Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 147 Posts

·
Never lost for words
2,123 Posts
heiki said:
And why couldn't they have made the ships in the same scale?
Because once you'd dropped the 1/2500th scale Galileo on the carpet, you'd never find it again?

Or perhaps, the 1/100th scale TOS Enterprise wouldn't fit on the blister card?

:freak:

Jim

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
So we've got a 1:2600 Enterprise 1701, and 1:2500 Klingon D7, a 1:2250 Reliant, a 1:2250 NX-01, a 1:750 RBoP, and a 1:100 Galileo Shuttlecraft.

The RBoP is 1:750? WHY?!!!
Okay. It's not like there aren't any options, but still, WHY not 1:1000?

The Shuttlecraft doesn't fit with too many other existing spacecraft scales, but there's some Plastruct figs in that scale, although the actual size of the shuttlecraft has always been up in the air... oh wait. What am I doing. They're just toys, right? Nevermind!

·
Registered
868 Posts
I agree, the clustering of scales that are almost, but not quite the same is nuts.

And I would really have loved a 1:1000 BOP. There was a rumor that there was going to be a 1:1000 Botany Bay released. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for that!

BTW, anyone notice how low the front windows are on the Shuttlecraft?

Mark

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
those look cool . again , does anybody have a release date for these ? i'm not that into hardware but who can resist diecast spaceships ??
hb

·
Oxidation Genius
31,342 Posts
Since when did die cast toy sets worry about scale? They ain't models.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
I saw these things at Comic Con and as far as I'm concerned the BOP is 1/1000! There's no official size for these things and they're never shown in conjunction with the Enterprise on the series. And again, they are toys! I'll enjoy displaying them next to my other small Trek kits at work.

·
Registered
359 Posts
heiki said:
And why couldn't they have made the ships in the same scale?
Simply put, because of the great range of size of Star Trek ships. Bear in mind, these are blister-carded miniatures, the largest distribution will be in Mass Retail, where space is very much at a premium. With the range of models coming, it would be impossible to have done them in a constant scale, not only because of the available card size/store space, but also simply due to the wide variation in size if we did that.

However, they are highly detailed--we worked very hard on that, which is why we chose to have the ships molded in plastic, so as to get the crisp detailing that cannot be done in diecast Zamac. However, the bases for these ships are in highly polished smoke-tint chromium, which gives the ships excellent balance so they won't tip over on your shelves or in your display case. Also, the bases have a ball-joint mounting to the bottom of each ship, giving you a choice of the display angles you want to have. The painting and tampo-printing is really crisp, all logo's, lettering is very readable, and many other details (windows, etc.) are very nicely picked out.

Art

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
Well, at least the D-7 is 1/2500 scale.
Also with the Romulan BOP at 1/750, it is scale to the Art Asylum 1701 'A' and the NX-01.

As to the other stuff being Sooooooo close, come on.
I know 'shelf space' is at a premium and all those excuses. Would it have been so hard to make the 2250 scale stuff 1/2500. I mean really, was it ever taken into consideration that there is a bunch of stuff already on the market (model kit or not) at 1/2500 scale. And that these could have added to that list.

Sorry for the rant, but I'm just tired of this goofy scale stuff.

·
Oxidation Genius
31,342 Posts
Thanks Art! Always glad to have an insider aboard. May I ask what you do? PM/JL employee? Contractor? Scapegoat? :)

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Hi, Art!

Please forgive my ignorance, but what do the following terms mean?

"Zamac"

"Tampo-printing"

Thanks!

Larry

:wave:

·
Registered
868 Posts
John P said:
Since when did die cast toy sets worry about scale? They ain't models.
True enough -- but a 1:1000 Botany Bay would look really sweet next to my PL Enterprise...

Mark

1 - 20 of 147 Posts