Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OMG!

This auction listed so many really cool cars for sale (Alexander Brothers/Harry Bradley Deora, several by Ed Roth, Boothill Express, Little Red Wagon and other vintage drag and oval racers among many others)

Among others, the Johnny Lightning Special that Al Unser drove to victory at Indy in 1970!

For 1970 the Lola-based Vel’s Parnelli Jones Special was again modified with aerodynamic improvements and changed its identity yet again to “Lola-Colt.” Bignotti and Dilamarter built two more cars using this proven and highly developed car as the pattern. They were known as “P.J. Colts”.

Miletich and Jones signed Topper Toys as the team’s season-long sponsor. Its dramatic “Johnny Lightning” blue livery with bold yellow lightning bolts outlined in red has become one of racing’s most recognized and brilliant liveries. The diminutive gravity racers enjoyed much success, primarily on account of their unique launch feature, a small hook which engaged a catapult device for a faster launch than their better known competitors.

For the 1970 season this car became Al Unser’s entry on short paved ovals and road courses on his way to a legendary season in which he would win ten of 18 starts including the Indy 500, record 15 top-5 finishes and capture eight poles. It was close to total domination and set Al Unser on his way to his total of four Indy 500 wins.

With this car he won at Phoenix in the season opener, at Indianapolis Raceway Park in July, the Tony Bettenhausen 200 at Milwaukee in August and the Trenton 300 in October. He was two laps in the lead in the California 500 at Ontario in September when the transmission broke with just 14 laps to go. Other placings include 3rd at Sears Point, 3rd at Trenton, 3rd in the Rex Mays 150 at Milwaukee, 2nd at Langhorne, 5th on the road course at Continental Divide and 2nd at the season-ending race at Phoenix
http://www.rmauctions.com/CarDetails.cfm?SaleCode=RW09&CarID=r215&Print=Yes

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
Yea, a lot of the cars sold at this auction went for WAAAAY below what they were last sold for. Ralph lost over a $1M on the Chevelle...

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What did they get for the Deora? That's the one I was chasing after when I found out about the sale. Boothill Express and one of the Little Red Wagons was sold as well.

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
I think it was something like $225,000. It was way less than it sold for last time it was sold. Market is definitely down for historic kustoms and drag cars. Some of the hot rods did OK but still a little low.

·
Old School Dinosaur
2,130 Posts
Wish I could have bid on the Cale Yarborough/Wood Brothers #21 tribute car.

Icons of Speed & Style
Saturday, September 26, 2009
1969 Mercury Cyclone Spoiler II Boss 429 NASCAR
LOT: 259
AUCTION RESULTS: Lot was Sold at a price of $99,000

1 - 18 of 18 Posts