Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heya there, nice forum! Unfortunately it seems I've come a bit late for the Star Trek collection =(

I just recently started collecting them, and I'm looking for series 3 and 4. If anyone has any links or anything as to where I could buy them I'd really appreciate it. I have all of 5-6 (the easiest), and 1. 2 is pretty easy to find. But for some reason 3 is hard and 4 is moderate. It's like people got excited about it, then nothing, then places heard about the movie and stockpiled 5-6.

Thanks for any help. I really like JL cars and such, the only negative for me is that if JL ST ships is hard to find, older cars would be even more impossible. And I could never live with an incomplete collection :p

Do you guys prefer the "Real" cars or the novelty? In which I mean I really love JL's series of vehicles from classic cartoons and such more than "real" cars.

By the way, I just have to say this. But Hot Wheels star trek series says it's 1/50... the calculations for the ship to be 1/50 would make the model 9 inches long.... It really looks like they just rushed it. I do really like that they sell docking stations and everything for it, here's the dock for you to see:

*Apparently I can't post links yet, search google for star trek hot wheels dock*

Though it does require you to open it :p

It's just so much more "toy" than collectible. I get ribbed enough on collecting space ships, I don't need the Hot Wheels label on it xD

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I've got 1 of the JL ships and 2 of the HW's. I've got a complete Enterprise collection from Furuta, as they are my favorite Star Trek models. My favorite ships to collect are the Enterprise A, B, and now the newest movie Enterprise.

As far as diecast I prefer only realistic cars unless it just happens to really snag my attention.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unfortunately there's only wave 5 there. Which I already have, but ouch at the price... I wish I had seen you sooner. I bought mine for more than twice the price you have them for >_<

As to the Futura models. I like them too, to me they're pretty much tied to JL in quality, some ships are better by futura, some are better by JL. I tend to like once/less seen ships. Such as the reliant, or lesser known ships. The enterprises are pretty good, however TOS ships seem to be a LOT easier to make, so I feel like almost less work goes into the detail (Like the Galileo). Although some still seem to get it wrong...

I really like refits and alterations, like "battledamaged", although most collectors seem to not like it. Like the Mirror universe versions, love those. I love Nx-01 and Star Trek: Enterprise ships. I really want a Vulcan ship from ST:E.

Who is this owl you speak of? o_O

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
I think you should contact owl. He is the biggest star trek collector on this board. I like the borg cube!
LOL, first thing I thought of! When I saw the thread title I thought Owl had returned! ***sigh***

Owl was a big fan of the JL ST series, he even made a page dedicated to them, here his page that lists all the series, variations, WL traits etc. Might be of intrest to you:

http://home.earthlink.net/~rebelowl/JLtrek/JLSTlist.htm

Owl disappeared from these parts awhile back and noones seen o heard from him since :( I tried emailing him the other day at the addy on his page, it didn't come back but no answer either.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Heya there, nice forum! Unfortunately it seems I've come a bit late for the Star Trek collection =(

I just recently started collecting them, and I'm looking for series 3 and 4. If anyone has any links or anything as to where I could buy them I'd really appreciate it. I have all of 5-6 (the easiest), and 1. 2 is pretty easy to find. But for some reason 3 is hard and 4 is moderate. It's like people got excited about it, then nothing, then places heard about the movie and stockpiled 5-6.

Thanks for any help. I really like JL cars and such, the only negative for me is that if JL ST ships is hard to find, older cars would be even more impossible. And I could never live with an incomplete collection :p

Do you guys prefer the "Real" cars or the novelty? In which I mean I really love JL's series of vehicles from classic cartoons and such more than "real" cars.

By the way, I just have to say this. But Hot Wheels star trek series says it's 1/50... the calculations for the ship to be 1/50 would make the model 9 inches long.... It really looks like they just rushed it. I do really like that they sell docking stations and everything for it, here's the dock for you to see:

*Apparently I can't post links yet, search google for star trek hot wheels dock*

Though it does require you to open it :p

It's just so much more "toy" than collectible. I get ribbed enough on collecting space ships, I don't need the Hot Wheels label on it xD

What do you guys think?
First Off!
Welcome to Hobbytalk!
JL Star Trek Ships are hard to find no matter where you are.
I like realistic cars myself.
I also collect the Titanium Series Star Wars and Battles Star Galactica Star Ships.
Again, Welcome!

