Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to know why the JcPenny Treasure hunt sets are not holding their value.They were $300 from the store and they dont even sell on ebay for over $200. :mad:

·
Registered
120 Posts
Because at $300 they were over priced to begin with.They usually dropped the price to $199....$149.....$99...and one time they went to $49.Hot Wheels dot com had this years for $149.95 last week.On the other hand I have seen "Just The Empty Box" from 1995 sell for $100 on ebay.Who knows what motivates people in their buying habits....Thanks...JIM

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats a good answer Jim.I didn't know that.I have 3 sets that were given to me as gifts and I believe the person paid $300 for them.I have the 1998,1999,and 2000sets.
Thanks for a good answer :thumbsup:

·
Registered
283 Posts
The Plus Side To This Is You Have 3 Consective Years, This In Itself Adds Several More Dollers To The Value,plus I Am Not Sure You Can Still Get Th's At Jc Penney's Anymore.i Tried This Year With No Luck.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Last year was the last one for "JC Penneys" Treasure Hunt Sets.Hot Wheels dot com had them last week for $149.95...Thanks...JIM

·
Premium Member
13,377 Posts
The only JC Penny Treasure Hunt set that consistently brings much more than $300 is the 1995 set. It's usually over $1000.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I sold my 1995 Pennys set for close to $1.400 in 2005. I paid $273.00 for it through Pennys. Wish I would have bought more. :p

·
Premium Member
13,377 Posts
Zom said:
I sold my 1995 Pennys set for close to $1.400 in 2005. I paid $273.00 for it through Pennys. Wish I would have bought more. :p
Thanks for the reply Zom. I have 2 JC Penny 1995 sets. I'm considering selling one of them. I bought both of them on the 'Bay. I didn't start collecting Hot Wheels until 1998, and that's when I started buying the JC Penny sets. I played catch up buying the 1995, 1996, and 1997 sets. The 1995 set was a KILLER for me! I paid $1250 for one, and almost the same price for the second set. I paid $300 for the 1996 set, and less than $200 for the 1997 set.

·
Geico ad . . . Offensive?
6,709 Posts
STUTZ said:
The 1995 set was a KILLER for me! I paid $1250 for one, and almost the same price for the second set . . .
WOW :eek:

I just cannot imagine paying that much for any Hot Wheels.

If I pay $1,250 for Hot Wheels, I better have 1,250 cars in front of me when I get the receipt :lol:

'doba

·
Registered
7,305 Posts
Seems to me that 1997 was the worst TH year...

all of them just had regular wheels and dull colors and/or tampos...I think the next year Mattel might have actually listened to someone and they started to improve after that... with some Real Wheels thrown in and better/more popular castings

·
Premium Member
13,377 Posts
I agree, the 1997 TH's didn't have an appeal to many HW collectors.

·
Registered
349 Posts
siggy said:
I want to know why the JcPenny Treasure hunt sets are not holding their value.They were $300 from the store and they dont even sell on eBay!
for over $200. :mad:

Simply because they weren't worth it to begin with as is the same with most Hotwheels. Its not as easy as just buying something and expecting it to go up in value.

PS. yes, the 97 set pretty much sucked

·
Banned
231 Posts
The problem with anything you want is how much you're willing to pay for it and some collectors are willing to pay anything to have a particular car or set in their collection. If you think about it they are all the same cars wilth different paint or tampos. I saw a buyer on the bay pay over $6000 for the MATEL EMPLOYEE PINK VW BUS only to see it a few months later for $1000 and no takers. That's mental!!!! Many collectors don't realize that there will always be another one available sooner than later unless it's a 1 of 1 which still doesn't explain the stupid money people are paying for cars these days. Even the new TH CHARGER was over $100 when it came out now its around $20 but there's always that group of buyers that GOTTA HAVE IT right away. The best is when you see two bidders going at it for the whole week on the one car without realizing that there are another 30 they could be bidding on. I guess if they don't complain then who am I to judge them for the suckers they are.

·
Registered
349 Posts
There's nothing wrong with being a newbie, we were all newbies at one time. The reason I said that is because you implied the set should hold its value or even go up in value. The problem is everyone is bs'ed into believing that anything new is good so the price gets jacked up. With the example of the 96 TH set either Mattel or JcPenny jacked the price up. The thing that bothers me the most about this hobby is this. There are so many hotwheels to collect that it would be impossible to get one of every one made. There are also so many older Hotwheels that if released today people would jump all over them but the majority of collectors only look at whats comming out next and will pay anything for it just because its new and they want to be the first to have it. Thats why the prices go up and then later fall back down when the next wave of new stuff is released.

The least Mattel could have done was make the rest of the sets like the 95 set, but no, they had to cheap out and stick us with some crap. The funny thing is that people still chase these cars like their gold. Some of them are ok but most are really lame.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Does anyone know the production run of Treasure Hunts nowdays?

I know in 95 it was 10K then 96 it went up to 20K. I'm not sure how many Pennys sets were made of those years.

It seemed like 97 they were the most plentyful. I was finding several a week back then.

·
Geico ad . . . Offensive?
6,709 Posts
fly__life said:
The best is when you see two bidders going at it for the whole week on the one car without realizing that there are another 30 they could be bidding on. I guess if they don't complain then who am I to judge them for the suckers they are.
Now that is Classic.

I've seen that with slot car auctions too. Two bidders going crazy on one auction, always a common car no less, and there are like two or three other auctions with BINs less than what their auction currently sits at :rolleyes:

'doba

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
BamBam said:
There's nothing wrong with being a newbie, we were all newbies at one time.
I didn't say there was anything wrong with being a newbie . I was a hard core HW collector from 1997 to 2001 . I stopped trying to collect every car for the year because mattel flooded the market with so many different versions and different sets that there was no fun in collecting them anymore . It almost became a chore .
So i only collected what i liked and eventually i didn't even look at them anymore in the store.
When i asked the Question about value i was just trying to get other peoples opinions on a situation that i hard my own answer for already .
By the way you gave a good answer also .

Thankyou Bob

1 - 20 of 21 Posts