Hobbyist Forums banner

JL F&F Charger and Camaro

1K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  SCJ 
#1 ·
I have been running my F&F tuners and they have been running great. I finally prepped my Camaro and Charger last night (and I was a little afraid this would be the case). They run terrible. The gears don't mesh very well and it seems as though the rear wheels are out of round. The cars are bouncing all over the place. I know some people mentioned bent axels on the JLXT R1s, but these really look as though the hole is not in the center of the wheel. I ran it really slow and stared at the wheel and the axel did not look like it was moving from the center, but the outside diameter of the wheel was moving. I don't know if they re out of round or concentric. I'm sure I will overcome this problem but I am wondering is anyone else having similar problems with the Muscle cars from the F&F releases?

#4 · (Edited)
Round Wheels

Hi All:

Here is a link to JW's Speed Shop: T-Jets Lovers Place!!!!!!!

http://www.csonline.net/vwalters/

He sells a mandral set to help true out T-Jets front and back wheels. GREAT TOOL. I have made 8 different sizes from .375 to .345 for the Johnny Lightning Fest Slot Car Races. Used with a dremel ( ON LOW SPEED ) you can create any size tire you want.

http://www.csonline.net/vwalters/newpage1/P11.jpg

For the X-traction - Use a "true " rear and front rim on a straight axle to do the same thing.

#5 ·
I'm very pleased with how most of the XTs run right out of the box. But if you do need aftermarket wheels or just want a performance boost the Wizzard RA15W double flange wheels mounted on standard AFX/MT axles are pretty good. The Wizzard wheels mount up much better than the AJs double flange wheels and are less expensive. Whenever you mount a new standard axle make sure you chamfer the ends of the axle slightly with a file or a Dremel. This gives you a much better chance of getting the axle centered perfectly in the wheel. Another thing to try on an XT is the "power steering" kit. This kit consists of a special pair of lower and wider pickups and a steel guide pin. The combination works quite well and gives you a little more slide margin.

#6 ·
We had our second VRN-HO (Vintage Race Night – HO) “box stock” Magna-traction race (allowing JL cars) last night.

I again chose to run a stock JL F&F R2 Mazda RX-7 (Minus wing).

The car had only one race on it, and I did nothing more then tweak the shoes so that they lay flat on the track surface, and remove all that horrid white grease from the axle and gears replacing it with good old sewing machine oil. This is my personal lube of choice, as it is very thin, comes in a nice little applicator bottle and it’s cheap! I then put a set of press on silicone tires on the back and off I went.

Mind you this car has had nothing else done to it other then 12 minutes of racing 5 weeks ago including break in time! I had no ill effects of the so-called problems (wheels out of round, axle slop etc.) that some people are talking about. The car ran great!

Keep in mind I'm racing with guys that have over 20 years experience tweaking AFX Mag chassis, so no one in the pack is a slouch! When it was all said and done, I turned 107 laps on a vintage Aurora Tubby in only 12 minutes or race time!

-----------------------------
www.SlotCarJohnnies.com

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.