Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Wonder what the "collectors" think about this...:p

GP
:mad: I don't give a Rats @$$ what the "collectors" think ! The HO world does not revolve around the priorities of so-called Collector/investors !Let them stick with Goldman Sach's for all I care !
HO is about having fun not just about making money !
If a revival of Marchon / Empire means that a few repops of old Marchon cars devalues some originals then thats just too bad !
I would love to see some new Marchon cars & remember increased competion means better HO cars for all.
Besides the old Marchons for all their many warts were real screamers around the track. They also had a great "Funk" factor !

Neal:dude:

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Wonder what the "collectors" think about this...:p GP
I'm always aware that a car that seems valuable can suddenly become commonplace. A few years back a bunch of Aurora AFX Sheriff's cars showed up, which lowered the value of those that were already out there. It happens and you need to realize that.

Anyone, at any time, can reproduce anything. That's why I keep a tight reign on what I'll spend on any one car. There are very few people in this world who care about slot cars, so when you collect slot cars you better do it for yourself and not for any future gains.

The only things that have universal value are food, clothes and shelter.

Probably 99.9999999999% of the people in the world wouldn't take your slot cars if you sold them for 25 cents a piece. Just like I wouldn't offer 25 cents for most of the "art" I see that others will pay thousands to get.

We saw a couple examples recently of AFX and T-Jets going for $1,200+ each. Just how many people would spend that much for a car? It's a piece of plastic, and most people look at it that way. Anything is only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it. If those "others" decide they don't want it, you're left with a $1,200 paperweight.

Of course, Marchon is a different case for me. I don't think I paid more than $20-$25 for any Marchon car; which will probably be close to the price of any new car produced. I would say most guys collect for two major reasons:

(1) You enjoy having and looking at the collection (and possibly enjoy the hunt)

(2) You can show it off to other like minded individuals who can appreciate the collection and then revel in their agony and astonishment that you have something they do not. LOL!

So if another company wants to repop the Marchon cars, go for it. I know what I have and what I went through to acquire it. If I was silly enough to believe that I was going to get rich selling the collection, well then the joke's on me.

I was discussing something along these lines with someone during one of the previous shows. We agreed that both of us have far more stuff than we need and that when we pass on, someone (to whom all this stuff is worthless)is going to have to figure out what to do with "all this crap he left behind". He was telling me how glad he was that his father sold all his trains before he passed away; otherwise, he would have had to sell it and he had no idea what any of it was worth.

So, if you have a collection it's for you to enjoy. If you're lucky enough to have someone to pass it on to, then that's great. Otherwise, when they come in to clean out your stuff, you'll be like the old lady who dies and leaves behind 100 cats.

Joe

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
(snip)

So, if you have a collection it's for you to enjoy. If you're lucky enough to have someone to pass it on to, then that's great. Otherwise, when they come in to clean out your stuff, you'll be like the old lady who dies and leaves behind 100 cats.

Joe
not true. slot cars don't smell if you don't clean their litterboxes. (or if they do smell, you're probably doing something wrong...)

good point, though. i was thinking the other day about what will eventually happen to all my slot cars...

--rick

·
Registered
141 Posts
i was thinking the other day about what will eventually happen to all my slot cars...

Your grandkids will sell them at their garage sale for $.25 each and boosa14's grandkids will make a fortune on ebay.

·
Registered
749 Posts
i was thinking the other day about what will eventually happen to all my slot cars...

Your grandkids will sell them at their garage sale for $.25 each and boosa14's grandkids will make a fortune on ebay.

Now THAT'S Funny!

Thanks, I needed a laugh today.
Later,
Keith

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Are they the M-5 cars that eventually were Rokars and then Life Likes?
No. The Lifelike family tree is Amrac to Rokar to Lifelike. I believe Cox may have preceeded Amrac. The M-5 was a Rokar design, continuing on in the Lifelike M chassis.

Marchon was the MR-1 car. It was purchased by Scalextric and the earliest MicroScalextric cars were based on the last Marchon chassis (and labeled as MR-1). Marchon had a couple chassis designs, including one that looked a lot like the HP-7. All the chassis use a can motor.

The biggest issue I believe anyone has with Marchon was the lack of quality control. The bodies could look like something out of a rudimentary art class and the chassis could be all over the map. But when you get a good one, it can be really smooth.

Joe

·
Premium Member
1,085 Posts
Wonder what the "collectors" think about this...:p

GP
I have been racing and collecting since 1962 so I have a point of view here. The repop will not hurt the value of the originals at all. If AW or Dash repops an Aurora tjet it doesn't effect the price of an original Aurora. If that was the case the Mona Lisa would go for about $5 on the bay.

I am willing to bet that the new cars will be easy to spot. The tampo work on many of the originals left something to be desired. I would like to see them do some jets and Merc GTP cars.

·
Geico ad . . . Offensive?
6,702 Posts
No. The Lifelike family tree is Amrac to Rokar to Lifelike. I believe Cox may have preceeded Amrac. The M-5 was a Rokar design, continuing on in the Lifelike M chassis.

Marchon was the MR-1 car. It was purchased by Scalextric and the earliest MicroScalextric cars were based on the last Marchon chassis (and labeled as MR-1). Marchon had a couple chassis designs, including one that looked a lot like the HP-7. All the chassis use a can motor.

The biggest issue I believe anyone has with Marchon was the lack of quality control. The bodies could look like something out of a rudimentary art class and the chassis could be all over the map. But when you get a good one, it can be really smooth.

Joe

Good info. We might need a Slot History-101 thread somewhere on here :thumbsup:

·
Registered
992 Posts
Got this reply from them.

Hi Dave
We are still in the product development stages and do not yet have literature printed.Do not expect to be releasing merchandise till at least mid year 2010.

Ernie Petit
President
Hawk/Lindberg Model
517 3rd Ave SW Suite C
Cedar Rapids, Ia. 52404
Tel (319) 390-8888
Fax (319) 390-8896

At least we have some what of a time frame.

Dave

·
Registered
5,553 Posts
Is this going to include track?

Or is it just the cars?

I only ask because there is plenty of track on the market now...
Development money may be spent more wisely in other areas...

Scott

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
:freak:my apologies for asociating marchon with rokar,thanks for the education on the family tree...i would like a couple marchon chassis though,they look cool,and i have a trans am body thats pretty nice,so it would be nice to run it...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts