built even stronger than my first build, it took about 14 sheets of plastic card to build it, as he wanted to try and make a mould from it. I will have to admit I need to watch the old planet films again, I have the latest ones but not the first three.
I will have to get onto amazon.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That looks a brilliant job, it looks so much smoother than my own model and .yes mine was huge which is what my customer wanted, then he wanted the same thing again but built even stronger than my first build, it took about 14 sheets of plastic card to build it, as he wanted to try and make a mould from it. I will have to admit I need to watch the old planet films again, I have the latest ones but not the first three.
I will have to get onto amazon.
The ship really lends itself to sheet construction, since the full-size prop was designed to be fashioned from sheet metal. It would be great to see your model when it's finished and painted. Did you intend to add engines of any kind at the rear, or did you choose to follow the argument that there isn't room to accommodate their internal workings once the interior set is taken into consideration? On my model, I cut the hull from a Cornetto ice cream wrapper because the paper has a foil layer which will take acrylic paint without buckling. This sheet was then wrapped around internal card formers to preserve the correct cross section throughout.
Patrick

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Here’s the first part of the landing gear from Brent’s ship as rendered in Sketchup. I derived the proportions and dimensions by combining measurements taken from the Jupiter 2 studio blueprints, the Moebius kit, stills of the full-size J2 landing gear, and stills from Beneath.
In the second Apes film, some of the leg side panels lack the trapezoid apertures which were prominent in Lost in Space. Perhaps the original panels were damaged or missing by the time Beneath was filmed, and were replaced with simpler, less labour-intensive versions, or perhaps the LIS panels were covered up where they would be most conspicuous, in an effort to disguise the re-use of a familiar prop. In any case, the near leg and the near panel of the top leg of Brent’s ship have the new, plain panels, whereas the far panel of the top leg, and both panels of the far leg are originals with holes. To account for this, I’ve assumed that, in an undamaged state, the side panels have a double wall, the first layer with the holes, and the second without. You can make this out in the perspective rendering of the Sketchup leg. In both LIS and Beneath, the panels were very thin sheet metal attached to a frame; so, the doubling up doesn't noticeably affect the proportions.

Leg 9 Shadows & Edges.jpg Leg 9 Plan.jpg Leg 9 Profile.jpg Beneath Panels.jpg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts