Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks
I plan to light my Moebius Jupiter 2, but think the company's lighting kit is too expensive. I've got loads of LEDs and fiber optics, so I think I can do the main deck by myself. But I'd still need a good system for the fusion core and the upper bubble.
What's the best product out there?

Jeff

·
Banned
1,657 Posts
Check out the Fedoratron "II Sequenziatore Di Stefano". A light sequencer w/ adj. speed and brightness. It is an easy to assemble and affoardable sequencer kit that is perfect for the Jupiter 2 power core, I used it in my Gemini XII. They also sell a circular circuit board to mount the LEDs to, but it is not necessary since the LEDs can be mounted directly into the power core and direct wired to the board like in attiahed picture, it's not pretty, but it works.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=fedoratron&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CCUQFjAA&url=http://www.fedoratron.com/&ei=jxtCUOPoDIro8QTLt4GIDw&usg=AFQjCNEwmf_71s7RzWT-WdnluZIFSnBQdg

·
Premium Member
2,613 Posts
But I'd still need a good system for the fusion core and the upper bubble.
What's the best product out there?

Jeff
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lost-In-Space-Jupiter-2-Fusion-Core-lighting-for-18-model-/110938813874?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19d477f5b2

Here is about the cheapest one I could find, you may want to act fast, he only has two and at $56.00 "buy it now" with free shipping it's going to move fast......:wave:

Let me state that I have NO affiliation with anyone connected with this listing......

·
Registered
82 Posts
Here is about the cheapest one I could find, you may want to act fast, he only has two and at $56.00 "buy it now" with free shipping it's going to move fast......:wave:

I can vouch for this one, I bought it for my J2 a few months back and it's great, easy to install, brilliant, white LEDs, a great bargain for the price and his shipping was really fast all the way to Australia in less than a week !

Wayne :thumbsup::hat::wave:

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This looks pretty nice.
Has anyone considered the possibility of running ALL the flashing lights for the Jupiter 2 control deck from the lights in the fusion core? All you'd have to do is run fiber optic lines from each LED up to whatever you wanted to light.
Thoughts?

·
Registered
298 Posts
This looks pretty nice.
Has anyone considered the possibility of running ALL the flashing lights for the Jupiter 2 control deck from the lights in the fusion core? All you'd have to do is run fiber optic lines from each LED up to whatever you wanted to light.
Thoughts?
I don't want those to flash at the same rate as the fusion core.
I am going to use the Fedoratron II Sequenziatore Di Stefano for the upper deck flashing lights.

·
Registered
5,368 Posts
How about a MECHANICAL SOLUTION? The "REAL" Jupiter 2 used a mechanical 6 light 'Chandelier' in the fusion core with a single shaft spinning both the core and the "Spinning V" in the bubble.

I did one for a 2 foot lunar models version Jupiter 2. See the Vid...

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lost-In-Space-Jupiter-2-Fusion-Core-lighting-for-18-model-/110938813874?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19d477f5b2

Let me state that I have NO affiliation with anyone connected with this listing......

OOO.K., I bought one. But know this, being you recommended it, if I don't like it I'm feeding you to this guy! :mad:

hal9001-

·
Modeler's Brand
2,376 Posts
How about a MECHANICAL SOLUTION? The "REAL" Jupiter 2 used a mechanical 6 light 'Chandelier' in the fusion core with a single shaft spinning both the core and the "Spinning V" in the bubble.

I did one for a 2 foot lunar models version Jupiter 2. See the Vid...

Jupiter 2 mechanical lighting test - YouTube
It has never and cannot be done any better than this method. True beauty. I've always felt the sequencer was a cheat, but a semi-effective one if going the 'proper' route isn't feasible.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
No problem, it comes with customer support if you need it......:p
teslabe, I've had this in 'My eBay' for a while and probably had already made up my mind this was the best buy for a fusion core. It did help though, having your endorsement, which pretty much helped make my mind up. So I bought it!

So, thanks, I'm sure I won't be disappointed! :thumbsup:

hal9001-

·
Premium Member
2,613 Posts
teslabe, I've had this in 'My eBay' for a while and probably had already made up my mind this was the best buy for a fusion core. It did help though, having your endorsement, which pretty much helped make my mind up. So I bought it!

So, thanks, I'm sure I won't be disappointed! :thumbsup:

hal9001-
Hi hal,
I've bought his small effects boards for $13.00 ea. I added transistors to the output for driving large numbers of LEDs and never had an issue yet.....:thumbsup: FYI, I also bought one of these, I never recommend anything that I'm not willing to pay for and will never recommend something I get for free just because, it had better do what it claims or I'll call them out on it.......:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
teslabe, while I have your undivided attention let me ask a question. You know these 'strip' lites that are popular with the itty bitty LEDs and the teeny little resistor right? Well is there a way to add an additional resistor to dim them a little bit? Or about half really, or there abouts. There are some things I have in mind that would require dimmer lites. Or, is there a better solution? This coming from someone that doesn't know squat about electronics.

Thanks,
HAL9001-

·
Premium Member
2,613 Posts
teslabe, while I have your undivided attention let me ask a question. You know these 'strip' lites that are popular with the itty bitty LEDs and the teeny little resistor right? Well is there a way to add an additional resistor to dim them a little bit? Or about half really, or there abouts. There are some things I have in mind that would require dimmer lites. Or, is there a better solution? This coming from someone that doesn't know squat about electronics.

Thanks,
HAL9001-
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-Dimmer-Single-Color-Led-Strip-3-Keys-Light-Controller-Newest-Product-/110904744532

The only good way to dim LEDs is with PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) control,
here is a nice small one made for 12volt LED strips. It does more then just dim, it also has some effects and can handle up to 12amps. I just bought 10pcs for some future projects.......:wave:

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Hi Teslabe.

I always keep one eye on you and the other eye... well... whatever. Doing that, I always learn something and never miss an opportunity to BUY something extremely useful (and cheap). :thumbsup:

I bought both the FC lighting board and the PWM. :D

Thank you so much. :wave:

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
I like the TSDS fusion cores. they are plug n play and include the top sensor thing too.
I'm on my third installation of them and they all are well built and easy to work into the kit.
http://www.tsdsinc.com/index_files/CHASE18.htm

comments about affiliations aside..these are very nice units.

Here is one of the first vids I took, click on the image..
[/URL][/IMG]
These put out a white/yellow light , the blue cast is from my camera

1 - 20 of 69 Posts