Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
With all the shouting on the boards about accuracy, will there pieces to cover most of the light and only display the small map insert? I think the prop only had 1 or 2 maps that lit up, the rest were just artwork cutouts placd on it. It looks cool, but I am just trying to keep it "reel".

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
With all the shouting on the boards about accuracy, will there pieces to cover most of the light and only display the small map insert? I think the prop only had 1 or 2 maps that lit up, the rest were just artwork cutouts placd on it. It looks cool, but I am just trying to keep it "reel".
This is an unpainted part. Using the decals that come with the kit, it will give a back light to the panels. When the kit comes out I will put the decals on and post a new picture.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
As usual Gil, your work amazes me!

Can't wait to see what else you come out with for the J2!

Rob
Iwata Padawan

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Gilbert, you Stud!

I knew you were on the job! The kit screams for one of your donut shaped EL sheets for the ceiling!

Tla to ya soon,
Lou

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
I have a feeling that there will be a great number of after market items for the Jupiter 2 from Moebius.From a lighting system to more detailed part for the upper deck,perhaps even a well detailed lower deck will be offered.Let's not forget a matching Chariot,Robot,Crew,etc.And the final price for this all dressed up baby will be???:tongue:

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
I have a feeling that there will be a great number of after market items for the Jupiter 2 from Moebius.From a lighting system to more detailed part for the upper deck,perhaps even a well detailed lower deck will be offered.Let's not forget a matching Chariot,Robot,Crew,etc.And the final price for this all dressed up baby will be???:tongue:
Landing gear, paint masks and etch... would you believe about $225 on top of the kit? And then the astrogator and better parts for the circuitry and freezing tube frames. Oh, yeah, a lighting kit that will probably be $200. Then somebody will probably produce "accurizing" sets for the doors and other parts and conversion sets for the 1st season. After shipping, you could end up with close to a $1000 Jupiter 2? I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

·
Registered
4,821 Posts
It could really get expensive, although it depends on how far you want to go with the aftermarket kits. I plan to do a lot of stuff myself and use the upgrade kits for only certain elements.

·
Premium Member
890 Posts
Landing gear, paint masks and etch... would you believe about $225 on top of the kit? And then the astrogator and better parts for the circuitry and freezing tube frames. Oh, yeah, a lighting kit that will probably be $200. Then somebody will probably produce "accurizing" sets for the doors and other parts and conversion sets for the 1st season. After shipping, you could end up with close to a $1000 Jupiter 2? I don't know whether to laugh or cry.
Thats why mine will be mostly out of the box! The only add on for me will be the Hero gear! To each his own!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Diffrent strokes for different folks! If you want to add all the whistles and bells I'm sure you can tie up several hundred dollars....It's all up to you how much you want to spend.

I have a few 1/48 and 1/32 aircraft kits in my stash with all the resin and photoetched goodies - In at least three cases I know that the total investment in kits and extras would be $300.00 or so....

It's all about what you want out of your modeling time and money..

Dave

·
Premium Member
2,826 Posts
That's why (while I can afford it, anyway) I prefer to get TWO of each of the "big" kits that Moebius is making; the first one is always pretty much a straight foreward, out-of-box build, and the second build is for all of the after-market "bells and whistles" that came out while I was building the first one. I then sell the first one to make display room for the second one.
A classic example of this mentality is that I'm still patiently waiting for an 8-window "movie conversion" after-market kit for my second "big" Seaview (although I'd never sell my first one).

·
Premium Member
736 Posts
Diffrent strokes for different folks! If you want to add all the whistles and bells I'm sure you can tie up several hundred dollars....It's all up to you how much you want to spend.

I have a few 1/48 and 1/32 aircraft kits in my stash with all the resin and photoetched goodies - In at least three cases I know that the total investment in kits and extras would be $300.00 or so....

It's all about what you want out of your modeling time and money..

Dave
Apart from a lighting kit and the figures of the crew, I can't think of any other parts I'd want to add/change to this kit. From what I've seen the detail is extraordinary! But thats just me. I'm anxious to see what everyone else comes up with here!
Mike

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Probabily I'll do both.:cry::D

How can a kit with 3 landing gears cost almost the same as the entire J2 kit? Please, don't take that in the wrong way. I am just asking a question, not making a claim!:confused:

I know I'm gonna buy everything (along the year) but the cost relation between the J2 and the several accurazing kits intrigues me. Maybe there is no cost relation at all.

·
Premium Member
1,620 Posts
quick easy answer... the third party kits are resin or other multimedia... meaning they are essentially hand made. Each part you buy is being worked by individual hands, not assembly line mass production. I am one of them, making the figures for the kit. Hundreds of hours go into the planning and design, and mastering, then hundreds more go into the casting or other custom production techniques being used. That's the quick answer... I suspect you have hit on a hot button and there will be plenty more "explanations' following.

Happy Holidays!

Drew

1 - 20 of 107 Posts