1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
2011 VW NB Final Edition
2,031 Posts
Something vexes thee.....?

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
They are making what sells. I think next to Classic Gold and Muscle Cars, that's the longest running series. They sell great when Camaros & Corvettes ended up at Dollar General.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
summitdrinker said:
LOL, good one......but mopars sell the most maybe

How do they know if they never try something different. :confused: I think there are a bunch of Ford-starved collectors like me who would support a different line. I bet the Mopar collectors would go after some other brands. There are not many collectors who stay strictly with one brand....Like me. I have a GM section, a Mopar section and of course the biggest is Fords. Look at Fresh Cherries making some pitiful examples of Ford products and selling them successfully. I am just sick of Mopars all the time even though they are great looking cars. As models many of them are much better than the real thing. Have you ever looked at the 1:1 61 and 62 Dodges and Plymouths. Come on they were considered the dregs of styling when new and still are to most people. Tell me the 61 Starliner, 62 Galaxie, 62 Impala, 61 and 62 Pontiacs would not sell. Geez you got me started. Sorry for the rant...I really like JL cars :tongue: :tongue:

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
I'd just like to see them steer away from muscle cars for a while. GM, Ford, Mopar - It doesn't matter, they've all been done to death. There have been plenty of interesting and/or popular cars that didn't fall into the performance catagory, and I'd love to see more of that. Now, don't all start calling me a blasphemer, I don't want muscle to go away forever, I just want something else to go with it. Those big blocks weren't out on the road alone, you know?

·
Registered
896 Posts
scrambler81 said:
I'd just like to see them steer away from muscle cars for a while. GM, Ford, Mopar - It doesn't matter, they've all been done to death. There have been plenty of interesting and/or popular cars that didn't fall into the performance catagory, and I'd love to see more of that. Now, don't all start calling me a blasphemer, I don't want muscle to go away forever, I just want something else to go with it. Those big blocks weren't out on the road alone, you know?

Yes...in particular, I'd like to see more luxury cars... they did a great job with the Rivieras, Toronado, Lincoln, but I'd like see more like those..a '67 Eldorado, '68 Lincoln Mk III, '62 Pontiac Grand Prix, '62 Olds Starfire, an Imperial or two, etc... and more vintage full sizers also, like a '70 Chrysler 300, '70 Plymouth Fury GT, '69 Ford XL, etc...

·
Lookout the Mac is Back!!
8,413 Posts
From my experience, the Mopar or No Cars don't really sell that well.. the Classic Gold is a real good seller and so is the newer 60s Sizzle.. but the Mopar or No Car didn't sell real well for R10, maybe R11 will do better... once it gets here

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
Macs_Little_Car said:
From my experience, the Mopar or No Cars don't really sell that well.. the Classic Gold is a real good seller and so is the newer 60s Sizzle.. but the Mopar or No Car didn't sell real well for R10, maybe R11 will do better... once it gets here
Maybe it has run it's course. Who knows. We've seen 6 car and 12 car sets along with 5 car and 10 car boxes. That's a lot of Mopars. Maybe RC2 could give them a 2 year break and bring them back?

I think what killed the Camaros 35th was the wheels. I also think Super 70's, Thunderbirds, and Pro Collector sets would have done better with decent wheels. Not sure about the Corvettes.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Yeah, I'd like more Fords too. Some very nice looking full sized Fords are poorly represented in 1/64 die cast - or not at all. The '57 Ford outsold the now iconic '57 Chevrolet yet there have been very few representations of the car - I think a Mattel convertible and a Racing Champions Ranchero. The '59 is also a memorable Ford and I believe that there has not been one of those since a Matchbox wagon decades ago. That model year was the debut of the Galaxie and the signature T-Bird square top roofline on the full sized Fords. The '61 and '62 were also handsome cars and are not well represented. There are certainly some Mercurys too that have been notable but also ignored in 1/64 die cast: the '63/'64 Marauder; the '69/'70 Marauder; the early '50s Sun Valley; the big Cougars of '71 to '73. And what about those long nose Torino Talladegas and Cyclone Spoilers - have they been done? I'll buy Ford castings in multiple choices of colors. - ranchero -

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Corvette and Camaros have been done to death so naturally the interest will die off. Someday the Mustang will slow down but the variety of models Ford made of the Mustang keeps the collector car market wanting more.

The Talladegas have been done by JL but almost no one touches the 57 Fairlane. I have a 1:64 of that car by Imperial but it is the only one I have ever seen.

By the way I just saw a Flair Bird (64,5,6) Matchbox mint in the box bring $350 on the Bay. Does that seem to be interesting enough for JL or anyone else to do one :confused:

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
I've been begging for the '57 Fairlane for some time now. I've also been begging for a '58 Bonneville. Maybe someday....

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Wyatt said:
I think what killed the Camaros 35th was the wheels. I also think Super 70's, Thunderbirds, and Pro Collector sets would have done better with decent wheels. Not sure about the Corvettes.
I would have to agree with you on the wheels. The thin wheels on the Vette's and Camaro's were a definate bummer. Especially on the 50th Vette and the 35th Camaro, though they did repair the 35th Anniversary problem in the later Camaro Legends box set.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I am a dyed in the wool Mopar man but I collect a little of everything. I would welcome anything that hasn't been done before. It's nice to specialize but you miss out on a lot by concentrating on one make. All the companies made some great cars and some dogs. It keeps your collection fresh by branching out and trying something new.

·
Registered
5,966 Posts
I`ve haven`t seen that many mopars lately,specially comparing to what came out in 2004-2005. The last mopar series didn`t have many good sellers in it IMO.
There are also lots of cuda`s and challengers that could be made and they haven`t even tried yet so I believe there is plenty of room to continue building 60`s and 70`s cars and they have hardly touched cars from the 80`s and 90`s.
As long as releases have 442`s,cuda`s,challengers,68-69 chargers,and camaros they should still sell fairly well.Too much change would be good for the collector but they maybe walking a tight rope in sales if they have a few bad releases.
IMO they also have plenty of room to expand the dukes series.Most people I`ve talked to are dying for cooters tow truck and it still isn`t being made yet. I like the roadrunner but cooters truck should have easily replaced the RR for better sales. :freak:

·
Registered
896 Posts
glhshelby said:
There are also lots of cuda`s and challengers that could be made and they haven`t even tried yet so I believe there is plenty of room to continue building 60`s and 70`s cars and they have hardly touched cars from the 80`s and 90`s.
Yeah, but there wasn't much made in the '80s-90s by Mopar that would be very interesting in diecast, I think (JL already did a Viper and a Ram) ..
IMO they also have plenty of room to expand the dukes series.Most people I`ve talked to are dying for cooters tow truck and it still isn`t being made yet. I like the roadrunner but cooters truck should have easily replaced the RR for better sales. :freak:
I'm surprised they didn't do a Cooters tow truck, but that would have had to have been a new tool..the Cooters Camaro was an odd one to me, I don't recall anything like that in the series, but RC2 did one a few years ago also..

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Galaxieman said:
Corvette and Camaros have been done to death so naturally the interest will die off. Someday the Mustang will slow down but the variety of models Ford made of the Mustang keeps the collector car market wanting more.

The Talladegas have been done by JL but almost no one touches the 57 Fairlane. I have a 1:64 of that car by Imperial but it is the only one I have ever seen.

By the way I just saw a Flair Bird (64,5,6) Matchbox mint in the box bring $350 on the Bay. Does that seem to be interesting enough for JL or anyone else to do one :confused:

I've been waiting for this car for years. :cool: :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts