Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks
For years, I've been searching for AMT's kit of the 1966 Plymouth Barracuda. I finally scored one at the Greater York Toy Extravaganze in York, Pa.
The question is since I have my grail kit, what do I do now? I feel a little lost!!
I'm open to suggestions!

Jeff

If you live close enough, GO to this show. It is two huge buildings with an unimaginable amount of stuff. The email is [email protected]. We made a two-hour drive, but I talked to folks who had driven four hours to get there.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,806 Posts
Getting down to finally build a grail kit is a daunting task. How far to take it?- a full blown modded project or simple build up? What color or finish (showroom or well used and loved?)
Lots of decisions- you don't want to short change it but you also don't want to see it for years later on the shelf wondering why didn't you do something differently...

I have a few in the closet of doom that are stuck in this ponder state- I have dreamed of having these kits for decades, now that they are there and I have one shot at building one that I do not want to make a mistake with.

Whatever you do, don't rush this decision- everything after this is just technique but this choice will determine which direction to take it and you need to make sure that you will be happy with it for years to come...

·
Registered
523 Posts
Getting down to finally build a grail kit is a daunting task. How far to take it?- a full blown modded project or simple build up? What color or finish (showroom or well used and loved?)
Lots of decisions- you don't want to short change it but you also don't want to see it for years later on the shelf wondering why didn't you do something differently...

I have a few in the closet of doom that are stuck in this ponder state- I have dreamed of having these kits for decades, now that they are there and I have one shot at building one that I do not want to make a mistake with.

Whatever you do, don't rush this decision- everything after this is just technique but this choice will determine which direction to take it and you need to make sure that you will be happy with it for years to come...
I know that feeling! I've had a couple of grail kits. Most of them have still yet to be built. One is the awesome-looking Arado E.555 from Revell Germany. I'm still too chicken to build it.

HOWEVER, I agree with MiltonFoxRacing: Just do it.

It's easy to get into the "what do I do" death-spiral with any kit, not just a grail one. Most of us only have one copy of a kit (Don't we, or am I odd?), and we don't want to say "Wish I'd built it differently...". Still, I find with most kits I think that anyway!

In all honesty, just build it. I built my 1/1000 Arcadia right away when I got it, ages ago, and I'm still glad I did. Could I do better now? Sure. Would it be as much fun? Maybe not. Sometimes we obsess too much. Pick a colour, pick a finish, and get 'er done!

·
Registered
528 Posts
I know that feeling! I've had a couple of grail kits. Most of them have still yet to be built. One is the awesome-looking Arado E.555 from Revell Germany. I'm still too chicken to build it.

HOWEVER, I agree with MiltonFoxRacing: Just do it.

It's easy to get into the "what do I do" death-spiral with any kit, not just a grail one. Most of us only have one copy of a kit (Don't we, or am I odd?), and we don't want to say "Wish I'd built it differently...". Still, I find with most kits I think that anyway!

In all honesty, just build it. I built my 1/1000 Arcadia right away when I got it, ages ago, and I'm still glad I did. Could I do better now? Sure. Would it be as much fun? Maybe not. Sometimes we obsess too much. Pick a colour, pick a finish, and get 'er done!
This "was" my Holy Grail kit, one of the most expensive kits I ever purchased. It was quite an endeavor, but a labor of love. I'm a big Harryhausen fan and have built figure kits of almost all of his "creations". The "extra work" I did on this kit...the skeletons were all white metal and I felt the legs wouldn't hold the weight of the heavy skulls and "bodies", so I re-cast the skulls and bodies in resin, making them about 1/4 of the weight of the white metal pieces. The kit came with shield images, printed on 100 lb paper. The faces of the shields were round, so rather than try and apply the flat paper to the shields, I hand-painted the images. I added the rock with a nameplate to the base and put the whole thing on a routered wooden base. So, build that Holy Grail" and enjoy the trip!

·
Registered
523 Posts
Great work, Rhino'! Good for you to build the model. If one simply wants to collect models, that's fine. But for me, to buy a model means I intend to build the model!
Amen! I almost never buy a kit I don't intend to build. I've done it twice, and it backfired both times. So, forget that!

·
Registered
7 Posts
For an important kit, I would stick with what I do well at that time. If I'm planning a new technique, I would practice it out on a cheap kit first.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts