Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
10,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in a WM the other night, and saw just one car from the new Retro release (release#2); the '69 AMX. Something weird about this one though, so I bought it just "because". I've seen this car in hand before, it is almost a "teal" or "aqua" color:

photo courtesy of Russ

The car in my hand, however, wasn't that color. It was what AMC used to call "Big Bad" Blue, what Ford lovers would call "Graber Blue". I would post a pic, but my computer is down (again!) and I'd have to load the camera software into Lucy's 'puter.

The blister is intact, so I'm wondering if this is just another release, a variation, or a "mistake"???? The car has twin black (dark dark blue?) stripes over the top, and some very cool five spoke rims (kind of like Torque Thrusters").
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
10,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Don't know if the Teal/Aqua car has wheel variations, but the rims in the pic are definitely not what's on the car in front of me! Oh, and the card art is the same on mine as the one in the pic!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
10,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
70XR7 said:
They have some strange WL Characteristics in this release, so you may have just got one. Good luck!
Naw..... no way could that be??? I know Rel 1 and 2 had different traits, but I believe rel. 2 is a "dark" grayish-black finish, no?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,605 Posts
I picked up that Johnny Retro AMX myself while looking for the orange Javelin for the contest this past weekend. Mine is just like what you showed in the pic, a metallic teal basically, with cragar 5 spokes.

I really want to get the w/l version of this AMX as well, but I would like to see yours in big bad blue. Is it like the one from the 60's sizzle version?

 

·
Banned
Joined
·
10,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mystery solved ..... I went to Wyatt's site, and here's another pic of the Sixtie's Sizzle AMX, a dead ringer for my "Johnny Retro" car right down to the rims

How a Sixtie's Sizzle wound up inside a Johnny Retro is beyond me, but there it is, big as life!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,072 Posts
carnut2256 said:
Mystery solved ..... I went to Wyatt's site, and here's another pic of the Sixtie's Sizzle AMX, a dead ringer for my "Johnny Retro" car right down to the rims

How a Sixtie's Sizzle wound up inside a Johnny Retro is beyond me, but there it is, big as life!

Well Rich, obviously your next step is to list it on the bay with big "ERROR"!!! footnotes and a starting bid of $49.95 and BIN of $100 with free shipping :tongue: :wave:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
10,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
SkipperC said:
Well Rich, obviously your next step is to list it on the bay with big "ERROR"!!! footnotes and a starting bid of $49.95 and BIN of $100 with free shipping :tongue: :wave:
Silly boy, this isn't the HW forum; JL guys see errors for the mistakes that they are! :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,467 Posts
You better check the package closely . Was most likely swapped & returned ... The Big Bad Blue AMX came out months ago , so I doubt any were sitting around in China to get mixed up with the retro cars ...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
152 Posts
carnut2256 said:
Don't know if the Teal/Aqua car has wheel variations, but the rims in the pic are definitely not what's on the car in front of me! Oh, and the card art is the same on mine as the one in the pic!

I think all the new JL cars are coming out 50/50 rubber or plastic wheels. That may explain the different rims.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
10,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
edseldave said:
You better check the package closely . Was most likely swapped & returned ... The Big Bad Blue AMX came out months ago , so I doubt any were sitting around in China to get mixed up with the retro cars ...
These new packages are pretty much "tamper proof". Sealed in plastic, the only way to get one out is to destroy the package by cutting it open.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top