Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is a Jane Francis Truck, the company was in business from 1942 - 1947 in Wilkinsburg, Pennsylvania then moved to Somerset Pennsylvania from 1947 - 1949. Originally a stuffed toy maker, they started making Diecast in 1945. They had some sedans and trucks, some had solid windows and some had the windows cut out (like this one). They also made some sets, like a Gulf Service station with a Tow truck, Lift, box truck, gas pumps and other items. I've never seen the set, but it books around $750 mint....

This truck was under restoration when the paint didn't work right, I tossed it on the work bench 4 years ago and forgot about it, guess it's time to work on it again. It's 6 1/4" long.

This is a picture from O'Briens Collecting Toy Cars and Trucks, 3rd Edition.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Wilkinsburg, indeed!

GeraldE61 said:
This is a Jane Francis Truck, the company was in business from 1942 - 1947 in Wilkinsburg, Pennsylvania then moved to Somerset Pennsylvania from 1947 - 1949. ....

This truck was under restoration when the paint didn't work right, I tossed it on the work bench 4 years ago and forgot about it, guess it's time to work on it again. It's 6 1/4" long.
Wonderful introduction, for me to this site. :thumbsup: These really pique my curiosity, as I have been a resident of Wilkinsburg, PA (a Pittsburgh suburb, and borough of about 20,000 folks) the past 24 years. Would you happen to have any "before" pictures of the truck, before you began your restoration efforts?

Wilkinsburg is a rather compact town. I'd like to track down exactly where these were produced.

Jim in Pittsburgh

·
Premium Member
7,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maz HOF 2001 said:
Wonderful introduction, for me to this site. :thumbsup: These really pique my curiosity, as I have been a resident of Wilkinsburg, PA (a Pittsburgh suburb, and borough of about 20,000 folks) the past 24 years. Would you happen to have any "before" pictures of the truck, before you began your restoration efforts?

Wilkinsburg is a rather compact town. I'd like to track down exactly where these were produced.

Jim in Pittsburgh
No before pics, I've had this for quite a while. Good luck finding where they were produced, please keep us updated!

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Hey guys please excuse this plastic model but I find it interesting that with all the very sharp edges on real cars and trucks back in the 30s to the 50s model manufacturers had all smooth and round edges. Looks like they were all trying to emulate the Chrysler Airflows of the 30s. Any clue as to why this was? :confused:

·
Premium Member
13,276 Posts
Thanks for posting pics of this vintage truck Gerald. I live in the suburbs of Pittsburgh about 5-7 miles from Wilkinsburg. I makes me want to have one because it was made so close to where I live.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Sadly, it appears that the picture links for the Jane Francis Toy vehicles have broken. I have not turned up any news about this company, anytime recently.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I recently bought a few trains from a guy here in Ga and it had two pieces of Jane Francis trucks in it. I was searching around to find more info on them and came across this forum. Also came across this link with a really cool example of the gas station. http://www.tnttoytrucks.com/GasGULF1.html

I have two of the box trucks and the car lift. The trucks have a model number of 447.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks, as cool as I think they are I will more likely list them for sale once I get a rough idea of value. Model trains are my hobby and can't add to that list or my wife would kill me. Other than ebay, what are some sources to sell something like this. Thanks and y'all have a great forum here.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts