Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, JL fans I am new to jl, and was wondering if jl ever does any reissues, I was thinking like their motor coach series or the snowmobiles. Thanks for your input.

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
I can only think of 2 times they've reissued a car and both have been recent, Beat the Heat Corvette and the recent demo derby wagon. I don't think they have ever reissued those coaches.

Anybody else?

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
JL has "reisseud" or re-released about every casting more than once, if that's what you mean.

Find the castings exact name, then look it up on Wyatt's jlcollector.com and the site will tell ya all you need to know!

Here's the linc to the '73 Chev wgn. for instance, was reissued 10 times, which is about average - give or take.
http://www.jlcollector.net/944.html
Exact reissues...same paint color etc., happen once in a great while, or more like very rarely if ever kinda thing.

·
Registered
7,693 Posts
My guess is that the motor coaches were expensive to produce. I doubt they will be brought back. The same goes for the bass boat & pickup combos that were done years ago.

This was a gift from fellow HT member, ozmont

Thanks again, Kevin! :wave:

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
The Monoco Coach was released 11 times. Maybe it's run it's course or they could reissue it. Never can tell, but Mark is probably right.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Didn't know JL did a Monaco coach. Does it scale favorably to the cars/trucks or is it "shrunk down" some?

Related note - DCP does a motor coach in 1:64 which includes a detailed interior you can look at thanks to a removable roof. Yes, they cost more but are also much more detailed.

·
Silent but Deadly
4,359 Posts
If I recall correctly the JL Monaco RV's are smaller than 1:64 so they could fit them on the cards that they used back then. I have the set, including the one with white tires, somewhere in the many hidden boxes beneath the stairs...

So, no, they're not done to scale compared to the regular 1:64 JL's, but then neither were the Ski-Doos.

·
Registered
14,323 Posts
JL has been known to bring back a long dormant casting, the recent Army troop carrier comes to mind. I don't think that's a new cast.

·
Registered
7,693 Posts
The coaches probably come closer to 1:87 scale; they are longer than a typical JL car but they do not dwarf them as they would if they were 1:64.

I think pics of the DCP coaches have been posted in the past. They are nicely detailed. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
the motor homes were commissioned by Monaco and sold exclusively on their website. first year was 4 and the subsequent year was 6 (4 plus limited production run of the other 2 with one of them being the infamous w/l of which there were 600 pieces made).

·
Registered
290 Posts
Reissues

Hello, JL fans I am new to jl, and was wondering if jl ever does any reissues, I was thinking like their motor coach series or the snowmobiles. Thanks for your input.
Through 2007 [I don't know after that.] the policy was to never reissue a model with the same deco. There had to be something different, even if it was only a wheel or an interior color. That's what makes these true limited edition cars.

However,

1) It's possible that by mistake a duplicate was made. (Technically not a reissue.)

2) It's possible that a promo model was a duplicate of a mass market model, but this would be very rare. The Mayberry car is an example, but there are small differences among the releases.

3) I'd need all of the Dodge "Little Red Wagon" trucks in front of me to see if there are any dupes! Early ones were promos.

Regarding the motor homes, Monaco Coach commissioned that model and heavily subsidized its cost. It's expensive to make and you'll never see it in the regular line (2.0) unless Tom slips one past Tomy! (I'm sure the license would need to be renewed also.)

Mac :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
To add to what Mac has said, some cars were repackaged in different packaging if the original sets did not sell out. The Corvettes, Camaros, some Cover Car releases, Rebel Rods, Mooneyes, American Blue, and others were repackaged in 4 car box sets, as Canadian "Classic Chevy" sets, Street Freaks, or little single box cars in Cracker Barrel. Some Forever 64 cars are identical. Not sure if they were left overs or just done again. There may be even more than that.

·
Banned
4,640 Posts
To add to what Mac has said, some cars were repackaged in different packaging if the original sets did not sell out. The Corvettes, Camaros, some Cover Car releases, Rebel Rods, Mooneyes, American Blue, and others were repackaged in 4 car box sets, as Canadian "Classic Chevy" sets, Street Freaks, or little single box cars in Cracker Barrel. Some Forever 64 cars are identical. Not sure if they were left overs or just done again. There may be even more than that.
When i asked tz of the reissue corvette in forever 64 release 13, he stated he reissued it to get the most use out of the tampo plates, so seems they were made again..

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
Through 2007 [I don't know after that.] the policy was to never reissue a model with the same deco. There had to be something different, even if it was only a wheel or an interior color. That's what makes these true limited edition cars.

However,

1) It's possible that by mistake a duplicate was made. (Technically not a reissue.)

2) It's possible that a promo model was a duplicate of a mass market model, but this would be very rare. The Mayberry car is an example, but there are small differences among the releases.

3) I'd need all of the Dodge "Little Red Wagon" trucks in front of me to see if there are any dupes! Early ones were promos.

Regarding the motor homes, Monaco Coach commissioned that model and heavily subsidized its cost. It's expensive to make and you'll never see it in the regular line (2.0) unless Tom slips one past Tomy! (I'm sure the license would need to be renewed also.)

Mac :thumbsup:
OK, so here is my semi annual plea for Mac to do another JL book!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
290 Posts
Too Kind

OK, so here is my semi annual plea for Mac to do another JL book!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thank you. That's very nice of you to say/ask.

Check out these two. Tony K. did the first one in 2003 and I did the other one (blue roof/white interior) a few years later. I must have been asleep at the wheel that day. Still...It's not a reissue!

Mac

All photos courtesy http://www.jlcollector.net/

1 - 17 of 17 Posts