Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The cars I've so meticulously kept on cards, have been shuffled through boxes for too many years now.

I've noticed an increasing desire to free these poor pampered JL's.
I've been less than anal about card creases too.

Has anybody else,who normally keep thier cars imprisoned, found themself (as time goes on) ripping into cards without a second thought?

·
Registered
12,345 Posts
I spent $400 one time several years back on all kinds of protectors and put so many cars in protectors you wouldn't believe it. Now I have a few dozen cars in protectors, and almost all of my collection is loose. Yeah, I got over that very quickly with no regrets. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
I used to put all of my cars in protectors, even the scrappin and import heat. Here lately when I buy a car it's got about a 50/50 chance of making it home intact, but once home the cardboard is history and the car is usually rolling around on my desk until I figure out where to display it.

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
Yes, I posted a long time ago about a big "opening party" I had, when I filled the top of a queen size bed 8" deep with waste blister packs. But, I still keep many of the old JL's encased from back when they were making cool cardboard.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Currently, I only have a couple of hundred open, but that will change pretty soon. After getting some great tips from Roy's BBQ thread, I'll be adding a nice display area in my basement. Then I'll be opening all sorts of stuff! I'll probably leave some of the older stuff on the cards, because I like some of the old artwork, but I will open a lot.

·
Premium Member
13,259 Posts
I noticed a few with cracked blisters. I've notice that some dealers at toy shows have blisters that are yellow from aging. Mint On Mint Card may not be true for many JL's when they are 30 years old. I think more and more about opening the majority of my JL cars.

·
Lookout the Mac is Back!!
8,413 Posts
I discovered that somw of my WL Postal Cards have yellowed plastic on them... darlk yellow... I chuckle when I see that because I believe that these cardboard collectors that go totally anal over card condition are gonna have this type of problem in 5-10 years..... loose is the best!!!

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Nope. I have JLs dating back to 94, and I've had no problem with yellowing, cracking, "leaking", or anything else.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
The blisters are all OK, but I have noticed that the old, purple cards don't hold up so well. They were hanging on the wall in my basement, so there was no sunlight, and the lights were not on that much, but the purple really faded. The red cards didn't seem to have any ill effects.

·
Banned
8,979 Posts
I to have taken well care of some of the older sets or cars to, realizing now that it was out of respect and that of pride and joy. They were at the time the latest and Greatest cars that caught my fancy but now, the new cars are increasingly getting better and better all the time and well, the old goodies are still nice and some of them cars you just don't see to often but I've found that all of them can eventually be replaced or bought again. Although at the time I wouldn't never open and try to personalize/customize them but now a lot of them are fair game! Some i look at and wonder why did I want that? Lol, the only reason on some is that back then being a completist, you bought the good with the ie: pegwarmer just to finish the release off. Nice Cards are great but not totally nessesary. That is unless its a Limited or WL car, then by all means the Card means much more adding to its disireability. Sprung Leaks? - A few blisters have had the glue desolve/dry up like and the blister does come off the card in small areas. - One Blister I remember just totally fell off the card. After the initial shock and surprise its like, no biggy.

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
RacerJoe said:
I to have taken well care of some of the older sets or cars to, realizing now that it was out of respect and that of pride and joy. They were at the time the latest and Greatest cars that caught my fancy but now, the new cars are increasingly getting better and better all the time and well, the old goodies are still nice and some of them cars you just don't see to often but I've found that all of them can eventually be replaced or bought again. Although at the time I wouldn't never open and try to personalize/customize them but now a lot of them are fair game! Some i look at and wonder why did I want that? Lol, the only reason on some is that back then being a completist, you bought the good with the ie: pegwarmer just to finish the release off. Nice Cards are great but not totally nessesary. That is unless its a Limited or WL car, then by all means the Card means much more adding to its disireability. Sprung Leaks? - A few blisters have had the glue desolve/dry up like and the blister does come off the card in small areas. - One Blister I remember just totally fell off the card. After the initial shock and surprise its like, no biggy.

you hit the nail directly on the head!
That is exactly the way I see it!

·
Mustang Collector
4,091 Posts
darkwiz said:
I don't see the cardboard for the 1 of 25 Mustang in that pile Puppycat. :)
Nor will you ever. This pile was actually opened and sent to someone else but I thought the picture was fitting. ;)

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Well stated!

RacerJoe said:
Racer Joe, a great assessment of the whole JL collecting scenario.
I have over 250 castings in JL Blister Card Protectors.
I have 200 to 300 or more JL castings loose on display.
Some I rotate periodically and some are on permanent display.
I have lots more that are still on blister cards stored in JL inners.
There are times that I have bought JL castings and opened them as soon as
I got in the car. Others I waited until I got home to open.
And still others I decided to leave them on card.
No easy answer. It more depends on the casting and my mood at the time.
No regrets on opening blisters and liberating the castings.
I like to do wheel and tire swaps from time to time.
It is all fun.
I have also had a couple of blisters completely seperate from the card.
No big deal.
One series that seemed bad for seperation was the purple card Camaros from
back in about 1999. I had a couple of those blisters fall off the card.
So I just opened the whole release and displayed the castings.
I do keep my limited edition and exclusive castings in their blisters for the
most part but not exclusively.
Some of the artwork on the early JL blisters is worth keeping.
This material we will never see again.
It is interesting to see the progression in castings and the blister cards
over the past several years.
And let's hope that we continue to see JL castings well into the future.

Cheers. Cobra

1 - 20 of 29 Posts