Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cops 'n' Robbers

In the '60s, in the UK, the getaway car of choice, of your average armed blagger, was the Mk II Jag. Of course the Police had to retaliate in kind. The models are by City (cops) & Minichamps (robbers).

Steve

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HobbyRI said:
Wasn't there a lightweight version of the Jag built for racing?
Don't know about the Mk II - there were certainly lightweight E-types - although, some of the 3.8 Mk IIs were more than breathed on!

:wave:

Steve

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
We had one of these we worked on. It was the first RHD I ever drove. Different in that the throw of the shift had to be pulled diagonally from second to third rather than pushed as in a LHD. I found it surprising that sitting on the "wrong" side wasn't all that weired. Very cool car.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
I remember some of the car chases in that old TV show `The Sweeny´where these plus the slightly newer S types were favourites for villans - a 3.8 jag getting caught by Mk1 3 litre Ford Consuls (only on TV cos its in the script!!).
I have a childhood memory of one of these white MkII policecars on the A1 at the scene of the first car crash I remember -I always regarded my childhood Dinky Jag MkII and Corgi Rover 2000 as unmarked policecars - shame the toymakers didnt think of turning these out in police colors.
I have not seen a 1/43 casting of the S type (MkII with boat tail and skinny bumpers) -does one exist outside white metal? I have the Corgi Rockets 1/64 item , very nice....

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
SMS88 said:
I remember some of the car chases in that old TV show `The Sweeny´where these plus the slightly newer S types were favourites for villans - a 3.8 jag getting caught by Mk1 3 litre Ford Consuls (only on TV cos its in the script!!).
I have a childhood memory of one of these white MkII policecars on the A1 at the scene of the first car crash I remember -I always regarded my childhood Dinky Jag MkII and Corgi Rover 2000 as unmarked policecars - shame the toymakers didnt think of turning these out in police colors.
I have not seen a 1/43 casting of the S type (MkII with boat tail and skinny bumpers) -does one exist outside white metal? I have the Corgi Rockets 1/64 item , very nice....
"We're the Sweeney & we haven't had our breakfast"!

Ah well, at least Jack Regan, more correctly John Thaw, ended up in a Mk II, albeit a 2.4, as Morse.

As for the S-type, I only know of white-metal 1:43s.

Steve

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
jinx said:
"We're the Sweeney & we haven't had our breakfast"!

Ah well, at least Jack Regan, more correctly John Thaw, ended up in a Mk II, albeit a 2.4, as Morse.

As for the S-type, I only know of white-metal 1:43s.

Steve
Some classic car magazine yonks back said that Morse actually drove a Daimler 250 (cubic inch?)fitted with a Jag grill.The Daimler motor was much older and less powerful than the Jag motors, probably sounds different too.
Apart from Corgi, which other company made a 1/43 scale Morse Jag???? I have one,its not marked with anybrand name but its better quality than Corgi or Vitesse and the windows & wipers dont match the minichamps.......ANYBODY KNOW THE MAKER?

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
SMS88 said:
Some classic car magazine yonks back said that Morse actually drove a Daimler 250 (cubic inch?)fitted with a Jag grill.The Daimler motor was much older and less powerful than the Jag motors, probably sounds different too.
Apart from Corgi, which other company made a 1/43 scale Morse Jag???? I have one,its not marked with anybrand name but its better quality than Corgi or Vitesse and the windows & wipers dont match the minichamps.......ANYBODY KNOW THE MAKER?
I seem to recall hearing it was a Daimler as well - if so it had the 2.5 litre V8 out of the Daimler SP250 - by all the accounts I've read, an excellent engine

As for the model, I'm only aware of the Corgi - did Maisto do a 1:43 Mk II?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts