Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Oxidation Genius
31,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... with a few changes to suit my preferences and laziness.
Jakill's original concept is here:
http://www.shipschematics.net/startrek/images/federation/attackcruiser_rosenzweig.jpg (you may have to cut and paste to avoid the hotlink warning)

My version eliminates the forward pulse-phaser cannons 'cause I didn't feel like making them, moves the hangar deck to the aft of the B/C deck superstructure, and replaces the engines with some resin LN-68s:

Saucer from, of course, the ol' standby Ertl Enterprise.
Secondary hull and pylons, Evergreen sheet plastic.
Torpedo pod from, of course, Ertl Reliant.
Nacelles from Federation Models.
PNT Models saucer-mounted deflector.
Birdshot for the extra phasers.
Millenium Models (god rest their souls) etched docking hatches.
Some home-made decals and some JTGraphics decals.
And yes, the base is pressure-treated deck railing from my scrap pile.

I had a buncha little problems as I went along, so I cursed a lot during the build and I'm not 100% happy with the outcome. and dang, at almost 25" it takes up a LOT of shelfspace!!

·
Oxidation Genius
31,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh yeah - I've decided that starships designed for combat should be done in grays, instead of pearl white.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Absolutely, I agree it's beautiful!

But it does show one thing I've always held about most of the Jackill designs: I just don't like them. Which is too bad, they're well done and unlike the FASA designs (where it's impossible to line up the views of the ships) the views all match up!

That being said, I do have some I like.

And John, your build up is GORGEOUS. Fantastically well done! :thumbsup:

·
Oxidation Genius
31,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Absolutely, I agree it's beautiful!

But it does show one thing I've always held about most of the Jackill designs: I just don't like them. Which is too bad, they're well done and unlike the FASA designs (where it's impossible to line up the views of the ships) the views all match up!

That being said, I do have some I like.

And John, your build up is GORGEOUS. Fantastically well done! :thumbsup:
Some I like, some I don't, but his designs always give me inspiration and/or a starting point for another idea.

·
Registered
392 Posts
John, this is gorgeous. I agree that I am not a fan of most of Jackill's designs but they can be a springboard for your own ideas.

One question. I know a chap from Jersey named Alex Rosenzweig and he actually helped to write or create that book called Starship Spotter that came out a few years ago from Pocket Books.

Is this Rozenzweig class an old or new Jackill design? Just seems like too much of a coincidence...but it certainly could be just that. Just wondering if Jackill named the design after Alex.

Either way, excellent work!

·
Oxidation Genius
31,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
John, this is gorgeous. I agree that I am not a fan of most of Jackill's designs but they can be a springboard for your own ideas.

One question. I know a chap from Jersey named Alex Rosenzweig and he actually helped to write or create that book called Starship Spotter that came out a few years ago from Pocket Books.

Is this Rozenzweig class an old or new Jackill design? Just seems like too much of a coincidence...but it certainly could be just that. Just wondering if Jackill named the design after Alex.

Either way, excellent work!

It was absolutely named after Alex. Jackill does that kinda thing. He also has an Iverson class, a Waclawski class, etc. This class isn't new, it was first seen in Jackill's Star Fleet Ref Manual # 2 in 1993. There's an updated version in his new datasheet books.

·
Registered
349 Posts
John

Mega Cool! As always. I was thinking of building one of these, you beat me to it.

I hope to see it in person one day, without Hi-Way Hobby House I may not get that chance.

E

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
It's an interesting if not altogether graceful design, and John's workmanship is, as always, impeccable.

Not being familiar with Jackill's work, I'm curious about the concept. Is the long rectangular structure meant to carry interchangeable modules for various missions, à la Space: 1999's Eagles or Franz Joseph's tug/transport?

·
Starship Class
11,937 Posts
I think this ship should be known as the Payne class. :D

Excellent work, John!:thumbsup:

I like the long sleek lines interrupted suddenly by the weapons pod.

I agree with you about the paint scheme: the gray is more utilitarian and reminiscent of USN ships.

·
Oxidation Genius
31,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, I didn't design it, Jackill did, so he gets to name it. :)

·
Oxidation Genius
31,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Oh Good! Does Eric know? He asked me to do the same when I sent him the pics of the model.

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
Hmmm... I dunno if he knows it's been posted on SM, but I sent him a CC of what I sent to John/OneZero at SM, which is what I do w/all the Review Articles that I send in. I didn't think to shoot him an email about it being up on SM, but will do so now.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts