Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone read the news release from RC2 regarding disappointing 4th quarter sales--and a discontinuation of the Ertl, Racing Champions, and other lines?

Oh, and I think there was a statement in the release about "repositioning the Johnny Lightning brand" to target younger customers.

The statement is on the press release portion of the company's website.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
It may be interesting if they did try targeting younger customers the way mattel does. It would lower the price for one thing. But if the quality inspector doesn't get on the ball, it probably won't matter. Kids get crabbier than we do when the wheels don't turn, or part fall of when opened.

It's a simple fix for RC2 to bring up the JL sales for adult though. I hope they at least give it a fair chance. On the other hand, I've had my share of trying to convince corp. thinkers to readjust their thinking and get beyond numbers. It boils down to this: if it's not working, it never will, so move on to the next thing that might work better. I, for one, hope this isn't the case here.

·
Registered
10,947 Posts
Yep, see several threads allready here on the front page. The main one being "Getting disgusted". Things don't look real bright right now. But JL is my favorite, so I am trying to hold out for some hope! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
69Stang said:
Yep, see several threads allready here on the front page. The main one being "I'm disgusted". Things don't look real bright right now. But JL is my favorite, so I am trying to hold out for some hope!
Thanks...I search by title a lot, so will dig into some posting to see what people are thinking about this. Not that I can't guess.... :(

·
Registered
33 Posts
That would suck for me being I just start collecting them based on the quality of the cars being above Hotwheels not saying anything bad about Hotwheels but I was looking forward to more of the good stuff from Johnny Lightning for those that have been collecting for awhile

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
At least they didn't dump the JL brand (for now). Hopefully they can devote some of the resources from the discontinued lines into improving the JL brand. :wishful thinker:

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
Tomcatslair said:
That would suck for me being I just start collecting them based on the quality of the cars being above Hotwheels not saying anything bad about Hotwheels but I was looking forward to more of the good stuff from Johnny Lightning for those that have been collecting for awhile
There is still alot of good stuff available on the secondary market from years past, if you happen to be a flea-market junkie such as myself. All this talk about the problems at RC2 is really unfortunate, but hopefully it won't affect your desire to add JLs to your collection. Alot of cool JL diecast has been produced since '94. :)

·
Registered
549 Posts
I think they should target the younger ones

DANG Guys these are only toys so why not target the young ones. They are the reason behind the " TOYS " AND as long as they can fix the Quality problem they will be OK. I know some of us get agervated when a wheels don't roll or their bent and the rim is missing etc,etc,,,,,,Nobody is perfect and quality can check every piece it would take too long. Its the operator that needs to check their QUALITY I know cause I use to be a Q.C.Supervisor, But I was also a operator.So give them some time to work out there bugs and things will pick up. :thumbsup: :wave: I just have alot of faith in one of my favorite diecast cars.

·
FnF: Fords n Ferraris
7,829 Posts
snowman66 said:
DANG Guys these are only toys so why not target the young ones.
The packaging states," Collectors in-the-know recognize Johnny Lightning as offering an outstanding selection of quality die-cast replicas, state-of-the-art tooling and unrivaled authencity make Johnny Lighning "The Collector's Choice".

Just like Green Light, they are adult collectibles. They just don't say so on the packaging.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Having been involved with Quality on several fronts in the automotive (1:1) industry, I can offer a few possible explanations concerning the current product. First, look at the problem then identify what in the process has changed to cause it. Simple. New packaging procedure. I highly doubt the cars are falling apart before they're put into the package. Production workers usually hate process changes because it requires reteaching the hands to do something different. As time goes by, the action will become automatic much like the old action was. In the meantime mistakes will be made. There is new packaging equipment to set up correctly and train people how to use properly. I think the damage were seeing with the Futura is directly related to these circumstances. I haven't seen or heard any complaints about the other newly released product. So perhaps the "Futura Line" just needs a little more tweaking. In the meantime, lets try to remain positive about what we hear and enjoy what we have while we have it. I'm not trying to tell anybody what to do but if RC2 realigns JL's toward a younger segment you may get your perfectly rolling wheels, but I'll bet a weeks pay the detail level drops off dramatically. That's why HW's are $0.97. I would truly hate to see this happen. And if it does, then Greenlight here I come......... :wave:

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
I hope that RC2 is smart enough not to abandon the core group of consumers who are buying JLs now. I don't think young kids buy many diecasts anymore, so it's up to adults and older kids to keep them going. They need to cater to us.

BTW, below is my favorite part of the JL website (from the FAQ section):

"Product Suggestions - How can I submit a product idea to you?
Unfortunately, neither RC2 nor any of its subsidiary divisions (RC Ertl, Learning Curve, The First Years and JoyRide Studios), can accept unsolicited product suggestions, concept or ideas."

In other words, we just don't want to know what you want to buy!

That stonewalling corporate attitude really irks me...

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
They have to do that for liscensing reasons. What I don't understand is the big "Oh, were lurking on your board, so just speak right up and let us know what you want, give us your ideas............" Say WHAT???? I haven't seen a whole lot of threads started by members of this board wanting to "realign the product".................. :freak:

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
BluntFronts said:
I hope that RC2 is smart enough not to abandon the core group of consumers who are buying JLs now. I don't think young kids buy many diecasts anymore, so it's up to adults and older kids to keep them going. They need to cater to us.

BTW, below is my favorite part of the JL website (from the FAQ section):

"Product Suggestions - How can I submit a product idea to you?
Unfortunately, neither RC2 nor any of its subsidiary divisions (RC Ertl, Learning Curve, The First Years and JoyRide Studios), can accept unsolicited product suggestions, concept or ideas."

In other words, we just don't want to know what you want to buy!

That stonewalling corporate attitude really irks me...
The fact that RC2 doesn't pick up on our suggestions like PM used to, is due to company size and corporate politics. PM was small, and more open to suggestions, yes. But the corporations will not often pick up on an outside idea. Most times, they won't even read an unsolicited email or letter suggesting product ideas. They fel if they invite such comments and they make something, even arbitrarily, that is like what you suggest, they could be open to a law suit. The simple reason (even it stinks) is there are people who make a living from copywriting every idea that comes to mind and sueing anyone who comes up with something remotely like their idea.

There are ways around this, sure. But that's the story you'll get when a company doesn't want to spend the time and money into having their employees go through all the crap in hopes of finding something the needle in the haystack they might want to use. And sometimes there's good reason for closing the door. If your company was loosing money, you would expect answers from your paid employees, right? Other times, closing the door seals out fresh ides and traps you with the incompetent people you already have on the payroll who nod when they're supposed to, blame the market, and scratch their heads a lot saying, "We just don't know what the people want." Hoping that if they say it enough, everyone else will believe it and they can hold onto their jobs.

The fact is, it's a fluxuating market out there. No one can afford to be blown every which way the wind blows. I don't like everything that's happening, but I try to offer fair citicism along with my gripes. I've said this before, the best thing we can do is support the product for a time and see if they work the kinks out. Who knows, if the JL line changes to a kids, these current castings might become rare in the current packaging. As I've said elsewhere, the things that do not generate big interest, become more collectible down the road.

·
Registered
5,967 Posts
they do need a cheaper line of product for the kids to increase profits but I`m sure the cars would have to have plastic bases.
As long as the continue the ones they have now I`m fine and to me I don`t care how fast they roll because I don`t want them rolling anyways.

·
Premium Member
1,719 Posts
RC2 will still bring the collectible Johnny Lightning brand of rides, no fear folks that is not going to change. THey are just looking into other ideas with teh JL name. Kinda like what Hot Wheels does with that name, lots of products for everyone. :)

Russ

·
Registered
5,967 Posts
Milezone said:
RC2 will still bring the collectible Johnny Lightning brand of rides, no fear folks that is not going to change. THey are just looking into other ideas with teh JL name. Kinda like what Hot Wheels does with that name, lots of products for everyone. :)
Russ
this may benefit the collectors also because stores may order more JL across the range of products.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts