Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I may have bitten off more than i can chew here but... I was looking through the "Evoloution of the Enterprise" blueprints (who else has that set out there?)
and fancy converting one of my old PL TOS E's into the refited U.S.S. Constitution. For those of you without these blueprints, it is essentialy the phase II enterprise, that has had its details fleshed out slightly but keeps the lines of Matt Jeffries design.
I thought it would be a nice addition as I plan on building a lot of 1000 scale ships. (that reminds me, i must order the Weefit ;) )

I shall keep you posted!

·
Registered
741 Posts
"You haven't had an idea in 300 years!"

So who knows the movie?

This sounds like a great project. No, I don't think you've taken on too much. Work patiently, slowly, carefully, and come here often with questions. That's why we're all here.

·
Registered
7,695 Posts
The thought of you doing it, scared me, and messed my pants! :freak:

Really, it is a good idea. That is the fun of ST modeling, the new designs that come out of an idea. Do post pictures, when you get them. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
UPDATE!
just to let you know whats going on.... i now have three PL TOS E's(new) the secondary hull on the refit connie is fleshed out and ready for sanding and a bit of shaping... thats for tonight. the new kits are going to be: the pilot version as the u.s.s. constitution, a production version as the E and the other one....? well, I'm thinking of making an excelsior. i need some info on that idea though. i have seen some suggestions as the registry being NCC 1718 ?

With the constitution refit, i'm at a loss as to how i'm going to make the diameter on the primary hull bigger. any suggestions would be greatly welcomed!

sorry the update has taken so long, but i go side tracked with a Klingon Bird of Prey that had been in my collection for ten years and needed finishing!

I shall post some pictures very soon in the next 48 hours!

Laters. C

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
Great job on those! I'm an old fan of the Phase II Enterprise and think you've definitely done her justice w/the shape thus far. :)

·
Starship Class
11,928 Posts
Great job on both!

The original prototype model of the Phase II looks to have been an 18" AMT 1701 that was modified to match the Jeffries' blueprints so you have a good idea for your conversions.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
the only picture of the Phase II i've seen is the one in "the art of star trek " book. I'm going with the plans that you see underneath the pictures i took of mine.

I kept resizing the plans of the TOS E till it was a 1:1000 scale, and then resized the picture of the "Refit Uss Constitution " you see in my photo's. the problem i've been racking my head over is; how i'm going to add roughly a quarter of an inch to the diameter of the primary hull. And make the bride and B, C decks slightly bigger!
I could keep it the size it is, but i know it should be bigger.

Then i've got to scribe the deflector grid on all the hulls!!!!!!!
Oh JOY :)

This is no longer a kit bash..... Its a scratch build!!!! ArHHHHH

·
Starship Class
11,928 Posts
Borz666 said:
Then i've got to scribe the deflector grid on all the hulls!!!!!!!

You can just draw the grid lines in. That would probably be more accurate at that scale.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Nice work, Borz. Might I ask where you got the plans you are using or would it be possible to post a link to them?

Chuck

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I bough those plans years ago in sci-fi shop here in the UK.(in Norwich I think)
they are part of a sheet that shows the evolution of the Enterprise.

It goes from the Horizon, the various incarnations of the TOS enterprise, Including the ERTL version of the E. Then, It shows the Phase II as the U.S.S. Constitution (the one I'm atempting to build) then the refit as we know and love!

Interestingly, there is also conjectural "McQuarrie" style ship, but redesigned to fit into the ST universe a bit better.

There is no information as to whom published these plans, I would scan them for all to see but I don't want to get into trouble over them! If anyone Knows let me know and i'll try to get permision.

Chris.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
PerfesserCoffee said:
You can just draw the grid lines in. That would probably be more accurate at that scale.
Ah Ha! good idea, i can do the aztecing first as a guide, and then pencil in the lines using the aztec as a guide! Thanx Proff'

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
A little later I shall post some pics of the secondary hull, she's almost ship shape, I'm still not sure about the primary though. I've worked out I need to add a quarter of an inch to the diameter but I still have no idea as to how to do this! Please.... your collective wisdom is required :confused:

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
i have an idea for you about that.
get some thickish acetate (or other flexible clear plastic sheeting) from a graphics or plastics supply. measure the height of the hull at the edge of the dish, and measure the circumference of the saucer. cut a strip of the clear plastic sheet, wrap it around and glue it to the hull, so that now theres a layer of clear plastic covering the outer side of the saucer. repeat the process until you have built it up to the proper diameter. then all you'll need to do is putty and sand on the top and bottom of the edge of the saucer to cover the edges of the multiple layers. (another advantage of this method would be that all you'd need to do is cut some small sections out of the model kit to give yourself clear areas for lighting the windows!)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks Razor, but wont be lighting this one!!!!
I thought of your Idea early on as that was pretty much the way I made the secondary hull bigger.... the problem is with the angled edge of the saucer, i would need to cut slightly curved strips as a straight one wont sit properly. I'd need to cut the strips with a certian radius.

And My Maths are REALLY BAD!

I'm begining to think there is no easy way on this one.
If I do pull it off, I might get someone to cast it.

R

·
0 Posts
Sometimes there is no such thing as an easy way Borz but looking good so far mate.

You keep going, i for one want to see this puppy sorted!

Go easy

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks for the kind words Ray, I'm just gonna stick at it. I realised the Diameter is the leased of my worries!

R

·
0 Posts
No worries Borz.
Ain't that always the way with modeling worries mate, just when you think you can't get any deeper in it someone or something hands you a shovel :)

Take thee some time and do the zen modeling thing, you'll crack the problem !

Go easy.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
i dont think my idea is as complex as you think.
just measure the upper diameter, measure the lower diameter. multiply each by pi (3.14). the top edge of the of the strip is the length of the upper circumfirence, the bottom edge the lower.

if you use thin enough plastic and cut long enough strips, all you'd really need to do is tack it down on one end (like under where the impulse engine will go), wrap it around and then cut to length as you go along. that way you only have to measure the height of the edge.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You know what Razor? i'm gonna give it a go. Whats the worst that can happen. My LHS has still got a ton of PL Kits in stock!!!!

Onward!!!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts