Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
Many thanks to all for the kind comments about the box art. And a special thanks to Fred Barr for doing the layout without significant cropping, which is something I specifically requested.

Sometimes I'll do a job expecting it to be cropped (like the Flying Sub), but the J2 is a little different with me because of events of the past. Although I never complained about it at the time, I will say now that I wasn't entirely happy about the way my original PL J2 artwork was cropped and processed. For those interested in what it really looked like, here is a link: http://www.hobbytalk.com/bbs1/attachment.php?attachmentid=83525&d=1243218066

I will also share a little history about the new art. The background was rendered from a photo taken by Jef Furtado during a trip to the Trona Pinnacles, where much of the effects work for LIS was originally shot. For the main subject, I used my own scratch build as a reference, as the artwork was actually completed quite a while ago. Yes, this is the same model that was used as a guide for the PL J2 design almost a decade ago (well sort of, anyway). I am attaching a composite photo for those who are interested.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
890 Posts
Exellent Box art Ron and Moebius! I dont think most people realize just how important commercial illustration is! I remember back in the late seventies when alot of the Model kit manufacturers went to photo art on their kit boxes. It just was not the same! There were kits that I would pass on because of a photo on the box top and not a painting! I know it sounds funny because with a photo you have a better idea of what the actual kit will look like but I wanted a painting on the top of the box at the very least! Photos on the side could tell me if the kit was worth my time or not. Heck if the painting was good enough I would buy the kit for the art alone! Yes the economy was different then and we all have to spend a whole lot smarter now but I still believe that packaging sells the product! So far Moebius has been outstanding in that regard with product that jumps right out at you and gets your attention every time! Kudos Ron! Kudos Moebius!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 72 Posts