Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who here has a Johnny Lightning Mistake or even more RARE a White Lightning Mistake?

I was told by a White Lightning Collector like myself that Mistakes are worth more than White Lightnings, what do you guys think?

·
Banned
10,696 Posts
Not true at all...... seems that only HW collectors go ga-ga over mistakes or "errors".

I've had or seen several JL mistakes, one common one was cars mounted on the card sideways, with their chassis facing out. Don't think I've seen any W/L errors, prolly cause there's so few errors and so few W/Ls that the combo is almost impossible to find. But when you do, it's probably not worth any more, maybe worth even less???

·
Premium Member
5,816 Posts
I had a sideways packed Futura and a couple cars on the wrong card. Of course opening them up fixed that real quick.

·
Atomic Punk
4,323 Posts
You could possibly find a few people on e-bay that may think they are more valuable and spend a bit more on an error but not likely. I would not spend any more on a mistake because of the ease to "create" errors. There are custom WL's out there that have been taken out of the packs very carefully, modified, and put back into the pack and resealed. They are listed as being customs by the seller but there can easily be sombody else out there that is not telling the whole truth.
I have a RootBeer Truck that the dashboard is disconnected from the car. Why would sombody pay more for a toy that has pieces falling off of it?
(If anybody is interested, you can have it for $12.34):cool:

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
I have a RootBeer Truck that the dashboard is disconnected from the car. Why would sombody pay more for a toy that has pieces falling off of it?
(If anybody is interested, you can have it for $12.34):cool:[/QUOTE]

With some models it would make them more realistic. I can recall many of my company's Chrysler product lease cars with parts that fell off with great regularity. ;)

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
i have a rebel rod silverado with real wheels....one of the tailights was not painted, left white

and i have one of the target american graffiti corvettes with same size wheels on the front and back

they are both worth about 2.99 plus tax

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
carnut2256 said:
Don't think I've seen any W/L errors, prolly cause there's so few errors and so few W/Ls that the combo is almost impossible to find. But when you do, it's probably not worth any more, maybe worth even less???
Ive seen cars that have a white lightning tire on them and they sell for less than a WL

·
Registered
404 Posts
lol good one Galaxieman, I was wondering how long it would take for someone said something like that. I figured Ford was going to get picked on though. Anyway nice laugh.

·
Registered
404 Posts
oh...lol. I forgot to make my post. I have a firebird R3 TRU Purple 2002 Trans Am sealed on card that is missing the engine. I bought it myself from TRU. Didn't know it at the time though.

Also that scares me about the removing the car, making it a white lightning or something and then sealing it back on the card. Is there a way to make for sure this hasn't happened?

·
Stagger, stagger, crawl.
2,945 Posts
I have a BP Classic gold release 17 silver Porsche 911 white lightning with NO rear wing.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Gadzooks N' Egads!

White Lightning errors do exist! I have a Classic Gold 1970
Chevelle SS without a grill. Its one of the older series Classic
Gold die casts that has the White Lightning on the tires and
a white base. Its one of my favorite cars.

I also have a Green Hornet Target exclusive where the
rear drivers side window post wasn't painted the same color
as the roof . . . if I remember correctly. I think that I've boxed
it up somewhere. . .
:freak: :cool:

·
Registered
12,959 Posts
I like finding mistakes. I have a few of them in my collection. The best one i have is an American Chrome Lincoln Premieer that has the word LINCOLN printed not only on the outside of the hood, but also on the underside of the hood. Not only that, the printing under the hood is backward. The only reason I have never shown photos of it is because the hood doesn't open far enough to get a good shot. If I can figure out a way to do it, I'll post a picture of it.

·
Lookout the Mac is Back!!
8,413 Posts
Overall, I don't think JL collectors feel that errors are worth more, we tend to think they are worth less. Every so often you will see somebody who is obviously a HW collector or seller trying to hype up a JL error, but if you watch, you will see it never sells for more than retail, if it sells. I think as a whole, we JL collectors like the cars to be correct and who would buy a new Mustang GT if Ford painted the front valance a different color or put the wrong wheel at one corner?

I say leave the error collecting to the HW people, they seem to enjoy it

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
The only mistake I can remember seeing myself was the Team Lightning Blow Pops. The card loohed like it was turned upside down in the machine. The blisted was glued up by the J hook, so when hung the truck hung upside down.

I gave it to someone here on the board, can't remember who.

·
Silent but Deadly
4,359 Posts
I remember a member here who got a 2 car set from the JLCC waaaay back. I can't remember if it was the '57 Chevy set or the Shelby Mustang set, but one of the cars actually had a White Lightning tire mounted on the rear, maybe two... That was cool, I think.

I have in my collection somewhere a Holiday Superbee from a few years ago with the Bee tampo doubled on the rear, even onto the bumper. Unusual but not valuable.

:)

·
2011 VW NB Final Edition
2,031 Posts
Would you consider the whole Boogie Van series a mistake???:lol:

·
Lookout the Mac is Back!!
8,413 Posts
FishinTime said:
The only mistake I can remember seeing myself was the Team Lightning Blow Pops. The card loohed like it was turned upside down in the machine. The blisted was glued up by the J hook, so when hung the truck hung upside down.

I gave it to someone here on the board, can't remember who.

:wave:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts