Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow, nice place--I like the decor! :thumbsup:

This was made long before the resurgence of D-C collecting-hence the really crude casting and plastic bits. :)

From this:

To this:

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, we gotta' a flippin' Custom Circus here! :eek:

You guys are really quite serious with your work! The cars are gorgeous--and I mean ALL of them. We have some exceptionally talented people here with the level and detail obtaining an art-form. :thumbsup:

I'm totally humbled by this experience and feel kinda' lame for posting these Mustang pics, but in my defense some of the castings you guys started with were pretty nice to start with. I've only got a handful of D-C customs and all but one were done around 15 years ago (including this one). None of them are as nice as all of yours, but I like them just the same and will share them with you here. :)

zeb41 said:
Those are neat Boss. What brand are they?
I really don't know Zeb, all it has on the bottom is a # and "Made in China"

Cheers..

·
Registered
886 Posts
Hey that 'Stang looks good. I wouldn't call it lame. Color change, wheel swap, nice detail and even Boss emblem decals. Plus, as you said, some of the other castings are already really good before they are customized. Nice work. :wave:

·
Registered
12,959 Posts
I didn't realize that those pictures were of the same car. I guess the Jekyl and Hyde thread title didn't sink in. Man, you made that thing look waaaay better than original. I wouldn't call your work lame either. I've seen what you can do with a slot car body.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey there Zebbie & Flyin' Bird,

Maybe you guys are on to something. Is it possible that people think it's two different cars? Nah, I'm sure most knew it was the same. This car was a lot harder than it looks. Major filing and grinding to get the body straight and smooth, re-work of the glass to fit correctly, and a total revamp of the front end because this casting is of a generic 69-70 car with no defining features out front to identify the year. The headlights are 1/32 backers for a instrument cluster gauges and the "Boss" logos on the side aren't decals (I wish they were), they are individual ID letters/numbers from Ho train rolling stock. The wheels aren't the best, but that's about all that was available 15 years ago.

It looks as though the majority of folks here are from the JL board--since 95% of the customs posted are that type, so I'm really the minority here. So far it seems if it ain't a Johnny--don't bother. I'm sure this will change a little in the following weeks. No worries--I have one JL custom I will post this weekend. Albeit small potatoes. Maybe if I go and buy a bunch of JL's for wheel swaps I wouldn't be the "weakest link". :)

I didn't say this car was lame-I don't think it is, but I did say I felt lame posting the pics--comparatively speaking, of course. I won't be posting any slot pics here because this board is titled die-cast.

Steady yourselves Customizers--I will be showing a few more off brands and Non-JL junk for your viewing (enjoyment?). No posts expected. :wave:

Cheers..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts