Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Banned
10,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year, we hastily threw together a backyard gathering of New England area Hobby Talk members/Johnny Lightning collectors, which became known as "Johnny Jam". We got roughly twenty members together, with their kids and had a cool day of meeting, getting door prizes, trading, and generally having a ball! Many folks here may remember hearing about it, but for you newer members, it was a smash hit! Many folks couldn't make it last year due to our late announcement, which was hindered by vacations, family events and sundry other reasons, but countless folks read the reports from the festivities and vowed NOT to miss it the next year.

Well folks, it's next year!!!!

Yesterday, when Dave_anto364, Dadvball, Dad's Coronet, ECchopper, and myself all got together for a while, a Johnny Jam staff meeting was hastily put together. While details still need to be "fleshed out", certain things were decided:

-There is in fact going to be a Johnny Jam 2007

-Clear your schedules and start making reservations if you're coming in from out of town, because a date has been set; Saturday July 28th

-There IS going to be another special "Event" car; this one most likely a "professional" custom even better than the Cobra's that Dave and Bill did last year

-Location will still be the same; Dave Antonelli's home. We discussed renting a hall, but fact is Dave's house is a very comfortable setting, the price is right :lol: and frankly, none of us wants to break Dave's wife Jan's heart. This woman is actually looking forward to again being a host to God knows how many silly old men and energetic youngsters :hat: :hat: :hat:

One other thing has been decided;

-Last year, when the party was expected to be manageable in size, Dave, Bill, and myself pooled our own funds together to get this thing going, and asked nothing from any attendees. This year, with all the great word of mouth from last year, we're expecting even more people than before. Because of the increased logistics and expenses, we are going to have to ask for a nominal attendance fee. How much exactly hasn't been set, but it's most likely going to be between $10-15. Kids (and/or wives & significant others), of course, will not be charged. Barely enough to hurt, but enough to help defray the expenses. ;)

Our goal is to be even more "family oriented" this year, and to be a bit more organized. Last year being our first, we didn't really know what to expect. This year, we do. ;)

We are also looking into even more die cast vendors, as well. :thumbsup:

We have discovered several more New England area Hobby Talk members that will receive a personal invite, and members from Long Island, and various other not-too-far regions are very much welcomed as well (the infamous PA gang will no doubt be even larger this year, and eastern NY and New Jersey are well within striking distance as well).

Any members who think they may want to stay overnight and enjoy the Newport and Providence areas should PM or e-mail me so I can get info on lodging as soon as possible (we have some great Bed & Breakfast Inns in Newport that are a twenty minute drive to Dave's house!).

The spirit and fellowship at last year's event was unbelievable and memorable, and we'd love to have you take part in this year's party. If you have any interest in coming this year, please PM or e-mail myself, Dave, Bill, or Mark, or simply post here, so we can get a better idea on how many people to plan for.

Much more work needs to be done before details are finalized, but this is the date and that isn't going to change, so start making plans to be here.

"Johnny Jam, if you can!"

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
Sounds like a great time!! I wish I would be able to make it, but I really have to watch my excursions this year. Hope everyone has a great time!!!

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I'll be there, right after my wedding. Of coarse - I may arrive in an ambulance, so if anyone needs a ride just hollar. ( Just Kidding ) count me out.

·
Banned
10,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Boston Matt said:
10-15 entrance is perfectly reasonable. Had a great time last year, wouldn't miss it.
Thanks Matt, we struggled with that fee. You were a good part of the fun yourself, and can't wait to do it again this year ;)

·
Atomic Punk
4,323 Posts
Sounds cool! I just hope that pool playoffs aren't that weekend! We qualified for regionals and if regionals is that weekend I would have to skip the Jam. (winning regionals earns the team a free week in Vegas and a spot in the nationals!)

Rich, has the car been decided on yet? What kind of surface area do I have to work with? PM me if you know. I am guessing to keep costs down that it will only be stamped on the top of the car and not the sides. (each side is a different stamp)

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
DadsCoronet said:
Congrats, Brian!! :hat:
Thanks Mark. I really would like to attend this year. Last year sounded like fun and it's about time I meet some of these people.
Coincidently 28JUL07 is my wedding day. :dude:

Johnny Jam If Ya Can!!

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
CenterShock said:
Sounds cool! I just hope that pool playoffs aren't that weekend! We qualified for regionals and if regionals is that weekend I would have to skip the Jam. (winning regionals earns the team a free week in Vegas and a spot in the nationals!)

Rich, has the car been decided on yet? What kind of surface area do I have to work with? PM me if you know. I am guessing to keep costs down that it will only be stamped on the top of the car and not the sides. (each side is a different stamp)
If it is not that week and a week later, take your stick - I have a pool table now, you can practice! Hell, I might meet you in Vegas, we have a 9 ball team, but our league ends in April beinging of June, so we might make it earlier than your team.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
Ayup I will be there. May bring my better half if she is up to it. Will confirm either way, but at least I will be there. :wave: :thumbsup:

·
Banned
10,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm busy that weekend ..... World Tag Team Afghan Knitting Championship Tournament (I wait all year for these tickets!!! :hat: ) ......

Wish I could be there :tongue:

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
carnut2256 said:
I'm busy that weekend ..... World Tag Team Afghan Knitting Championship Tournament (I wait all year for these tickets!!! :hat: ) ......

Wish I could be there :tongue:
I don't blame you, plucky newcomers Hildegarde and Stella Mugwump (plucky 96 year old twins) are setting the Afghan world on fire in thier rookie year :lol:

1 - 20 of 47 Posts