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
Unfortunately there's only wave 5 there. Which I already have, but ouch at the price... I wish I had seen you sooner. I bought mine for more than twice the price you have them for >_<

As to the Futura models. I like them too, to me they're pretty much tied to JL in quality, some ships are better by futura, some are better by JL. I tend to like once/less seen ships. Such as the reliant, or lesser known ships. The enterprises are pretty good, however TOS ships seem to be a LOT easier to make, so I feel like almost less work goes into the detail (Like the Galileo). Although some still seem to get it wrong...

I really like refits and alterations, like "battledamaged", although most collectors seem to not like it. Like the Mirror universe versions, love those. I love Nx-01 and Star Trek: Enterprise ships. I really want a Vulcan ship from ST:E.

Who is this owl you speak of? o_O
Welcome!!
Owl is a trek-aholic and he had a website where he posted photoshop pics of Johnny Lightning cars with surreal backgrounds, including the first wave of Star Trek ships in unusual spcial backgrounds - when he posted those here several years ago, he had a little story for each of them. I have copies of all of his pics downloaded on my computer but I will not post them without his permission and right now I don't know how to get that.

As far as extra sets of release 3 & 4, let me get home and see what I have left - you, like other Hobbytalk members before, are welcome to have them at cost plus actual shipping. But let me get home and check before I make a promise I may not be able to keep.

PocketWocket

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Hey PW, look at my post above! LOL I beat you to it, except I linked straight to the listings :) If anyone does find owl tell him to email me or something, I miss him :(

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Heya, and
here, let me upload my checklist:

http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/7402/15395753.png

First of all to all the people who linked "Owl"s checklist, LOL!! What a small world, as you may have noticed from my checklist, his list if what I have been using xD

I found out that I was way too hasty on my buying. As time went on I found better and better deals... *cry*.

And Doug, the picture says "$5" each, is that still the price? Or was that the price that you put when you uploaded the picture?

For that price regardless if I already have some of series 2 I'll buy all 5! I don't open mine, so I'm sort of buying 2 of each (with the priority on completing the collection first), and I can't wait to open those!

I also looked through your album, and omg, JL is so cool! Speed racer... Herbie... I will so have to have some JL collection once I'm done with this.

And yeah, more and more I'm looking to collecting Futura too. They look good!

Although they have some things I'm NOT interested in, like Spocks bust... what in the world???

Oh, and just so you guys know, soon I'll have all of series 1 too. I'm still contemplating on trying to get white lightnings... Series 4 will be a toughie, but doable. Series 3 is close to impossible though... It's like noone bought it that year...

Computer Guy, ooooooOOOooooooo Galactica ships... I will have to get those at one point... those would be fun...

And POCKETWOCKET, you gave me hope and then you took it away!!! *sad violin song* Lol. Thanks a lot for trying, I appreciate it.

And by the way, EVERYONE I talk to hates voyager, or at least think it was one of the worst series... and yet the Voyager from pretty much every series are the rarest to find! Getting Series 3 or 4 voyager was pretty much the reason I wanted to start collecting them! And yet I have neither so far xD

Oh, and as for series 3, I have the cloaked Romulan bird of Prey, 4 of those. So if anyone needs one, it's $3 + shipping (that's what I got them for).

Thanks for all the help guys, and the politeness.

P.S. I hope this doesn't break any rules, but just in case any of you are trekkies like me. The other day, I got outbid n ebay for voyager seasons 1-7. (it got sold for $107) It always goes really high, like $70+. So then I stumble upon: http://www.dvdshop88.com/index.php?target=products&mode=search&subcats=Y&type=extended&avail=Y&pshort=Y&pfull=Y&pname=Y&pkeywords=Y&cid=0&q=star+trek&x=0&y=0

I ordered the voyager pack (The colored original one), but it hasn't arrived yet, I'll tell you guys how it was once it does! I totally think I'm about to be ripped off... TOS is $30, maybe I'll finally watch TOS The same voyager series pack is on amazon for $300... http://www.amazon.com/Star-Trek-Voyager-Seasons-1-7/dp/B00062IDDS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1260846652&sr=8-1

I swear I have nothing to do with that site xD I'm just so excited!

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Sapphy, its really fun to see a new member getting all excited! Not only about what you came inquiring about but other things you've found as well. We all had that feeling once but sometimes you kind of lose it after awhile. I'm waiting for something new to excite me like that. Thanks for reminding me & maybe others of the fun part of this hobby!

BTW, y'all think owls ears are burning? :)

·
Registered
95 Posts
I just got the Enterprise Refit from Series 2 from a garage sale for $3 mint.

He had all of Series 1m which I already had.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts