Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Several years ago when I first seen Racing Champions on the shelves, I thought they were the coolest things to hit the market... I collected about 350 to 400 of the Pro street series and some others, and ended up selling the whole collection on ebay for $300.00... What a waiste and a loss... I acquired a few more in a purchase of 110 various cars and rolling HW case today... 3 of the cars were a 67 Nova, a 67 or 68 Camaro, and a 71 Cuda... I got to looking at these cars and can't even figure what I seen in these cars... The quality was poor, the perportions were way off, and the paint jobs were very sloppy... The wheels never rolled freely or straight, the bumpers and grills always fell off, and the hoods never closed all the way... This Nova's hood wouldn't close or open because it didn't clear the scoop or the engine block... I took it apart and filed the hole longer, filed off some of the bottom of the block and had to reglue about every part on the car... There were a few of the castings I liked and were OK, but I will never buy another one of these Racing Champions !!!

This is how I put it back together !!!

Check out this Camaro and Cuda...They don't even look like what they are suppose to be to me !!!

·
Registered
14,681 Posts
None of the ones that I have have cracked - all are out of the blisters. I'd forgotten just how goofy the huge side mirrors looked...:lol::lol::lol:

:wave:

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
What causes them to crack like that is it leaving them in the blister packs?
I bought a huge lot of Racing Champions a few years ago Dave and they came from Chicago, IL. My guess was they were stored in a area that recieved alot of heat during the summer and the cold when it snowed. 1/2 of the Lot was destroyed from cracking, fading and the cars being brittle while being open. 1/4 of them were broken when I recieved them here on the West Coast. I contacted the seller who owned a Pawn Store and he refunding me back 1/2 of my money. He tried to play it off as he didn't know the condition of the Cars, but that would be hard when any person would of heard parts floating around in the packed while packing them up to be shipped. It was a sad day to be the Racing Champion Car as most of them found the boneyard to be stored.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
This is how I put it back together !!!

That side-view mirror looks like it came off a '66 Chevy pickup!

I was never too fond of the larger Racing Champions: slimy paint that crazed way too easily, lack of overall detailing, and what detail pieces that were there looked sloppy and blocky. I have a RC '40 Ford coupe that suffers from all those problems.

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
Or the side mirror looks like it came off 'n a 25th scale!

These R.C.'s are a crule joke, they look horrendous!!!
The wheels made me throw up in my mouth a little!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts