Hobbyist Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Playing Mantis, or should I say PREYING Mantis (as in preying on their customers), better known as Johnny Lightning, should be boycotted immediately by every collector who has any respect for himself, or has a brain to reason with.
The recent Johnny Lightning sell-out of their customer collector base by giving away all their back product to Walmart Canada, just proves this company is not in the least interested in its customers AT ALL!!
Most collectors that faithfully collected JL from 1996 to 2006 paid in the $3 to $4 range for their cars. Collectors might have had a nice little collection going, but it has just been grossly de-valued by the irresponsible behavior of the management of JL, or RC2, their parent company.
Can we expect further sell outs from other companies. I certainly hope not, but who knows? Will Mattel suddenly blow out warehouses full of old Hot Wheels and Barbie dolls? Will Hasbro suddenly throw their Star Wars rarities on the open market for chump change?
Johnny Lightning deserves a permanent boot in the rear, and I for one am done with this company. I can only hope others will see the light on this dog of a collectible!

·
Registered
64 Posts
I don't see the problem here? Why boycott my fav line of cars? If you have a problem with Jl don't buy their cars! Why should we, other collectors just stop buying their cars! Then they will discontinue the line entirely, and what would I collect then?
Hot wheels? The cars are no where near as detailed!!! even the higher end ones are not as nice! I am Happy that i can finally expand my collection for $1 per car. $4 - $5 cars only expand my collection slowly. Thanks to New Awesome Packaging, Cars that will stay in mint shape in the packages, are much more enjoyable!!! and some get opened to add to my displays. Some find there way to others who want or need that car! While i can see your point that collection values have slightly decreased, on the whole they also got WAY LARGER! I'm off to Wal- Mart to shovel the snow from the white blizzard of 2007! Thanks for all the Discounts JL's Walmart and RC2 We LOVE YOU!!!!!!! . Come visit my store!!!! I'm sure to have something that you might really like and it's a great Deal!!!! I can pass the savings on!!! Quit being so darn Grumpy!!! Collecting is FUN!!!!!!!!! I for one will never quit because some company gives me a HUGE DISCOUNT!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
So, youre saying we should boycott them besause back stock is going to wal-mart? If that's what you're saying, you lose, good day sir!

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Didn't we go through this last week ? :confused:
I guess every company that has ever blown out old stock should be boycotted too ?

No more Fords, Dodge or GMs , they have all had blow outs, probly some regional too.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
hurmmm

It appears the main point of your arguement is the VALUE of JL's, and since they were blown out to canada, they dropped in value...

Quite frankly... who cares, that means people can find the cars they wanted... cheaper.

90% of the people here don't collect for value... if your hoping to get rich off of a 3.5" toy car, you might want to rethink it a little bit because it isn't going to happen.

So your idea is to boycott JL's... therefor their warehouse will get even MORE backed up... then what? $0.50 blow outs?

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
Playing Mantis hasn't had anything to do with JL for the past two plus years. If you include them, you may as well include original Toppers and Harry Orenstein too.

1.00 retail JL's doesn't sound like anything anybody should complain about. I wish I could get some.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
well..... they can make money, clear their warehouses, and give the collectors up north some hope all at the same time.... I see nothing wrong with it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
LadyScary said:
I don't see the problem here? Why boycott my fav line of cars? If you have a problem with Jl don't buy their cars! Why should we, other collectors just stop buying their cars! Then they will discontinue the line entirely, and what would I collect then?
Hot wheels? The cars are no where near as detailed!!! even the higher end ones are not as nice! I am Happy that i can finally expand my collection for $1 per car. $4 - $5 cars only expand my collection slowly. Thanks to New Awesome Packaging, Cars that will stay in mint shape in the packages, are much more enjoyable!!! and some get opened to add to my displays. Some find there way to others who want or need that car! While i can see your point that collection values have slightly decreased, on the whole they also got WAY LARGER! I'm off to Wal- Mart to shovel the snow from the white blizzard of 2007! Thanks for all the Discounts JL's Walmart and RC2 We LOVE YOU!!!!!!! . Come visit my store!!!! I'm sure to have something that you might really like and it's a great Deal!!!! I can pass the savings on!!! Quit being so darn Grumpy!!! Collecting is FUN!!!!!!!!! I for one will never quit because some company gives me a HUGE DISCOUNT!!!!!!!
By all means, if you want to collect something, and you like JL,.... have at it. I'm just trying to enlighten you as to the fact that it won't be worth anything down the road, because the company is undercutting you (read stabbing you in the back) by selling the same product, you bought for full retail, for pennies on the dollar, whenever they seem to want to. But if you like being undercut, be my guest.

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
shaser said:
By all means, if you want to collect something, and you like JL,.... have at it. I'm just trying to enlighten you as to the fact that it won't be worth anything down the road, because the company is undercutting you (read stabbing you in the back) by selling the same product, you bought for full retail, for pennies on the dollar, whenever they seem to want to. But if you like being undercut, be my guest.
What does Playing Mantis have to do with that?

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
shaser said:
Collectors might have had a nice little collection going, but it has just been grossly de-valued by the irresponsible behavior of the management of JL, or RC2
These cars do not have any value greater than the purchase cost (in most cases less than the purchase cost) since they are overpriced in the US to begin with. The minute you buy them they are devalued since you already overpayed for them. The only JL's that have any long term value are a few of the rare limited editions, none of which were dumped in Canada. Even most White Lightning won't be worth much in the future. They'll be worth even less if JL goes out of business.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
LadyScary said:
Spoken by a true Canadian...the only people that are benefitting from this sell out. Typical collector mindset....I've got mine, so the heck with everybody else.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
BOOGIEVANMAN said:
Didn't we go through this last week ? :confused:
I guess every company that has ever blown out old stock should be boycotted too ?

No more Fords, Dodge or GMs , they have all had blow outs, probly some regional too.

I just may boycott this board, this is getting really tire some. If all I wanted was negativity I would go to CNN.
Hey, when GM blows out their cars to EVERYBODY for one third of retail, then you might have a point. But I've never seen that happen.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
TheDarkCutlass said:
hurmmm

It appears the main point of your arguement is the VALUE of JL's, and since they were blown out to canada, they dropped in value...
only because most of them ended up on ebay :rolleyes:

which really , is fine with me because there was no way I was going to pay $250 for one car I wanted .

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
shaser said:
Spoken by a true Canadian...the only people that are benefitting from this sell out. Typical collector mindset....I've got mine, so the heck with everybody else.

Really check out the bay I see lots of cheap Wl's I think that works for everybody, Are you qualified to make comments about true Canadians ?

I could make a comment about greed but that wouldn't be Canadian like, eh. :tongue:

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
shaser said:
I don't think anybody here was fool enough to plan their kid's college fund around the value of their Johnny Lightning collection. Well, maybe there was one guy........ :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
What does it matter if the JL's were sold for regular price or at a discount?? These blowouts are stock that existed, that was stored, then sold (mostly) all at once. Believe it or not, RC2 probably didn't decide to run out and make more cars just to water down the market. Your items aren't de-valued unfairly, they are being brought back closer to where they should have been, if all this stock had been sold at an even clip. I bet these scalpers weren't complaining about their auctions being over-valued (which they still are) when these cars were in short supply. I have a little self-respect and about half a brain :drunk:, so I think I will continue to buy JL's. Have a nice day :)

·
0 Posts
shaser said:
It's not about money, it's about fun, so get over it. Sheesh! :rolleyes: .

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.