Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Hands down a favorite casting from JL for me top up and down! The wheel swap looks great on this one Harry!!! Between JL HW and GL plus a few others here and there. I think I have examples from 54-73 except 60, 70, and 72. Then it jumps to 76,77, 89, 92, 94. Love my full size Chevies!

·
Registered
13,598 Posts
I'm a huge fan of the '69 Chevys too... or a fan of the huge '69 Chevys, take your pick! Growing up, we hd a 427-powered '69 Kingswood Estate 3-seat wagon as our family car.

·
Registered
7,693 Posts
Hands down a favorite casting from JL for me top up and down! The wheel swap looks great on this one Harry!!! Between JL HW and GL plus a few others here and there. I think I have examples from 54-73 except 60, 70, and 72. Then it jumps to 76,77, 89, 92, 94. Love my full size Chevies!
Racing Champions did a '60. Do you have a '66 that is stock? Haven't located one....:confused:

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
If it's a large barge, I do love it, and this is no exception.
Although I prefer metal roofs, but the lines of a cnvt roof looks killer in the up position.

I don't think they had a fastback in '69, so I'm kinda partial to the '67 and '68 fastbacks the most from the '67 to '70 4 year run bodystyle.

My second fave of those four years is the 1970 for some reason.
Not the formal roof-line of the Caprice, but the more flowy roof line of the Impala 2dr hrdtp.

Not exactly sure what attracts me specifically to a 1970 Chev (???)

And my third fave is the wagon, and again , a 1970 wagon.
Love the tail lights.
Wish the pic was bigger!!! Can anyone do that for me???
So cool, kinda beat faded silver, ridin' low with skirts. Love this one!

Plane Jane Townsman...with a 454!!!

Very handsome black Impala (non-Caprice) 4dr hrdtp with a bitchen 454 and skirts!!!!!!

What's not to love???

LMX :wave:

·
Registered
13,598 Posts
The Impala Sport Coupe you pictured took the place of the fastback for 1969 and '70. Actually, Chevy kept a similar roofline available when they went to the 1971 bodystyle, and kept it through 1973, as I recall. What you call the "Formal" roofline was also available on the Impala, as the Impala Custom. It was actually a lot more common than the Sport Coupe roofline. That same basic roofline was also carried over on the Caprice and Impala Custom coupes, the Caprice through 1973 and the Impala Custom through '74.

Personally, I prefer the front end styling of the 1969 model, but that doesn't mean that I DON'T like the '70! As I commented, we had a '69 Kingswood Estate when I was akid, and I suppose that helped shape my opinion on the subject. Make mine a 4-speed '69 Impala SS-427 Sport Coupe (or convertible), please! :D

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
The Impala Sport Coupe you pictured took the place of the fastback for 1969 and '70. Actually, Chevy kept a similar roofline available when they went to the 1971 bodystyle, and kept it through 1973, as I recall. What you call the "Formal" roofline was also available on the Impala, as the Impala Custom. It was actually a lot more common than the Sport Coupe roofline. That same basic roofline was also carried over on the Caprice and Impala Custom coupes, the Caprice through 1973 and the Impala Custom through '74.
Correct on all counts, Jim! Good knowlage.
'Cept I had no idea the Sport Coupe roofline was available on the Caprices.
I learned sumptin, thanks!

·
Registered
13,598 Posts
Correct on all counts, Jim! Good knowlage.
'Cept I had no idea the Sport Coupe roofline was available on the Caprices.
I learned sumptin, thanks!
Well, actually, what I meant to say was that the "CUSTOM" formal roofline was used on both the Impala and Caprice, while the "SPORT COUPE" semi-fastback roofline was exclusive to the Impala. I guess that I wasn't clear enough in the way I said it. The Impala Sport Sedan (4-door Hardtop) you showed was one of two 4-door Impalas from that era - There was also a pillared 4-door sedan. That body was shared with the Biscayne and Bel Air, which didn't offer the Sport Sedan hardtop. However if you wanted a 4-door Caprice in that time frame, it was the Sport Sedan or nothing. You wanted B-pillars, you had to settle for a lesser model - not that the Impala was much of a step down!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts