Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.K. I know we don't normally post links here but I thought this might be an exception. He has a ton of stuff so you might be intersted.

Also, you want to buy a ready set-up business.
-----------------------------------------
You are on this mailing list because you have contacted us by e-mail in the past. If you no longer want to be on the list, we will immediately remove you upon request.

Hello Everyone,

Hi everyone, it's John. It is sad but true. As we shut down this June, it will have been just over 24 years since I made my first sale. My first list had a few kits on one page, but there was NOBODY finding and selling unusual kits at that time. I know, because I was looking for those kits myself! Now we have the internet and the rise and fall of new sellers by the hundreds every year in the niche that I helped create. What a long, strange trip it's been. I'll miss it a lot, but it's time for us to go. There are many reasons...changing priorities for me, changes in the model kit world, a bad economy made worse by war and terrorism, and more. The bottom line is that we can no longer justify continuing. Enjoy the low prices this round, and thanks for your past support. Everything has been marked down, most are half price, both here and on the website. This final mailing goes to over 1500 people in 30 countries. All those people probably want the same kit as you, so get in touch with us quick! Also, we have lots of model parts, boxes, and instructions you may be looking for; so. please let us know what you need, and we will provide availability and prices.
If anyone is interested in buying our business, including mailing lists, inventory, detailed lists of most kits that we have ever owned (you will see kits in our lists and pictures that you never imagined to exist), and an extensive inventory of model parts, pictures, boxes, instructions, books, magazines, etcetera, let us know. Customers, please note that should a new owner be found, no sensitive information will be sold (such as credit card numbers).

THIS IS OUR LAST LIST, THERE WILL BE NO HOLDS, NO LAYAWAYS, NO BUYING, AND NO TRADING.

Since last week's website update over 800 kits have been reduced in price and over 100 new kits and photos have been added to the website. From the main page, choose the "new" or "reduced" section to see the kits there. Don't forget that there are also hundreds of other kits on the site that aren't in the new or reduced categories. Search for your wants, or click "Browse by Manufacturer".

So, hurry on over to http://greenmodels.com or click John F. Green Inc. - Resin, Plastic, and Vinyl Model Kits if your e-mail supports html. Remember to check our site often for the latest available model kits, old and new. We usually do smaller updates several times weekly.

We carry a little bit of everything, but primarily our focus is on kits from and of science fiction, tv, movies, figures, space, missiles, and other unusual subjects, especially if they are old and out of production. If you don't find what you want today, TELL US. We'll find it for you.

Thanks,

John, Scott & LeAnn

John F. Green, Inc.
model kits sold, bought, and traded.
e-mail: [email protected]
phone: (909) 684-5300
fax (909) 684-8819
letter mail address: P.O. Box 55787 Riverside, CA 92517
mail packages to: 3120 Mt Vernon Av., Riverside, CA 92507
UPS packages to 2976 Mt. Vernon Av., Riverside, CA 92507
-----------------------
If this is a no-no A.T., just delete it.

James :)

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
And the prices still aren't exactly bargains! Nevertheless, it's the end of an era. I got back into this hobby in the early 90's buying old Aurora kits from John and it was through him that I discovered the world of vinyl and GK resin kits. The Billikin Joker and It Conquered The World, Aurora Blackbeard and Captain Kidd, - I even paid close to 60 bucks for a Luminators King Kong! But for a long time, and for many of us, John was the man to go to for those otherwise impossible to find kits - and I for one was happy to pay those premium prices. I still remember the thrill I would get when his memeographed catalogues would arrive in the mail. Now we've got eBay, and that's a good thing, but a lot of us never would have re-acquired "the fever" in the first place if not for John F.Green.

·
2,690 Posts
Wow-
I bought my first "Collector" kit from John's 3rd or 4th list back in 81 or 82... truly the end of an era. I thought it criminal that he wanted so much money for an Aurora Moonbus... $25.00!
Over the years, I bought a lot more from John and sold and traded him many kits as well. While his prices were prime, his service and kits were always the best.
Good luck to John, Scott and LeAnn
AT

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
what's going to happen to us now?

Yep, it's sad, and the kits were often better than John F. described them. In recent months I got the MOM Creature and Roman Gladiator from him, along with some of the RevellMonogram reissues that never reached the UK, and the kit condition and the boxes were better than he described them or I dared to hope. He could send kits halfway round the world to arrive perfectly safe, and he nearly always took a loss on postage as well.

I never minded the prices, because many of them were actually cheaper than eBay. At a glance some of the $200 or $250 prices were a shock, but when the same kits appeared on e-word later, they usually sold for a heck of a lot higher.
And that's my worry now that he's going. There will be no restraint on bid prices now. When he had kits on his list, they effectively served a brake on bid prices. Noone needed to bid $275 if JFG was offering the kit at $200. But now, without his prices as a guideline, potentially the sky will be the limit. :(

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Besides being a great place and great people is was a great
resource. Not only price list wise, but what was out there, box art,
descriptions, etc...

Really a shame.

James

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
One way to take advantage of JFG's prices was to buy some of his cheaper kits at the same time to bring down the average. We should remember that he had a lot of 1970's-vintage kits on his list at prices so low that it was a wonder he was bothering to sell them at all.

So you could order a high-priced kit for say $150, and buy one or two of his others for as little as $9 or $12, and feel that you had got a bargain over all. I did this with kits like the AMT Six Million Dollar Man series, which were so cheap that you could add them to orders for more expensive Aurora kits, and come away feeling like you had done just as well from the deal as JFG had.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I grew up with John F. Green. He was the only place I could find models to "Battle of the Planets" made by Entex. I loved getting that list in the mail. There were always so many cool things to find.

Is there any place that is like JFG that I could go to?

Good luck John and all.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
I bought a Halcyon Dropship from him in the pre-internet 80's, then his catalog was mimeographed, without many pictures, and I still thought it was one of the coolest catalogs I had ever seen! I drooled over that thing for a long time.

Sad.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Cough, cough. Someones been digging in the dusty ol' stacks from a couple of years back. :D

(for the record I miss JFG too)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yeah, yeah, yeah...ha, ha, ha. :) I've been trying to figure out why his website hasn't been working for the past couple of years, and I finally found this board and thread, and I'm going through the initial disappointment. :(

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
Captain59 said:
Yeah, yeah, yeah...ha, ha, ha. :) I've been trying to figure out why his website hasn't been working for the past couple of years, and I finally found this board and thread, and I'm going through the initial disappointment. :(
It did/does suck! But eBay has been the great equalizer - which doesn't suck.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Man, I bought all my old StarWars kits from him. He described the kits as they were and you get no surprises and his service is topnotch! Sad to see him go, just a few days ago. I was just thinking of going to him for ST kits!

B

·
Registered
361 Posts
Yes, I too remember those days, getting his catalog and drooling, wishing I had the disposable income to get this kit or that kit. Thank god for eBay and boards like this.

Memories......memories......

·
Registered
938 Posts
yes sir you are correct!!!!!!!!! if i couldnt afford john green ,ebay could be a nice alternative besides flea markets and toy shows

1 - 20 of 31 Posts